2002 Porsche Carrera 4 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2002 Porsche Carrera 4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Carrera 4: 3263 lbs + 330lbs = 3593 lbs / 320hp = 11.23 lb/hp WRX: assuming similar power to the ...

Let's run the numbers

Carrera 4:

3263 lbs + 330lbs = 3593 lbs / 320hp = 11.23 lb/hp

WRX: assuming similar power to the STi.

3085 lbs / 276 hp = 11.18 lb/hp (.05 favorable vs the Porsche)

It may be pretty unrealistic to claim HP similar to the STi, since it is running exhaust improvements PLUS more boost, and other improvements. It might be safer to assume something closer to 250, (totally stock being 227) in which case:

3085 lbs / 250hp = 12.34 lb/hp (1.11 unfavorable vs the Porsche)

So, giving BobbyD the benefit of the doubt, I'd say this story is at least borderline plausable. He was, after all, running against a dentist. (hehe, just kidding, BobbyD)
    Last edited by AutoXJunkie; 07-03-2002 at 06:02 AM.
    2002 WRX Sedan - 2000 Mazda Miata
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

One more thing

You forgot to take in account the fact that because of the 2 cats gone, boost comes on earlier...something that might not always show up on a dyno. I can tell u this, my car is much stronger than Stock, and im pretty confident if i would have the MBC in it, i could keep up from a roll with that porsche even if he didnt have any passengers...i will try it soon enough .

-Bobby D

Only the uppipe cat removal will improve spooling (or, as you say, "boost coming on"). Earlier boost onset will give you more room under the curve, which as you point out won't show up in the peak hp numbers. Still, it's not that big of a difference. Here is a complete dyno graph for a stock WRX vs a WRX with a Vishnu catless uppipe:

As you can see, there's a significant improvement between 3000 and 4000rpm. You have to admit, though, that this isn't really enough to make up for a 1.1 lb/hp disadvantage. That's a big disadvantage, especially considering that at highway speeds, the Porsche has less aerodynamic drag to overcome (.31 Cd vs the WRX's .33)

I don't doubt that you beat the guy, as you showed restraint and humility in your story... but still... I'm pretty sure he could have hammered you if he'd had the skills.
    2002 WRX Sedan - 2000 Mazda Miata
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

umm..arent 911's two seaters? how'd he have 2 passengers + himself?
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX
    mods: Vishnu up-pipe, momo race airleather alloy shifter
    mods on the way: rest of stage0, JDM headlights, samco hoses

911's have 4 seats.

Heh...

Ok listen...it doesnt take that much skill to drive If he was losing ground when he shift i would have known. Also, i have raced faster cars with people that oculdnt shift, all that would happen is they would lose ground on the shift, but then start to reel me in. That porsche never for one second reeled me in. I repeat...NOT ONCE DID HE REEL ME IN, even when we were at 90+ mph. Now here is another point taht i wanna make. My boost levels...i dont think are stock. Reason im saying this is, cause sometimes i get a check engine light. But it goes away pretty shortly after drivin. But i get the check engine light like 3x a week. Which is starting to worry me, but im thinking the reason for it is because i have heard the downpipe has been known to cause boost spikes. Although i cant confirm if it causes boost spikes since i dont have my gauges put on, the car does REDLINE hard. It wants to redline in every gear. Before i would shift at about 6200 rpm, now i take it all the way to 7000. That Porsche 911 is about a 13.5 quarter mile car...witht the AWD. His other friend has a 911 Targa, which is rear wheel drive. He confirmed that he could smoke the AWD porsche on the highway since they have both 320 hp. But the Carrera 4 porsche would take him off the line. Now...i know im pretty damn close to a 13.5 quarter with my mods. Im prolly atleast a 13.8. Now add the fact that he had 2 people in his car, say he could do the quarter in like 13.8-14.1 with the added weight. Trust me...he wasnt playing, he gave it all out, he complimented my car afterwards. This guy is not a stranger, like i said before. I shadow him, and we are good friends. He lets me drive his porsche every once in a while. His car is fast, no doubt. But it doesnt feel that much faster than mine. I will admit, if we did a full blown race, he would prolly edge me out if he had no passengers. But i think with my mods, and the possible boost spike from them...i will edge him out unless he is alone in his porsche. Believe me, dont believe me...dont matter. Im hoping when i install my MBC, it will keep the boost more constant, and i wont get check engine lights.

-Bobby D

I call them 2 1/2 seaters... u can put someone in the back, after u break his legs, and his back to cramp him in there.. its do-able i've done it before..

Originally posted by ants wrx
    umm..arent 911's two seaters? how'd he have 2 passengers + himself?

Originally posted by Megavolt121
    I call them 2 1/2 seaters... u can put someone in the back, after u break his legs, and his back to cramp him in there.. its do-able i've done it before..

So true my friend. Porsche obviously didnt design the car with the rear passengers in mind.

Originally posted by Megavolt121

In the UK at least, the correct terminology was "two plus two". I dunno if people use that term over here...

-Pace

Originally posted by pace
    In the UK at least, the correct terminology was "two plus two". I dunno if people use that term over here...
    I have heard the term 2+2 before. Camaro and Firebird are excellent 2+2 examples, as is the 911.

-Jim

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by PlatinumWRX

I have heard the term 2+2 before. Camaro and Firebird are excellent 2+2 examples, as is the 911.

-Jim
    300ZX TT's also come in 2by2s
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

My dad has a 2000 911 2 (2 wheel drive) 260 hp to the wheels (Dynoled when new)..I can't beat him, I have vishnu 0 - 225 hp to the wheels. I can hang with him even in the straights, but if the road gets REALLY twisty esp twisty uphill, I'm dead, that car is a torque monster - I can beat him good from a stop though

Unfortunately moxt Nissans have a backseat problem...

Just look at my car, Skylines, the newer 350z, etc....

"S15 Silvia - Are you enjoying the view from the side?"

911 should have won! theres something wrong if he was not pulling at 120
    99 m3

ecis cai
    jtd underpanel
    bridgestone S03's
    more to come!

Originally posted by 99 m3steve
    911 should have won! theres something wrong if he was not pulling at 120
    maybe he doesnt know how to drive?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.