Chevy Cav
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Chevy Cav within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm just driving around running up my break in miles when I see this Chevy Cav (not sure what year ...

Chevy Cav

I'm just driving around running up my break in miles when I see this Chevy Cav (not sure what year it is) come barreling out of a super market parking lot. He has a custome blue paint job, ok tires and rims and a very load dual exhust. It sounds pretty deep so I'm guessing it is a v-6 not sure.
    Feeling playful I catch up and pull in behind him. Having been an OTR trucker for about 4+ yrs I never tail gate I've seen to many accidents due to that. He sees me but traffic won't let him go any where. I'm just enjoying the day and keep following him and as luck would have it he pulls up to a stop light and signals he is turning on to a major 4 lane street.
    Light turns green and he bolts. I guess it shouldn't surprize me to much since he got the jump and I was behind him he gets about 2 or more cars on me so I red in 1st and am approaching redline in 2nd when I pull along side him. He doesn't look over but I see he's grinning because he thinks I'm going to have to back out of it because a slow SUV is in my lane a head. Fact is I was being reckless and should have but no not me. I hit 3rd and keep pooring on the coal. Now I kept my foot in it because I wasn't pulling away from this guy as quickly as I thought (my car is bone stock) and I guess my ego needed to make a point.
    The butt of that huge SUV was coming up fast but no one was in front of him and he wasn't about to slow down and then something wonderful happend...The boost came on and it was SEE YEAH! I pulled two cars on him flicked it over to his lane (I'm sure it PO'ed him but hey he was in no danger) and when I reached for 4th I looked down at my speedo Holly smokes 120 MPH easied up and glance back to see the Cav still coming up about 12 cars behind. The funny thing is that he come screaming by me as if he was like still racing me. I just don't understand that. I am still learning my cars limits and things and I don't want anyone to get the idea that I'm a crazy (I am) because I would never race someone if I thought the conditions were dangerous. Any way I'm hoping to do a few mods down the road like an uppipe, MBR and BOV but before I do that better tires and much better brakes.
    THX all.
    Pete
    Blitz Turbo Timer, TurboXS mbc, uppipe, Samco intercooler hoses, TurboXS Unichip (stage 1), TurboXS intake, Vishnu downpipe.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sounds like you finished your break in pretty quick

you definately should have gotten the jump on him off the line with AWD. try slipping the clutch at 3500-4000 rpms, that seems to work best for me

by the way, how many miles do you have on your car?
    Originally posted by AbACUZ
    im new in here, I am AbACUZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by AbACUZ
    No where, is my style diferent, yes, I am AbACUZ.

I had just about 1K with the Cav. I'm at almost 1.4K now. I've been trying to practice coming off the line and have only had one good one where it felt as if I had been cattapulted into 2nd gear. I think it's been difficult for me being a very big (6' @ 325lbs) so it's like have two people in the car all the time. LOL. Most of the time my wheels squeal some and then I bog. I'm waiting till my first oil change before I get real serious about it though.
    Pete
    Blitz Turbo Timer, TurboXS mbc, uppipe, Samco intercooler hoses, TurboXS Unichip (stage 1), TurboXS intake, Vishnu downpipe.

How exactly are you reaching for 4th at 120mph, when 3rd gear redlines at about 90mph?

-Jim

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    How exactly are you reaching for 4th at 120mph, when 3rd gear redlines at about 90mph?

-Jim
    FM

Friggin Magic
    Drag racing? I like my racing to last longer than the average orgasm...

I'll have to keep a close eye on j-body.org, I'm sure I'll see a WRX kill posted there soon.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

Not having my WRX yet I wouldnt know, but it sounds to me that his post is a bit confusing. I think that he means he looked at the speedo AFTER the shift, not just before it.

Originally posted by Flyboy
    I'll have to keep a close eye on j-body.org, I'm sure I'll see a WRX kill posted there soon.
    LOL

Post the link if it does show up, that'd be some mighty fine readin', Flyboy!
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX

-Jim

Dont waste your money ona bov, its practically useless unles you get a 50.50 which is virtually the same as stock... Just a waste of money unless u want one for sound then ur car will run even more pig rich between shifts :P

Rob

Rob,

You are exactly right on the BOV.

I just installed a vent to atm type Blitz Super Sound DD on my Unichipped Silvia and it is making the car very unsmooth after the gear shifts.

Idle is also slightly worse, and now I know why - it is because the standard BOVs are all meant to leak a little bit so the engine is smoother when the turbo spins a little when idling, but the aftermarket BOV actually makes idling worst by closing it.

Also, with the BOV, I'm getting a bit of Backfiring in my muffler and it sounds like a knocking noise on tin. (Not detonation though...)
    My performance has generally degraded after shifts, due to running rich, which counters the gain from the tuned Unichip which is suppose to lean it out a bit.

I'm pretty sure this would be the same on a WRX as well, all my friends have similar problem after BOV.
    "S15 Silvia - Are you enjoying the view from the side?"

Qualify

Yes I was in 4th and yes there was some creative license taken. I did not shift into 4th at 120 LOL. I was in 4th when I did eventually look down to see about 120 on the speedo. Yes the owners manuel states top speed in the gears all though I can not remember if it states top speed in 5th. I hope that clarifies it for the lliteralist in the reading audeance <Pete winks>.
    BOV: I have been told that the stock BOV is actually pretty good and not to waste my money on one. Being very new to modding turbo's I will have to take your word for it. Most of the folks that use this forum seem to be very straight shooters so thanks.

I haven't seen any WRX kills on the j-body forum yet. That Cavalier must have had the speed limiter removed because they're limited to 108 mph, at least the newer ones anyway.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

Speed Limiter

My old Ford Contour GL was speed limited to 108 and I understand the WRX is speed limited to 130 is there a way around the speed limiter on cars?

If im not mistaken, the 4EAT WRX is limited to 130, but the Manual WRX is not, I believe it has a top speed in the neighborhood of ~142

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.