EVO 9 is last year for EVO?

This is a discussion on EVO 9 is last year for EVO? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; any truth to it?? Is the evo 9 the last US spec evo ???...

EVO 9 is last year for EVO?

any truth to it?? Is the evo 9 the last US spec evo ???
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nope. No truth to it. Where do you get this? Also, the Evo doesn't go by #=year. So, the IX probably won't be out for another couple years anyway.

i did hear something about evo9 being the last year mitsu using it to enter wrc, something about the weight/size and going with something much smaller..

I also heard the same thing. My understanding is it is going to be replaced by a smaller Ford Focus sized car. I believe I read this in a Car and Driver Mag. So it could be a rumor.

Originally posted by InfamousSXL
    i did hear something about evo9 being the last year mitsu using it to enter wrc, something about the weight/size and going with something much smaller..
    Well if they would bring out another Eclipse that was worth anything... Could they use that, would it be within weight/size specs? (The new Eclipse is supposedly based on the Galant platform.)

-snowcat
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

Originally posted by InfamousSXL
    they are not using an evo now in the wrc, it is a plain lancer, and an odd looking one at that.

cnstman
    2004 STi
    Silver/Silver

Seems weird, they are bring back the 3000gt and calling it 3500.

Maybe the EVO 9 will be the last model ???
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

Im pretty sure the eclipse is already on the Galant platform. The new one is all hybrid and looks like it came out of minority report
    -Andrew

Mitsubishi has been talking about using the smaller Colt for their rally efforts for years. They keep coming back to the Lancer. Maybe in 5 years or so they'll switch to something smaller. The Evo is their WRC car now. It's just not called the Evo but it's an Evo. Subaru calls their rally car Impreza WRC04, not WRX. But that's what it is. And even if Mitsubishi stops using the Evo in the WRC it doesn't necessarily mean it's the end of production for the Evo. So I wouldn't put much stock in these rumors.

Not to hijack the thread ...

I read somewhere

WRX = world rally experiment

Originally posted by bone138
    Mitsubishi has been talking about using the smaller Colt for their rally efforts for years. They keep coming back to the Lancer. Maybe in 5 years or so they'll switch to something smaller. The Evo is their WRC car now. It's just not called the Evo but it's an Evo. Subaru calls their rally car Impreza WRC04, not WRX. But that's what it is. And even if Mitsubishi stops using the Evo in the WRC it doesn't necessarily mean it's the end of production for the Evo. So I wouldn't put much stock in these rumors.
    Platinum WRX Wagon Cobb Stage2
    TXS stealth back/UP with custom Magnaflow muffler
    whiteline adj rear sb, whiteline Antilift kit, whiteline rear strut brace, front strut brace, MRT lightened pulley
    No more AEM Cai ! , 3/16 mod, Grounding mod, Kartboy SS and bushing, Autometer 3 gauge pack and A-pillar

you may call it a lancer evo wrc, but mitsu does not.

http://www.wrc.com/News.aspx?PO_ID=1...lse&lang=en_GB
    2004 STi
    Silver/Silver

A New Lancer WRC for a New Challenge

Mitsubishi Motors motor sports subsidiary, MMSP, unveils the car that will spearhead its 2004 FIA World Rally Championship campaign, the Mitsubishi Lancer WRC04. A completely fresh design, the new car forms an integral part of a meticulously conceived long-term plan to build on MMSPís distinguished record in the World Rally Championship. It will compete on all 16 rounds of the series.

World Rally Car rules demand that the competition car is derived from a family of showroom cars, made in quantities of at least 25,000 per year. The Lancer WRC04 is therefore based on the standard Lancer, but as its dramatic appearance indicates, it has little in common with previous Mitsubishi World Rally Cars. Once again, it draws on Mitsubishi Motorsí worldwide resources, combining Japanese and European capabilities, but it reflects a fresh design strategy and has been created by a new, youthful engineering team. The project has been overseen by MMSP Limited Managing Director, Mario Fornaris at MMSPís base in Rugby, in Great Britain.

quote from another site.

cnstman
    2004 STi
    Silver/Silver

Originally posted by cnstman
    you may call it a lancer evo wrc, but mitsu does not.
    I DON'T call it a Lancer Evo WRC. I said that Mitsubishi doesn't call it an Evo WRC, as the link and quote you posted stated it's called "Lancer WRC04", just like the Subaru WRC car is called "Impreza WRC04". The point is, every Evo is a Lancer and every WRX is an Impreza. However, WRC rules don't allow engine displacement greater than 2 liters. Therefore, the Impreza AND Lancer rally cars use the 2 liter engines found ONLY in the WRX and Evo versions of those models. The Lancer WRC04 is much closer to the Evo than it is to the base Lancer.

I DON'T call it a Lancer Evo WRC. I said that Mitsubishi doesn't call it an Evo WRC, as the link and quote you posted stated it's called "Lancer WRC04", just like the Subaru WRC car is called "Impreza WRC04". The point is, every Evo is a Lancer and every WRX is an Impreza. However, WRC rules don't allow engine displacement greater than 2 liters. Therefore, the Impreza AND Lancer rally cars use the 2 liter engines found ONLY in the WRX and Evo versions of those models. The Lancer WRC04 is much closer to the Evo than it is to the base Lancer.
    if you read the stuff in the link i posted it says the lancerwrc 04 replaces the lancer EVO wrc.

anyway it is not worth any more time to debate this, the thing is ugly and has not preformed as of yet. i hope they do, the wrc needs some more competitive teams.

the sti is only 2.5 L in the USDM so the rest of the world STi would still qualify for the 2.0 L requirement.
    2004 STi
    Silver/Silver

I have put this in like 3 different topics so I guess one more won't hurt. Mitsu plans to stop making the Evo in 06, at least in the states so 05 will be the last year for the Evo here. 06 will bring an AWD turbocharged Eclipse with 280 hp and near 300 lb ft of torque From what I have seen on it, it looks pretty bad ass and with a bigger engine, bigger turbo, more hp and torque then the Evo, you really can't go wrong.