WRX vs. 330i and New M5 (ouch)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX vs. 330i and New M5 (ouch) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Coming home about two hours ago I see 2 BMW's in front of me pacing each other on the Cooper ...

WRX vs. 330i and New M5 (ouch)

Coming home about two hours ago I see 2 BMW's in front of me pacing each other on the Cooper River bridge. For those of you not familiar with Charleston its a pretty long 2 lane bridge with both lanes going in the same direction. I got up behind the 2 BMW's and saw that one was a regular old 330i but the other was a really new M5 (couldn't have been more than 2 years old). Going up the first hill on the bridge the 330i guns it, and immediately the M5 pulls many car lengths on him up to the top of the hill. The M5 slowed to let the 330 get beside him again, and they both floor it with the same results but this time I stayed behind the M5 and when he gunned it, so did I. There was no way I could keep up with the M5 but I pulled even and then passed the 330 with all 3 of us going wide open. The look on the 330 driver's face was priceless (he had the top down), he thought he was just losing to one car but ended up losing to two. Now on to the M5...We both exited off the bridge and came to a stop light, he rolled his wondow down, looked over at me and said "Wow, your car is pretty quick, a WRX right? Where did that 330 go?" I replied that I thought the 330 had given up after I had passed it. We both had a good laugh at that. He offered to let me try (notice he said TRY) outrunning his M5, so when the light turned green we both floored it. My victory lasted until about 30 mph and then it was all M5, I'm not sure how many car lengths he pulled on me, but it was safe to say at least 4 or 5. By the time I caught up with him I had to turn off so I didn't get to talk to him any more. All in all a good run, and the Subaru got props from an M5 guy...not too bad.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice run. M5s are teh torquey! I got to ride in one a while back and...wow. What mods you running? A WRX with an upgraded turbo and supporting mods should definitely be able to keep up with or take out an M5, but I'm sure you knew that.

Oh and good kill on the puny 330i!
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

I beat up on an m5 pretty bad last weekend. We went from 60-110 (or at least I did), and he was around 2-3 cars back. He looked at me with this bewildered smile. Priceless...
    Last edited by BassMan097; 04-06-2004 at 08:28 PM.
    2004 R32: 220 whp

For Sale: 2003 wrx
    376 whp @ 22 psi, 93 octane

Pics:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/badassrex

Originally posted by Integra96
    Oh and good kill on the puny 330i!
    Thanks! You can click on my profile to see the mods, but its all basic stuff, no upgraded turbo (yet).

Even with the vf series an m5 will still get you top end from a roll. Would be close with an 1820. Anything bigger and they'll be in your mirror.

Pics:

Originally posted by BassMan097
    Even with the vf series an m5 will still get you top end from a roll. Would be close with an 1820. Anything bigger and they'll be in your mirror.
    Unless of course they are modded, but I'm sure you knew that

Of course, but I cant remember the last time I saw a modded m5 (at least with perforamance stuff). I dont see bolt-ons making a huge difference on a 4100+ lb car. Although it is a v8, and Im sure it responds decently to the basic I/H/E mods. A supercharger is obviously a different story. But I dunno why anyone would do that. The m5 is a classy 4 door that lets you go real fast in a straight line, but the handling isnt that great, even though its a bimmer. I drove one about a year ago, belong to a friend's dad, and it sure had some torque, and powered out of the turns nicely. But when you push it you can really feel all that extra weight. It's not very nimble, but i dont know what I really expected from a car that size. I cant wait to see the new one. Supposedly its going to be a v10, and they're toying with the idea of a 7 speed gearbox!!?? I guess MB and audi really pissed them off with the e55 and rs6. I guess if I had the $$ for an m5 I would try and mod it, just for the sake of doing so.
    Last edited by BassMan097; 04-07-2004 at 06:02 PM.

Pics:

i saw an rs6 the other day- first time i saw one. was w/ my wife, and i walked into another car staring at it.

it was pretty darn funny. she rolled her eyes. but i was still happy- rs6 = sexy.
    www.realultimatepower.net

That are sweet, but why, oh why, are they automatic!?

Pics:

The m5 has a pretty large after market. It's just that a good intake for it costs $900+. They have ECU reflashes, turbo kits, I used to go on BMW canyon runs and their would be few modded 500+ whp m5's.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

Thats cool. I knew there was a loyal aftermarket, but it just really expensive, like you said. But like I said before, if you're got the scratch for an M5, then im sure you've got some extra lying around to mod it if you want.

Pics:

That's why I gave up my bmw for a wrx. The aftermarket is too costly.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.