Stock WRX vs Turbo Corolla? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stock WRX vs Turbo Corolla? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; v8killa your in MD right? I was on the corolla boards( c3, vvti.net). You have the turbo'd silvertop right? I've ...

v8killa your in MD right? I was on the corolla boards( c3, vvti.net). You have the turbo'd silvertop right? I've always wanted to check your car out. Derrek told me was fast as hell, but i wasn't thinking 12.3's congrats

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

wow, its embarrassing how you guys are treating v8killa for modding his corolla. There are plenty of other car owners that prolly wonder why we are modding our "subaru's". If you all did some research on the corolla(atleast 93-97) and its cousin's maybe you'd realize what that chasis is capable of and what engine's are available. Has anyone heard of club4ag?

Originally posted by skoobywrx
    it was this one.

Didnt mean to get everyone riled up.
    Yeah the WRX is not the fastest thing on the planet, but i think its a good starting point.
    With that car, i would have sold it for like 2k and bought a GSX starting with 195hp awd. I think thats a better starting point than a Corolla
    like I stated earlier. you have to work with what you have. although a gsx is cheaper mod for mod and will be MUCH faster...
    the corolla is MUCH more reliable, and MUCH better on gas mileage. you have to look at the big picture buddy. not everything is clean and green.

and like i said, i think a lot of you would be very shocked with the potential of the old school rwd corolla's and ae86's. the corolla became an econo box because of raised gas prices, and toyota actually sells more now, so i think they made the right move. it by far one of the best small compacts you can buy for you money. not exactly fast, but over all its a great car
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Thread starter, you may want to be carful, with that your and body style it looks like a 97, wich means the engine swap possibilities are more than plentiful, I have seen twin-charged MR 2 engines in them kit made by HKS for 2500 bucks for the 16v supercharged 4ag (totaling 13psi/ 6 on the charger and 7 on the turbo), the 3SGTE (MR 2 Turbo US & Jap model), any 4ag engine bolts right up.

Shark yeah that is me, Derrick knows why I left got tired of the BS but I don't think they were bashing me, I just think that they all agree that there are better platforms out there, which I agree but My car had 23 miles on it when I bought it brand new and it will be 10 years old next year so I am happy with what I got.

sorry guys my damn english seems to be off it should read (year and body style) and I also mispelled (which) sorry

didnt know that these cars had that much potential. Drove one a few years back, thought it was a dog. It was an Auto however, but thought it was a little econo car.

I know the AE86 are better, but thought the newer body styles were just slow dogs. If they have the potential to uber fast then more power to them.

Yes the WRX is not the fastest thing on the planet. But at least the general public, already knows that ours cars are pretty quick, ie Car and Driver........I havent heard anything from C&D saying, yes and the power for the Coro is fast and nimble.........

But again, i am no Coro expert

i have an 81 corolla sr-5... (meaning its RWD) ... 1.8 liter engine (3TC) ... if i turboed it, i would of been running 10s in the 1/4 all day and still be able to use it as a daily driver... but i got WRX instead... and in a way i still kinda of regret doing so...

didnt know that these cars had that much potential. Drove one a few years back, thought it was a dog. It was an Auto however, but thought it was a little econo car.

I know the AE86 are better, but thought the newer body styles were just slow dogs. If they have the potential to uber fast then more power to them.

Yes the WRX is not the fastest thing on the planet. But at least the general public, already knows that ours cars are pretty quick, ie Car and Driver........I havent heard anything from C&D saying, yes and the power for the Coro is fast and nimble.........

But again, i am no Coro expert
    the one he is referring to is slow as hell stock. they run high 16's on a good day. the thing is that it has a few different turbo upgrades and since the engine is quite reliable, you can push a decent amount of boost without worrying about blowing the snail or something.
    also, there a couple engine swaps available. its not that its a car with *mad* potential, but like most cars, with some money and the right parts it can be fast.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Originally posted by EvilCerealBoX
    i have an 81 corolla sr-5... (meaning its RWD) ... 1.8 liter engine (3TC) ... if i turboed it, i would of been running 10s in the 1/4 all day and still be able to use it as a daily driver... but i got WRX instead... and in a way i still kinda of regret doing so...
    I doubt it would be quite that easy. If it were so you could take any decent 1.8l engine and turbo it and "run 10s all day" but that just ins't the case. If it were though we would all be getting passed by cavilers and tercels.

