Stock Mustang GT
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stock Mustang GT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I walked him in fifth. He tried to pass on the inside , but when the boost got to 17 ...

Stock Mustang GT

I walked him in fifth. He tried to pass on the inside , but when the boost got to 17 psi, he was toast. I didn't even downshift.

What's all the complaining about top end about?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    well..um...how fast were you going???

and you say ur running 17psi....how stock is your car? thats gettin' to be a 'lil on the dangerous side for a stock setup

anyway....even w/ my stage zero setup the car doesn't pull hard in 5th gear at WOT. i just find it hard to keep up w/ a car like that that has so much mid range torque
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

Maybe he wasn't really trying. But it seemed to me he was serious. Traffic could have been a factor too.

But I can run almost 20 psi with a prodrive ECU and the 3/16ths mod. I switch out the 3/16 ths connector most of the time. My skinny son will confirm the boost levels read from a VDO gauge.

MY car runs low 13s at 6000ft above sea level. I no longer have complaints about the top end. 4th gear is FUN now! As for mustangs, it's really not even fair for them at this altitude. The huff and puff all day just trying to get oxygen ito the cylinders. Needless to say, fairly modded ones are rarely a challenge.
    -jay
    i drive a jeep n stuff.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by russ
    Maybe he wasn't really trying. But it seemed to me he was serious. Traffic could have been a factor too.

But I can run almost 20 psi with a prodrive ECU and the 3/16ths mod. I switch out the 3/16 ths connector most of the time. My skinny son will confirm the boost levels read from a VDO gauge.
    dude you better be kidding me about that 20 psi stuff

that or your WRX isn't stock because thats gettin a lil too high for the turbo and the internals. plus peak hp for the turbo is at around 16 psi, so no point in going past that
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

Without exaggeration, the 3/16th connector mod gave me 3 - 4 psi of added boost. Scared the heck out of me. I felt it was abusive for the automobile.

And my car is not stock. And it's not a "stage" anything. The only mod I'll admit to (usually) is the prodrive ecu which kicks. There is nothing else like it.

The rest of the car is in stealth mode. I even removed the WRX tag. Except that it's lowered. Only a real Sooby fan would notice.

I Support ClubWRX
    so how fast is this "stealth" wrx? i'm trying to make mine a sleeper too, so i can suprise everybody when the car slingshots off the line super quick and i just smile and tell them the car is "stock"
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

Regardless of how you achieved your 20psi; the stock turbo is not capable of operating efficiently at those kinds of boost levels. You are just generating more heat, not pushing more air. A dangerous excercise in diminishing returns if ever there was one.

Those boost levels are even going to be at or near the limits of the larger VF-series turbos. I hope you are running a PE1820 at minimum.

-Pace

The 3/16ths is gone. At WOT I do about 15 -16 psi. I agree with you. It was a brief exercise in ........ ?

Originally posted by russ
    The 3/16ths is gone. At WOT I do about 15 -16 psi. I agree with you. It was a brief exercise in ........ ?

Pace,

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a PE1820?

Regards,
    Russ:
    confused:

A turbocharger. It is a direct bolt-on replacement for the stock TD04. Like the VF series, it shares the same uppipe and downpipe flange bolt pattern.

Of direct-replacement units, I believe it is the highest flowing off-the-shelf turbocharger for the WRX. Although with the advent of the new APS units, it probably no longer carries that torch.

-Pace

Thanks.

I Support ClubWRX
    thats the kind of turbo you should be using if youre looking for that 20 some odd psi
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.