WRX vs IS300 and GTP

This is a discussion on WRX vs IS300 and GTP within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Two different races in Cleveland, OH. Same night. WRX vs GTP. Just getting off at Rockside Exit off of I-77 ...

WRX vs IS300 and GTP

Two different races in Cleveland, OH. Same night.

WRX vs GTP.
    Just getting off at Rockside Exit off of I-77 South. I stopped behind a coupe Pontiac GTP. I didn't realized it was a GTP, but I was guessing. Light turned green and we made a left. He got on it maybe 1/2 throttle, and I proceeded to follow. I moved to the left lane and got next to him at the next light. Shortly after we both stopped, the light turns green. He and I rolled off the light, but he rolled out with some grunt and I knew it was on, so I went WOT in 1st. By the time I went WOT, he my bumber was at the beginning of his door. We both shut down for the next light. I looked over and gave him a thumbs up, and he replied. I then revved to about 4-4.5K and launch when the light turned green. He proceeded to go WOT also. We both were even, except I got the launch on him. I slowed down as I was riding out the middle of 3rd...saw some cop lights at the next intersection...cops are required to stay on site for road constructions. No one noticed the race.

WRX vs IS300.
    Coming home from the movie on I-77 North to I-490 West. As I was merging onto 490, I saw the IS300 and speed up to get behind him. He was on the left lane and I followed behind. As the highway openned up he moved to the next right lane and I passed him doing about 75-80mph. He proceeded to speed up and passed me doing about 80-90mph. I knew he took he wanted to go. When I caught up to him, we were merging with I-90 West. I was still in the left lane and put it into 4th at about 65-70mph, waiting for him to get next to me. He caught up and stayed next to me, I rolled on the gas to see if he stilled wanted to go, and he did. At this time I'm at 70-75mph and dropped it into 3rd and went WOT. He got the jumped on me when I was stilled in 4th and had 1/2 of his car infront of mine. Pulled even and passed him in 3rd, shifted to 4th and was about 2 cars in front when I shut down.

I then cruised at about 65mph and he stayed back about 4 car lengths behind. He came up for another try around the Lorain Rd Exit, and I repeated the kill. I slowed down and he did the flyby, I caught up and gave him a thumbs up and he replied. We both got off at the W140th Exit and went out own way.

I mod:
    - Blitz SUS intake
    - uppipe
    - Helix dp
    - Tanabe Racing Medalion catback

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm surprised you had any trouble at all with an IS300. They are slooooow. I beat a couple of them back in my 200sx SE-R days and that car was slower than my scooby.

If a GTP hung that good with you he probably had the supercharger pully. My buddy has one on his GTP and he and I don't move an inch on each other.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

The IS300 wasn't really a struggle. I knew that 3rd was better at 70 mph roll for the 1st race. Plus I didn't really wanting to be sitting there waiting in 3rd for him to race. It worked out for the better, because he thought that he had it when he was 1/2 infront, but then it was over when I shifted to 3rd.

I was actually pretty happy with the GTP run...I heard they were fast, and this was my 1st encounter with a GTP, so I didn't know what to expect.

Alotta low end torque on the GTP's very nice run!
    2004 Grand Prix CompG
    Fully loaded w/Appreance Package.
    Wizaired CAI

uke
    Originally posted by GTP_Gator
    Alotta low end torque on the GTP's very nice run!
    Problem is, we often can't get all that torque to the ground, and result in one-wheel burnouts .

(shakes fist) DARN YOU SUBARU OWNERS AND YOUR AWD! DARN YOU TO HECK!!

Originally posted by uke
    one-wheel burnouts .
    I love seeing cars peg-legging it.

I imagine a 2004 SRT-4 (LSD) would be a tough match for a GTP, especially if they had any of those mopar power packs.
    Former car: 2002 Cobb/Scoobysport stage 2 WRX sedan
    New ride: ???

An SRT-4 would own a stock GTP even if the SRT screwed up the launch it would pull on us like a mo-fo.
    2004 Grand Prix CompG
    Fully loaded w/Appreance Package.
    Wizaired CAI

GTP's get my respect..... ran one one day in my wifes WRX....he stayed like a car and a half behind and i couldn't pull on him. he did have the pulley and some other stuff done... and was pretty kool after the run.
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

Originally posted by Novtec1
    GTP's get my respect..... ran one one day in my wifes WRX....he stayed like a car and a half behind and i couldn't pull on him. he did have the pulley and some other stuff done... and was pretty kool after the run.
    Wife's WRX with mods? that's cool.