And even more so it takes more then just a turbo to put a 350z or an IS300 into the 10s. Just because they act as if being in the 10s is a requirement of being cool in the fast and the furious doesn't mean it is easy.
    Last edited by LemonHerb; 04-14-2004 at 03:44 PM.
    -Andrew

I know the AE86 are better, but thought the newer body styles were just slow dogs.
    any 1.8 corolla from 93-up are faster(or equal to) stock vs stock against the ae86. They also, technically, have the same modding potential, except the fact that the 86 is rwd

I Support ClubWRX
    No way in the free world are you going to add a turbo and go tens to any car. You would need a ton of traction, a ton of boost, a ton of forged parts. Lets not make a ten second pass sound like taking candy from a baby.

"Once you hit that red button...your going to lose your floor pans for sure"
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

i was being brief... but if you want to get technical fine.. would you like me to list everything that i was (and more than likely) am going to add to get it to 10s?

any 1.8 corolla from 93-up are faster(or equal to) stock vs stock against the ae86. They also, technically, have the same modding potential, except the fact that the 86 is rwd
    the 1985-1987 GTSs (ae86s if you will) came with the 1.6 4age... only 1980-1983 SR-5s (TE72s) and some TE27s (i don't remember what years they were, 70 something) came with the 1.8 liter 3TC and were RWD

everything after the 85-87 GTSs (for the US... in japan it was 84-86) all corollas became FWD... AE92... AE101 (which the US did not get) ... unforunately the US did not get anything after the AE92, we got some lame ass POS

on a side note: the ae101 was a badass car, it looked hella nice and beat the pants off civics with easy... which is what they were aiming for (stock)... i really wish we got the ae101s...

Originally posted by EvilCerealBoX
    i was being brief... but if you want to get technical fine.. would you like me to list everything that i was (and more than likely) am going to add to get it to 10s?

the 1985-1987 GTSs (ae86s if you will) came with the 1.6 4age... only 1980-1983 SR-5s (TE72s) and some TE27s (i don't remember what years they were, 70 something) came with the 1.8 liter 3TC and were RWD

everything after the 85-87 GTSs (for the US... in japan it was 84-86) all corollas became FWD... AE92... AE101 (which the US did not get) ... unforunately the US did not get anything after the AE92, we got some lame ass POS

on a side note: the ae101 was a badass car, it looked hella nice and beat the pants off civics with easy... which is what they were aiming for (stock)... i really wish we got the ae101s...

good info, i see you know your corolla's. my boss has an old 1.8 3TC that he bringing to some guy in florida. for 6grand the guy is doing a suspension upgrade and building up the motor a little, then putting a turbo on it with supporting mods and other little stuff. should look nice, and handle well. supposedly when all is said and done he will be running 11's on DR tires.

not to crazy about the ae101s. the set up is nice, but the exterior looks like a cavalier. if they had that engine/drivetrain set up in the last gen corolla in coupe form... that would be nice
    Just call me Clark Kent

My first car was a corolla... an 88 hatchback auto. It was a hand me down from my dad, the original owner. I had it back in high school and even back then it was already 10 years old. I had some good and quite a few bad times in that thing.

Worst: Didn't warm the car up enough leaving school and it stalled right in front of the school... oh man... embarrassed to the max!

Scariest: Light rain in the morning and the roads were slick w/ the fresh rain. I came over a hill and traffic was stopped at the top. I didn't have enough time to react. I hit the brakes and they locked making me slide into the car in front of me. The funny thing about it was that the car in front of me was an old school camry w/ a rubber bumper like mine so we basically bounced off each other. No damage, just a nice jolt.

Best: My friend just bought a 97 honda civic auto and she loved to clown my car. So one day we were lined up at the light going home and decided to go at it. It was hilarious... i beat her stupid civic. Not by much but I beat it! The look on her face was hilarious... I still remember it Good Times.

Ill tell you why doing this is fun. I have a Nissan Quest Minivan that I carry my bike in. It has zex, the engine has been built stronger, and swapped with a nissan 350 Z engine.

It is SO FUNNY to kill civic kids with. I have a ticket as stated before for going 110 in a 35, and outruning a Celeca GTS, and a Cav with Nos. The cop didnt take me to jail, or impound my van because he simply thought the judge would not believe the van did that. Its just funny to do that with slow cars/vans.

I was given some info about an old, olds quad4 minivan, that has a HUGE turbo and puts out 800 hp. How would you like to see that on the highway? Its just amuzing

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast