mod'ed WRX vs. '97 Cobra
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on mod'ed WRX vs. '97 Cobra within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was driving home tonight on a 4 lane and saw some Mustang tailights up ahead. As I came up ...

I Support ClubWRX

mod'ed WRX vs. '97 Cobra

I was driving home tonight on a 4 lane and saw some Mustang tailights up ahead. As I came up on him, I saw that it was a Cobra, and immediately my face went

I pulled next to him, downshifted to 2nd, and took off for a second, banging the rev limiter, and then shifted to 3rd and let off the throttle to see if he wanted to play. He did, blowing by me. I put it in 2nd again, and he continued to pull. Shifted to 3rd, and the tables turned. I began reeling in the 2 cars he'd put on me pretty quickly and looked over at him and his passenger and wanted a picture of the disbelief on both of their faces. By the time I was shifting into 4th, I had a carlength on him. I held 4th for a few seconds before letting off, several carlengths in front of him.

He stayed behind me through a few lights, and then we caught a light together. I rolled the window down and shouted over, "what year is that!" That's when he said it was a '97, which explains why I walked him so badly. The light changed, and I waited for him to make a move, which he did, and he immediately jumped out in front, as I bogged a bit. Same story. Reeled him in and left him like there was no tomorrow in 3rd.

All in all, a fun little street competition. They probably still don't know what hit them. Funny thing is, I was only on my 290 whp map, and I have at least 300 lbs of luggage in my WRX, so I was hardly in peak race condition tonight...I was disappointed with that Cobra's top end. Past 100 I just kept on pulling him hard.
    Last edited by annointed; 04-09-2004 at 09:08 PM.
    "Don't hate me because my Impreza's beautiful"
    -04 FXT 20g'd 343 whp
    -04 FXT 35r/6mt 430 whp 11.6@118 on 93 oct
    -95 NSX SC'd 450 whp
    -70 Chevelle SS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Bummer I just did a search and found that the '97 Cobra isn't even up to LS1 standards. I was hoping they made at least LS1ish power...the '97's made 305 hp/300 ft-lbs, and apparently are BARELY 13 second cars: http://home.pon.net/hunnicutt/97CobraSpecs.htm

Still a fun kill, but I need to get beat by something one of these days! I saw a black Viper the other day... lol...one of the two cars out of at least a hundred street races that ever beat my '94 Impreza L was a Viper. He had 3 cars on me by the time I was at 130 mph when we shut down
    Last edited by annointed; 04-09-2004 at 09:49 PM.
    -04 FXT 20g'd 343 whp
    -95 NSX SC'd 450 whp
    -70 Chevelle SS

Thats one bad L you got. Post some pics of the car and the engine.

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Yea, mine dyno'ed 269rwhp bone stock...

They run low 12s with bolt ons, though...Watch out for modded ones with good drivers.

I have an Xpipe, flows, steeda pulleys, a triax shifter, and some 4.10 gears...with just some longtubes, an intake, and a throttle body, I'd be good for 12.3s@110-112 on drag radials.

Dont know why you were disappointed to hear it was a 97...until 03, the cobra's werent THAT fast in stock form...
    2003 SRT-4

Good kill man... nice to see some top end on the WRX's. 18G treatin ya nice huh?

Honest too god when I was stage 2 I pulled a 98 cobra from 2nd through the end of 3rd ...then we shut down..not that impressive stock.
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

Originally posted by 13secwrx
    Honest too god when I was stage 2 I pulled a 98 cobra from 2nd through the end of 3rd ...then we shut down..not that impressive stock.
    NEWS FLASH: Your cars are not that impressive stock either.
    99 Cobra- Rio Red
    286rwhp 290rwtq (stock)
    MODS- Steeda Tri-ax shifter, Eibach springs, 03 Cobra Bilstein shocks, Bassini X-pipe w/cats

89 Saleen #342 Mods:Cobra intake,B303 cam,65mm throttle body,75mm bullet mass air,stock ported heads,24lb injectors,1.72 rocker arms,shorty headers,BBK hi-flow cats,2 chamber flowmasters,3.55 gears

236rwhp 276rwtq - Modded

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by 281cobra
    NEWS FLASH: Your cars are not that impressive stock either.
    A stock WRX is only impressive off the line...an STi on the other hand...

-04 FXT 20g'd 343 whp
    -95 NSX SC'd 450 whp
    -70 Chevelle SS

Originally posted by annointed
    A stock WRX is only impressive off the line...an STi on the other hand...

STI's are impressive but I'm a V8 man. I'm waiting for Ford to release the 05 Mustang so I can cut me a deal on a 04 Cobra.

I got two friends with 03 Cobra's running 11.70's with just a pulley, a tune, CAI, catback system and DR's. Now that's impressive.
    99 Cobra- Rio Red
    286rwhp 290rwtq (stock)
    MODS- Steeda Tri-ax shifter, Eibach springs, 03 Cobra Bilstein shocks, Bassini X-pipe w/cats

89 Saleen #342 Mods:Cobra intake,B303 cam,65mm throttle body,75mm bullet mass air,stock ported heads,24lb injectors,1.72 rocker arms,shorty headers,BBK hi-flow cats,2 chamber flowmasters,3.55 gears

236rwhp 276rwtq - Modded

no need to get pantys in an up roar. My wrx is nothing stock and even now its decent at best. But my point was that the all mighty cobra is supposed to be a bit more impressive then my car was stock. NO disrespect to your car but the 03's live up to the hype.
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)

"all mighty cobra"

I still dont get why ricers think that...

The cobra is a great platform, which is why it commands respect...but before 03, they were horribly undergeared from the factory, and their exhaust systems were very restrictive...

Run into an intelligently modded one, and then see what happens...

THEN you can call it the almighty cobra...

but stock, it doenst deserve that monacre
    2003 SRT-4

Where Im from if you own a v8...Its all mighty....lol...Im just quoting them. Dont mean to flame.
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)

Where Im from if you own a v8...Its all mighty....lol...Im just quoting them. Dont mean to flame.
    No, I didnt think you were...I was just trying to disspell this myth that everything with a v8 is fast! The truth is, in most cases, the cars are just great platforms to start on...
    2003 SRT-4

no need to get pantys in an up roar. My wrx is nothing stock and even now its decent at best. But my point was that the all mighty cobra is supposed to be a bit more impressive then my car was stock. NO disrespect to your car but the 03's live up to the hype.
    No disrespect to the WRX either but come on give me a break. Mustangs were racing and going fast long before anybody ever heard of the name Subaru.

As far as the hype goes Ford has been improving the Cobra since 93. They started with the old pushrod 5.0L with 240 hp then to the DOHC 4.6L with 305 hp then 320 hp. Now we have a SC 4.6L 390 hp (really about 420 hp) that can easily be modded 550 hp (at the flywheel).

I'm old enough to have seen the rise and fall and rise again of the American V8. I like what's going on with the import crowd too. They've gone from pretender to some serious competition. It's some of the attitude that piss me off. Other than that, as far as I'm concern, these are the good old days.
    Last edited by 281cobra; 04-11-2004 at 02:18 PM.
    99 Cobra- Rio Red
    286rwhp 290rwtq (stock)

236rwhp 276rwtq - Modded

Originally posted by 281cobra

I'm old enough to have seen the rise and fall and rise again of the American V8. I like what's going on with the import crowd too. They've gone from pretender to some serious competition. It's some of the attitude that piss me off. Other than that, as far as I'm concern, these are the good old days.
    Respect . I'm a big fan of "fast cars", Period.

You get a thumbs up in my book, man.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.