Fast cars that are slow off the line
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fast cars that are slow off the line within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well my friend has an Audi 6 with a turbo, its the 2.7L with 250 hp. We went out of ...

Fast cars that are slow off the line

Well my friend has an Audi 6 with a turbo, its the 2.7L with 250 hp. We went out of town recently and the thing is a joke off the line, I think it takes almost 7 seconds to hit 60 plus he has an automatic, I would constantly leave him in the dust from a stop. When we got on the freeway however, he had no problems keeping up with and sometimes even pushing past me at higher speeds. Any idea why cars like this and some Jags and Mercedes suck 0-60 but can run you down and even pass you in the open? Maybe because they are too heavy to get good 0-60 times?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

heavy, and a lot of them have traction control systems that unless turned off make it hard to launch it good, or get good power down low.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

tan
    mine is the opposite.

Slow car that is fast off the line

0-60mph is all about traction and power to weight ratios.

The farther over 60mph you get, the game shifts strongly to power vs. aerodynamics. Above 100mph, vehicle weight means very little.

I stayed right with an M5 from a roll up to about 70, but I know if we had kept going my power to weight advantage would disappear quickly and the M5's 400+ hp versus aerodynamics would crush me.

I've also been passed by an M5 on a track straightaway like I was standing still. I was going 110 at the end, he was going at least 120 and he started a few cars behind me.

-AndyW
    Last edited by AndyW318; 04-09-2004 at 11:15 AM.

I have a A6 2.7t also let me tell you that motor has the most turbo lag i have ever seen

alot of turbolag = slow 0-60 (and btw 0-60 in 6.7 seconds is not bad for such a heavy sedan)
    Turbo car that has turbo lag = probably very fast after 80 mph

its the same engine as the old S4 and an S4 can beat an Wrx and top end there is no question the S4 will be alott faster Imagine if it didnt have any turbo lag the wrx would not be able to keep up with it even low end \

where the real power kicks in is after 80
    My cars:
    2008 VW GTI, DSG
    14.269@96.3 Bone Stock!
    2002 Hyundai Elantra GT MT

Family:
    2003 Audi RS6 (Sold will be missed,used to be my dads.)
    2004 Subaru Forester XT (Family car)
    15.3@90.5 Stock

You need to look at the weight, WHP, and the gear ration, one of the most over looked factors.

Gear ration

Gear ration

WRX has great gears for of the line jumps, but suck for highway racing.

Originally posted by Drod
    You need to look at the weight, WHP, and the gear ration, one of the most over looked factors.

Gear ration

Gear ration

WRX has great gears for of the line jumps, but suck for highway racing.
    That means when you run out of gears you have to "ration" your gears
    02 WRX Silver, 03 Baja Yellow

Originally posted by audirs6
    I have a A6 2.7t also let me tell you that motor has the most turbo lag i have ever seen

alot of turbolag = slow 0-60 (and btw 0-60 in 6.7 seconds is not bad for such a heavy sedan)
    Turbo car that has turbo lag = probably very fast after 80 mph

its the same engine as the old S4 and an S4 can beat an Wrx and top end there is no question the S4 will be alott faster Imagine if it didnt have any turbo lag the wrx would not be able to keep up with it even low end \

where the real power kicks in is after 80
    Uh, that motor has absolutely no lag. I have no idea what you feel. Perhaps the auto shifts at a point that doesn't allow the turbo's to stay in boost. A bi-turbo S4 is about the same as a WRX performance wise < 100 mph. At that point is is simply a driver's race. Once you get to about 100, you are into 4th gear in a WRX and that is where it's weakness lies. Only at that point will a stock vs stock S4 start to pull on a WRX, with equal drivers. Again, what lag?

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Samirr76
    That means when you run out of gears you have to "ration" your gears
    ROF!!! Reminds me of the coach on hellrunner.com or whatever that site is, when he says "Good jorb" to the guys...lol...
    "Don't hate me because my Impreza's beautiful"
    -04 FXT 20g'd 343 whp
    -04 FXT 35r/6mt 430 whp
    -95 NSX SC'd 385 whp

I Support ClubWRX
    Most of these cars that are slow 0-60 it's because of weight and gearing. A lot of these cars that you're thinking of are a) heavy and B) german. Heavy cars take a bit to get moving. And german cars are generally geared for higher speed (bahn stormers) and therefore aren't the best 0-60.

S4's have lag? where was I when that heppened?
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

uke
    Originally posted by annointed
    ROF!!! Reminds me of the coach on hellrunner.com or whatever that site is, when he says "Good jorb" to the guys...lol...
    that would be homestarrunner, with coach Z talking. GET IT RIGHT!!!

Originally posted by MidKnight
    No man, they don't. I don't know what he is feeling in his A6.

str
    My friend has a 1968 GTO and a 64 Corvette Convertible and both are a little slow off the line but once they get going they are beasts on the highway. He once had the Vette up to 150mph on the highway.
    2004 Black Forester XT

Originally posted by MidKnight
    Most of these cars that are slow 0-60 it's because of weight and gearing. A lot of these cars that you're thinking of are a) heavy and B) german. Heavy cars take a bit to get moving. And german cars are generally geared for higher speed (bahn stormers) and therefore aren't the best 0-60.

basically what he said applies to almost every high end Euro cars like the Audi, BMW, MB, Jaguar, etc. with the exception of the performance division such as M cars, AMGs, Audi Ss, Jag type-Rs, etc.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

Originally posted by str
    My friend has a 1968 GTO and a 64 Corvette Convertible and both are a little slow off the line but once they get going they are beasts on the highway. He once had the Vette up to 150mph on the highway.

my car see 150 once in while i haven't ever topped out because iam scared and my car is german and fast
    if its not fast it better be a show car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast