WRX stock vs Mazdaspeed Protege - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX stock vs Mazdaspeed Protege within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Get new tires and the differnce in handling will deminish a lot. I have the STi suspension in my wagon ...

Get new tires and the differnce in handling will deminish a lot. I have the STi suspension in my wagon and with stock tires I would say the handling is pretty close to the same with the edge going to the MSP. But after getting 17s with good tires I would definatly say that the WRX handles better.
    -Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by LemonHerb
    Get new tires and the differnce in handling will deminish a lot. I have the STi suspension in my wagon and with stock tires I would say the handling is pretty close to the same with the edge going to the MSP. But after getting 17s with good tires I would definatly say that the WRX handles better.
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's Apples to Oranges. Factory stock vs. modded.

Obviously, a modded suspension can usually be made to out perform another cars stock suspension.

By that logic lets throw 18's and Tein coilovers on the MSP and draw another comparison.

Tough cars to directly compare since they've got different purposes in life. Both rock in their own way.

STi suspension is a dealer installed option, so in many considerations it is still factory. But new tires are not, but they make a gigantic differnce.
    -Andrew

STi suspension is a dealer installed option, so in many considerations it is still factory. But new tires are not, but they make a gigantic differnce.
    Kind of like the Acura A-Spec suspension packages? That's cool.

What do they get you for it?

It is to expensive, I think their list price is like 1800 and you get the inverted struts & springs all in brilliant STi pink, you also get a rear swaybar and the sedan also gets the aluminium controll arms. You can get it at some places, for cheaper then what the dealer wants.
    -Andrew

I own a WRX and A Mazda MP3 with aftermarket turbo. (MP3 was before MSP but without turbo). I have a T3 on my MP3 so it handles like the Mazdaspeed but with the power of a WRX. It will own pretty much anything on autox. You should just buy it and be happy.
    2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Belize Blue Pearl

2000 Yamaha R6
    10.123 At 131.9mph (Dyno Drags)
    111.1hp@wheel

2002 Aspen White 5MT WRX - Sold

But new tires are not, but they make a gigantic differnce.
    actually those are options as well

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I agree that the Mazda has the edge in handling.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

In 2008, the 04 wrx will have better handling then the 04? MSP because there will be no MSPs still running.
    All show and no go . . .
    Your car looks fast, but why's it so slo.

2002 WR blue WRX (RIP)
    2001 Imola Red BMW M Coupe (sold... )

Originally posted by eulerfx
    will MSP outhandle Evo or Sti?
    ...not a chance. The Evo can outhandle many exotics and is considered in the top 10 best handling cars in any price range and the STi isnt far behind. The MSP handles VERY good (the torque steer is a terrible though) for its price but its not anywhere close to the Evo or STi.
    Last edited by EVOVIII; 04-14-2004 at 12:28 AM.

If you want a good handling car get a mini cooper s. It should handle as good or better than an evo. It's not very quick in a straight line but that's easily fixable with an ecu reflash, pulley and spark plugs.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

Originally posted by EVOVIII
    ...not a chance. The Evo can outhandle many exotics and is considered in the top 10 best handling cars in any price range and the STi isnt far behind. The MSP handles VERY good (the torque steer is a terrible though) for its price but its not anywhere close to the Evo or STi.
    Actually The Mazdaspeed pulled a .88g on the skidpad and the STi and EVO both got a .90g. Thats not that far off. After the factory tires wear off the STi or EVO, if you didnt replace those $1000 dollar/set tires I'd say they would be about the same.
    2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Belize Blue Pearl

2000 Yamaha R6
    10.123 At 131.9mph (Dyno Drags)
    111.1hp@wheel

2002 Aspen White 5MT WRX - Sold

Originally posted by Hipswnger2
    In 2008, the 04 wrx will have better handling then the 04? MSP because there will be no MSPs still running.
    You're right, since there are only 03's and 03.5's.

Otherwise, people seem to have the impression that they aren't reliable.

Most of the problems are annoyances rather than anything serious. Squeeky bushings in the sway bar endlinks in the rear and perches in the front. Most of this is replacable under warranty.

I'm not saying all of these cars have been perfect and I understand sarcasm, but the quoted statement was just a little too stupid not to respond to.

A) i said 04? meaning i dont know/ care enuf to look it up.

B) "too stupid not to respond to" - I cant tell if that is english or not, but i think you are trying to say my comment is stupid. To respond to your comment calling my comment stupid, I say run to the store and grab a copy of consumer reports... you will find what you are looking for under the heading "reliability". That should be enough to silence you.
    All show and no go . . .
    Your car looks fast, but why's it so slo.

2002 WR blue WRX (RIP)
    2001 Imola Red BMW M Coupe (sold... )

Originally posted by adam3482p

Actually The Mazdaspeed pulled a .88g on the skidpad and the STi and EVO both got a .90g. Thats not that far off. After the factory tires wear off the STi or EVO, if you didnt replace those $1000 dollar/set tires I'd say they would be about the same.
    mY MAGAZINE IS FASTAR than your magazine!
    02 WRX Silver, 03 Baja Yellow

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.