Modded V6 Mustang vs My STi
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Modded V6 Mustang vs My STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; On my way to work this guy in a V6 Mustang gets right on my rear bumper. First off this ...

Modded V6 Mustang vs My STi

On my way to work this guy in a V6 Mustang gets right on my rear bumper. First off this isn't you average girly V6 Mustang. He has a ground effects kit on it, performance stickers on the windows, loud exhaust - most likely Flowmaster ) and so on.

I was in the middle lane and the road was clear on my right and on my left, but he chose to stay on my rear bumper. He basically wanted me to try and lose him.

I didn't fall for it because there was a red light just up the road. As I pulled up to the red light he quickly darted over in the right hand lane to get next to me. I could hear his music playing loudly and an occasional rev of his engine (flowmaster exhaust). He definately wanted to race.

I just waited. The light turned green and he nailed it. I give him the jump and then reacted. He got about a 1 car lead but by the middle of 2nd gear I was blasting by him like he was sitting still. I went up to about 70- 80mph and let off. I had several cars on him.

Then we get caught at the next light and his music is even louder. I expected him to go at it again but when the light turned green he just waited. So I slowly rolled off the light and went on my way. He just drove slowly and stayed way behind me.

I guess he got what he wanted. A chance to race an STi.

First off I know it was only a V6 Mustang - but hey, you never know whats under the hood. Last Saturday at the track there was a 50ish year old man with a Camaro that looked just like a V6 Camaro. It had no Z28 badges, V6 Camaro looking exhaust, cheap rusty looking oem wheels, etc. A 100% total sleeper. He was running
    12.50s in the 1/4 mile. I ask him what he had done to it and it had an modded LTI with a cam, A4 automatic with a shift kit and a high stall.

So you can't always judge a book by its cover.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Modded V6 Mustang vs My STi

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    First off this isn't you average girly V6 Mustang. He has a ground effects kit on it, performance stickers on the windows, loud exhaust

He must have been pushing 330+ hp with those mods. The only reason he got a car on you is you let him. Those cars are rediculously slow, it's not even funny. I would beat my friend's bolt-on V6 Camaro at the track all the time in my Saturn, and those were faster than the V6 Mustangs.
    It's a different story than the guy at the track with the v-6 "looking" Camaro.

Oh well, the guy got what was coming to him if he was stupid enough to egg you on. Guess he thought he could beat on some little Japanese car with his big bad muscle car.
    2007 Space Grey w/ Coral BMW 335 Coupe

2002 Blue WRX 5 speed SOLD

1987 Grand National - sold
    -12.01@113

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    v6 mustangs are DOGS...Even on the spray they run high 13s at best, without tearing into their engine...

That z28 guy sounds like me...I took my badging off too. Gets you some interesting runs.
    2003 SRT-4

Re: Re: Modded V6 Mustang vs My STi

Originally posted by ezatnova

He must have been pushing 330+ hp with those mods. The only reason he got a car on you is you let him. Those cars are rediculously slow, it's not even funny. I would beat my friend's bolt-on V6 Camaro at the track all the time in my Saturn, and those were faster than the V6 Mustangs.
    It's a different story than the guy at the track with the v-6 "looking" Camaro.

Oh well, the guy got what was coming to him if he was stupid enough to egg you on. Guess he thought he could beat on some little Japanese car with his big bad muscle car.

I watched a V6 Mustang at the track on Saturday running
    18s in the 1/4 mile. Yes, 18s in the 1/4 mile. If thats not fast I don't know what is.

I was just trying to make the point that you really never know how fast someone is until you race them.

Last year I raced a guy in a V6 Mustang that looked exactly like a
    Cobra R. I mean even up close it looked just like a Cobra R. He had about 10k+ in appearance mods to make it look exactly like a 12 sec Cobra R. He also drove around town trying to race people? I actually thought it was going to be a serious race until I discovered it was all show and no go.

On the other hand I remember getting smoked by a little chevy pickup truck in my LS1 z28. After getting beat I pulled along side of him to ask him what just happened. He had a heavily modded LT4 Vette motor in his little chevy pickup. The truck looked totally stock. So it goes both ways.

lol nice race...

Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
    v6 mustangs are DOGS...Even on the spray they run high 13s at best, without tearing into their engine...

So a high 15 sec V6 mustang will run high 13's with a 75 shot?

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Originally posted by skyjock41
    So a high 15 sec V6 mustang will run high 13's with a 75 shot?
    No...

But a v6 stang with true dual exhaust, pulleys, intake, a 100 shot and a tune will. I installed a zex kit on a v6 vert stang. He also had true duals, underdrive pulleys, cold air intake, and a chip. He ran 13.7@102 on a 75 shot.
    2003 SRT-4

Lol... I pretty much had the same thing happen to me not to long ago that I posted. Guy flew by me in a Stang V6 and I was just like as I flew past him and the guy had a pretty big jump.

