Chevy Cav - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Chevy Cav within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've got a manual and mine's not limited....

I've got a manual and mine's not limited.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Maximumpete....from Des Moines eh? a little story for ya....Des Moines is where my 83 Sube GL was totalled about 7 years ago by some 70+ y.o. fool who "attempted" to make a U-turn on the interstate at one of those gravel cop crossings....he was on the right side shoulder....pulled out *right* in front of me.......I "t-boned" him full speed 60+ mph......totalled my lil modded sube......weber carb, custom cat-back, sway bars, 205/60 13's......but gee, now that that i have the wrx.....i must say it sure is nice to drive a sube with some real ooomph!....and btw, i walked away with a broken hand......that little car probably saved my life! over 200k on the odometer! r.i.p.! now let's all have a moment of silence......
    Mark
    02 WRX Wagon

the auto is limited at something(electronically).. the manual is also "limited" by drag, and gearing...

Originally posted by ryland
    If im not mistaken, the 4EAT WRX is limited to 130, but the Manual WRX is not, I believe it has a top speed in the neighborhood of ~142

Does anybody know why they chose to electronically limit one transmission model but not the other? Seems odd to me. Not that im complaining, because i dont think i'd ever buy an automatic car.

RIP

Sorry to hear about the old Subaru but Iowa has more senoirs than anything. Be warned! My wifes folks like most retired Iowans like to spend there winters in Texas! Be very careful...

BTW: The fact that Subarus are made so well is one of the reasons I bought it not just cause it's got as much kick as my old 1967 Ford Fairlane GTA (390cu talk about torque!) LOL.

Pete
    Last edited by Maximumpete; 07-06-2002 at 02:34 PM.
    Blitz Turbo Timer, TurboXS mbc, uppipe, Samco intercooler hoses, TurboXS Unichip (stage 1), TurboXS intake, Vishnu downpipe.

Evey transmission has a limit, the limit it can mechanically put out in relation to the gearing and the aerodynamics and power of the car. when i used the term "limited" i meant the mechanical limits, not a limit set by the manufacturer. In reality, the auto also has a mechanical limit, but the electronic limit is set below it.

Does anybody know why they chose to electronically limit one transmission model but not the other? Seems odd to me. Not that im complaining, because i dont think i'd ever buy an automatic car.

Originally posted by Megavolt121
    Evey transmission has a limit, the limit it can mechanically put out in relation to the gearing and the aerodynamics and power of the car. when i used the term "limited" i meant the mechanical limits, not a limit set by the manufacturer. In reality, the auto also has a mechanical limit, but the electronic limit is set below it.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, makes sense.

If im not mistaken, the 4EAT WRX is limited to 130, but the Manual WRX is not, I believe it has a top speed in the neighborhood of ~142
    I do have a 4EAT Stock and 2 days ago I got 140,next time i will try and see if I get more out of it.

Originally posted by Saposat

I do have a 4EAT Stock and 2 days ago I got 140,next time i will try and see if I get more out of it.
    Odometer readings are not accurate and they are usually negatively biased ~5-10 m/h
    Vlad
    2005 CGM STi
    2002 WRX Wagon

Don't underestimate the z24 cavalier from a stoplight race. They are the quickest cars i've ever seen stoplight to stoplight. I just recently traded my 2001 z-24 in on my wrx. I had lots of bolt ons on the car and i was running a 2.20 60 foot on street tires and 17" wheels with a 9.5 1/8th@74.80 mph and a 14.8 1/4 @93 mph. So they can take out a wrx if the guy doesn't know how to launch and they have enough mods. Now that the supercharger is around i'd be careful making fun of these cars. They are one of the most underestimated cars on the street. A guy just put the supercharger on, with an msd and borla exhaust and ran a 14.4. I actually miss my car's performance. I just don't miss the suspension. I was planning on buying the s/c before i traded it in. I would have hit high 13's with it on street tires if i had. But oh well. I ran a 14.3 with the wrx stock so i'm happy. And i got my car refinanced to $454 a month instead of $568 so that's even better. Just thought i'd tell you guys my story.

nice kill pete, once you get some mods on that rex you won't have to squeez through the SUV and the chevy

I used to own a 2000 sunfire GT, same car as the cav. I gave it to my mom when I bought the WRX.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=6&i=9803&t=9681

There is a Z24 wrx kill from the JBO for all you people who were looking for one. They are faster then they look, and faster then what people give them credit for. I have nothing bad to say about my j body car.

Originally posted by joe_white
    Don't underestimate the z24 cavalier from a stoplight race. They are the quickest cars i've ever seen stoplight to stoplight. I just recently traded my 2001 z-24 in on my wrx.
    Sounds like your previous car ran pretty quick. Welcome to the world of AWD though, where the WRX will dominate most any FWD car it meets on the street (excluding the rare GST/Tsi that's running a drag tire and a bigger turbo) for stoplight to stoplight action. The launch that an AWD car gets on a FWD car is just downright unfair.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

What is a Z22? I was on training in New Jersey last week and ran across a guy with a Cavalier with a Z22 emblem. I have only seen the Z24 before this. It looked to be late 80s. Any ideas?
    ----------------------------------------
    '02 Blue Sportwagon
    No mods - yet
    Starting with the rear sway bar and anti-lift kit...one day....I have faith

Originally posted by chirexy
    What is a Z22? I was on training in New Jersey last week and ran across a guy with a Cavalier with a Z22 emblem. I have only seen the Z24 before this. It looked to be late 80s. Any ideas?
    Something some one made up??!!! ZX2? Maybe off the Tracker??

-Jim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast