MR2 Turbo vs WRX?

This is a discussion on MR2 Turbo vs WRX? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Alright guys I've posted a few of these and the Altima one I started ended up a flaming war. I ...

MR2 Turbo vs WRX?

Alright guys I've posted a few of these and the Altima one I started ended up a flaming war. I would like to just see some answers. A guy at work today noticed I drive a WRX and was asking about it. When I asked what he has he said a MR2 Turbo. Not sure the year but I think it is a 95. Who would win in a quarter mile race? We are both stock.
    The Left lane is for those going faster then YOU!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks to the three car jump off the line, WRX wins 1/4 mile stock vs. stock.
    2002 Platinum Silver Rex

Mmmmnnn, MR2 Turbo. Fun Kart like car. If I knew the WRX was comming this way a few years ago I would have bought a cheapo car, drove it into the ground and bought the WRX and a used MR2. The WRX of course being the project car, and the MR2 my "other" car .

Re: MR2 Turbo vs WRX?

Originally posted by nemesis099
    Alright guys I've posted a few of these and the Altima one I started ended up a flaming war. I would like to just see some answers. A guy at work today noticed I drive a WRX and was asking about it. When I asked what he has he said a MR2 Turbo. Not sure the year but I think it is a 95. Who would win in a quarter mile race? We are both stock.
    My money would be on the WRX.

I thought that the last year that they imported those mr2's over here was '92? the '93 +'s were Japan only ( i think) but crazy fast and fun.
    autobahn storming scooby

Don't be fooled. The MR2 can get out of the hole without problems. I was actually taken by a fairly stock one out of the hole on the street the other night. I was babying the clutch, but was still very surprised in how fast that thing moved.

Of course, I took it all back at the top of first and then had 8 cars on him top of 3rd.
    -jay
    i drive a jeep n stuff.

The 2nd generation of Toyota MR2s were imported into the USA from 1991 to 1995. The Turbo models ALL had 200hp/200tq. The 2nd gens lasted til 1999 in Japan. If your friend has a 1995 turbo, that car is reare. About 90 were imported into the USA!!! AWD=Traction, Mid Engine=Traction. Stock MR2s can get under 2.0 60fts all day long. Stock for stock, they are very close. When new, MR2s got 1/4 mile times from 14.3 to 14.7. WRXS get high 13s to mid/upper 14s. With the 2 cars being that close stock, it is going to be decided on the drivers.

Peace,
    Terence

Having owned both (still do) my money would probably be on the MR2 in a quarter mile race. The WRX is actually about 3 hundreds of a second faster in the quarter however the MR2 is actually easier to race the 1/4 in. So basically it comes down to the driver. Now if you spend a few bucks and pick up a manual boost controller and pump up your boost to say 14.5 at 4000 RPM in 4th gear you should take him 8 out of 10 times.

Carlo

BTW, My MR2 is the 90 turbo version so I'm not to sure how much changed during those years but if memory servers me correctly (and it may not) they still run the 1/4 about the same.

I will add that if you race from a roll the MR2 will take you pretty easy as it really starts to pull on you right before the 1/4 ends and will be going 3 to 4 MPH faster then you at this point.

Hey Carlo,

You should bring your MR2 to Atco sometime. I'm love to go head-to-head with you!

-Jim