BTW Good Kill.

Re: Re: Re: Modded V6 Mustang vs My STi

I watched a V6 Mustang at the track on Saturday running
    18s in the 1/4 mile. Yes, 18s in the 1/4 mile. If thats not fast I don't know what is.

I was just trying to make the point that you really never know how fast someone is until you race them.

Last year I raced a guy in a V6 Mustang that looked exactly like a
    Cobra R. I mean even up close it looked just like a Cobra R. He had about 10k+ in appearance mods to make it look exactly like a 12 sec Cobra R. He also drove around town trying to race people? I actually thought it was going to be a serious race until I discovered it was all show and no go.

On the other hand I remember getting smoked by a little chevy pickup truck in my LS1 z28. After getting beat I pulled along side of him to ask him what just happened. He had a heavily modded LT4 Vette motor in his little chevy pickup. The truck looked totally stock. So it goes both ways.
    Dude...you are the racing God......you seem to race everyone...but my question is.....do you ever get any tickets or do you have a V1 on the dash and another detector watching your back on the back glass? :-)
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

SGOSWRX,
    I know I've been gone for a while (I couldn't stand coming to the boards while my car was in the shop) but I always enjoy your stories. You are right, you never know what's under the hood. I've seen Fbody guys debadge their cars on the regular. The memory of a debadged camaro whipping my 99 prelude is something I will never forget.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

speaking of v6 stangs my friend got his mustang back last night. he took it to a shop and now it has a stage 2 supercharger putting out 11 PSI. im not sure how well it will perform, i think he is overestimating its power potential though

i told him "Hey, you should go find an STi and race it, i bet you could beat it (laugh to myself)"

i want to see him do this so he can get his ass smoked.

Originally posted by carkmouch
    speaking of v6 stangs my friend got his mustang back last night. he took it to a shop and now it has a stage 2 supercharger putting out 11 PSI. im not sure how well it will perform, i think he is overestimating its power potential though

i told him "Hey, you should go find an STi and race it, i bet you could beat it (laugh to myself)"

i want to see him do this so he can get his ass smoked.
    Id have to take a blown V6 properly tuned over a Stock STI. But who knows.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Modded V6 Mustang vs My STi

Originally posted by Silver04Sti
    Dude...you are the racing God......you seem to race everyone...but my question is.....do you ever get any tickets or do you have a V1 on the dash and another detector watching your back on the back glass? :-)

No, its just the geography of the area. No hills , I mean its perfectly flat around here. That helps with visibilty down the road. Most the roads are also straight. Pretty boring but seems to be just right for races.
    The two main drags near my house are both divided and 6 lanes. 3 lanes on each side. That gives you a chance to get lined up.There are stop lights about every 1/2 mile or so.

What funny is I only post a very tiny percent of my kills. I only post ones I think are funny or meaningful. I don't post the endless Mustang GT's, LT1 Vettes, Z28s, BMW's etc. That gets a little old.

I do have my Passport 8500 - that works really well.
    I'm also very careful and only race when the street is clear and I have good visibility up the road. That how I stay out of trouble. I also keep my races to reasonabe speeds - usually under 80mph.
    Last edited by SGOSWRX; 04-09-2004 at 01:31 PM.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Modded V6 Mustang vs My STi

No, its just the geography of the area. No hills , I mean its perfectly flat around here. That helps with visibilty down the road. Most the roads are also straight. Pretty boring but seems to be just right for races.
    The two main drags near my house are both divided and 6 lanes. 3 lanes on each side. That gives you a chance to get lined up.There are stop lights about every 1/2 mile or so.

What funny is I only post a very tiny percent of my kills. I only post ones I think are funny or meaningful. I don't post the endless Mustang GT's, LT1 Vettes, Z28s, BMW's etc. That gets a little old.

I do have my Passport 8500 - that works really well.
    I'm also very careful and only race when the street is clear and I have good visibility up the road. That how I stay out of trouble. I also keep my races to reasonabe speeds - usually under 80mph.
    trading my 8500 for the new 8500 x50......they swear a 50% increase in K and KA effectiveness......I can't believe that could be true because that thing has saved my ass countless times over the past few years..........

Originally posted by All8up
    SGOSWRX,
    I know I've been gone for a while (I couldn't stand coming to the boards while my car was in the shop) but I always enjoy your stories. You are right, you never know what's under the hood. I've seen Fbody guys debadge their cars on the regular. The memory of a debadged camaro whipping my 99 prelude is something I will never forget.
    hey aren't you the guy with the stage IV down the street from my buddy mike in south riding? He had the modded cobra?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast