Fast cars that are slow off the line
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

This is a discussion on Fast cars that are slow off the line within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well my friend has an Audi 6 with a turbo, its the 2.7L with 250 hp. We went out of ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    275

    Fast cars that are slow off the line

    Well my friend has an Audi 6 with a turbo, its the 2.7L with 250 hp. We went out of town recently and the thing is a joke off the line, I think it takes almost 7 seconds to hit 60 plus he has an automatic, I would constantly leave him in the dust from a stop. When we got on the freeway however, he had no problems keeping up with and sometimes even pushing past me at higher speeds. Any idea why cars like this and some Jags and Mercedes suck 0-60 but can run you down and even pass you in the open? Maybe because they are too heavy to get good 0-60 times?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User ebr0t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    U of Central Florida (Orlando)
    Posts
    15,307
    heavy, and a lot of them have traction control systems that unless turned off make it hard to launch it good, or get good power down low.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

    Peter North > *

  4. #3
    tan
    tan is offline
    Thinking Man's Engine tan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Wharton, NJ
    Posts
    3,014
    mine is the opposite.

    Slow car that is fast off the line

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    9
    0-60mph is all about traction and power to weight ratios.

    The farther over 60mph you get, the game shifts strongly to power vs. aerodynamics. Above 100mph, vehicle weight means very little.

    I stayed right with an M5 from a roll up to about 70, but I know if we had kept going my power to weight advantage would disappear quickly and the M5's 400+ hp versus aerodynamics would crush me.

    I've also been passed by an M5 on a track straightaway like I was standing still. I was going 110 at the end, he was going at least 120 and he started a few cars behind me.

    -AndyW
    Last edited by AndyW318; 04-09-2004 at 11:15 AM.

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    243
    I have a A6 2.7t also let me tell you that motor has the most turbo lag i have ever seen

    alot of turbolag = slow 0-60 (and btw 0-60 in 6.7 seconds is not bad for such a heavy sedan)
    Turbo car that has turbo lag = probably very fast after 80 mph

    its the same engine as the old S4 and an S4 can beat an Wrx and top end there is no question the S4 will be alott faster Imagine if it didnt have any turbo lag the wrx would not be able to keep up with it even low end \

    where the real power kicks in is after 80
    My cars:
    2008 VW GTI, DSG
    14.269@96.3 Bone Stock!
    2002 Hyundai Elantra GT MT

    Family:
    2003 Audi RS6 (Sold will be missed,used to be my dads.)
    2004 Subaru Forester XT (Family car)
    15.3@90.5 Stock

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    McLean, VA
    Posts
    570
    You need to look at the weight, WHP, and the gear ration, one of the most over looked factors.


    Gear ration

    Gear ration

    WRX has great gears for of the line jumps, but suck for highway racing.

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Fl33tw00d, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    92
    Originally posted by Drod
    You need to look at the weight, WHP, and the gear ration, one of the most over looked factors.


    Gear ration

    Gear ration

    WRX has great gears for of the line jumps, but suck for highway racing.
    That means when you run out of gears you have to "ration" your gears
    02 WRX Silver, 03 Baja Yellow

  9. #8
    Registered User 2001S4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    845
    Originally posted by audirs6
    I have a A6 2.7t also let me tell you that motor has the most turbo lag i have ever seen

    alot of turbolag = slow 0-60 (and btw 0-60 in 6.7 seconds is not bad for such a heavy sedan)
    Turbo car that has turbo lag = probably very fast after 80 mph

    its the same engine as the old S4 and an S4 can beat an Wrx and top end there is no question the S4 will be alott faster Imagine if it didnt have any turbo lag the wrx would not be able to keep up with it even low end \

    where the real power kicks in is after 80
    Uh, that motor has absolutely no lag. I have no idea what you feel. Perhaps the auto shifts at a point that doesn't allow the turbo's to stay in boost. A bi-turbo S4 is about the same as a WRX performance wise < 100 mph. At that point is is simply a driver's race. Once you get to about 100, you are into 4th gear in a WRX and that is where it's weakness lies. Only at that point will a stock vs stock S4 start to pull on a WRX, with equal drivers. Again, what lag?

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Atlantic City, NJ
    Posts
    214
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Samirr76
    That means when you run out of gears you have to "ration" your gears
    ROF!!! Reminds me of the coach on hellrunner.com or whatever that site is, when he says "Good jorb" to the guys...lol...
    "Don't hate me because my Impreza's beautiful"
    -04 FXT 20g'd 343 whp
    -04 FXT 35r/6mt 430 whp
    -95 NSX SC'd 385 whp

  11. #10
    Moderator MidKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bergen, NJ
    Posts
    4,711
    I Support ClubWRX
    Most of these cars that are slow 0-60 it's because of weight and gearing. A lot of these cars that you're thinking of are a) heavy and B) german. Heavy cars take a bit to get moving. And german cars are generally geared for higher speed (bahn stormers) and therefore aren't the best 0-60.

    S4's have lag? where was I when that heppened?
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

  12. #11
    uke
    uke is offline
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    832
    Originally posted by annointed
    ROF!!! Reminds me of the coach on hellrunner.com or whatever that site is, when he says "Good jorb" to the guys...lol...
    that would be homestarrunner, with coach Z talking. GET IT RIGHT!!!

  13. #12
    Registered User 2001S4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    845
    Originally posted by MidKnight
    S4's have lag? where was I when that heppened?
    No man, they don't. I don't know what he is feeling in his A6.

  14. #13
    str
    str is offline
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    DE
    Posts
    543
    My friend has a 1968 GTO and a 64 Corvette Convertible and both are a little slow off the line but once they get going they are beasts on the highway. He once had the Vette up to 150mph on the highway.
    2004 Black Forester XT

  15. #14
    Registered User FrankW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Diamond Bar CA
    Posts
    358
    Originally posted by MidKnight
    Most of these cars that are slow 0-60 it's because of weight and gearing. A lot of these cars that you're thinking of are a) heavy and B) german. Heavy cars take a bit to get moving. And german cars are generally geared for higher speed (bahn stormers) and therefore aren't the best 0-60.

    S4's have lag? where was I when that heppened?
    basically what he said applies to almost every high end Euro cars like the Audi, BMW, MB, Jaguar, etc. with the exception of the performance division such as M cars, AMGs, Audi Ss, Jag type-Rs, etc.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

  16. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    202
    Originally posted by str
    My friend has a 1968 GTO and a 64 Corvette Convertible and both are a little slow off the line but once they get going they are beasts on the highway. He once had the Vette up to 150mph on the highway.

    my car see 150 once in while i haven't ever topped out because iam scared and my car is german and fast
    if its not fast it better be a show car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •