Celica GT-S hitting 101-102 trap speed with BPU - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Celica GT-S hitting 101-102 trap speed with BPU within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by renichms 100-102 doesn't impress me. I've topped that before and can easily do so again. For that ...

Originally posted by renichms
    100-102 doesn't impress me. I've topped that before and can easily do so again. For that car, it may be good, but in the big scheme of things, it's kinda maybe somewhat mediocre. From a roll, a Celica trapping 102 might give me a good run, but I'm still going to outright run away from it.

RN
    dude, you drive an STI. you cant compare the 2 cars. you are talking about a 300hp 2.5 turbo against a 1.8 N/A 4cylinder.

although the traps on the car is similar, i personally think its pretty impressive that a celica (pretty much known as a chic car) can run 13's and trap at those speeds with ecu and very basic bolt on's.

Originally posted by smokey
    RSX-S's trap at 100mph or higher with similar mods, so its still pretty even overall. Also, we are well below 13.7 w/out drag's N/A, so I fail to see what everyone is implying. RSX has a MUCH larger aftermarket, just leaps and bounds ahead of the Celi's right now.

And that one guy that hit 13.7, while extremely impressive, did it on DR's and was gutted down to 2400lbs. We have a few guys that hit those numbers w/out DR's and with basically the same bolt ons, while not stripping their cars out.

I give Celi's respect though, as I do most cars. They do a lot with 1.8 litres, that's for sure.
    i think thats the point here. most foreign cars in this bracket, (type R, rsx-s, celica GTS) are all N/A 1.8L 4's and are running very stong times and even stonger traps. all the cars deserve mad respect IMO with using what they have. i have seen RSX's run mid 13's with bolt on's and same goes for the type R. some are hitting 13's with just I/E/H
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I can see how they pose problems to Stage 2 WRX's, but the thing is... there is a plateau. They'll get to 13's VERY easily but getting anything faster will be very hard for them I'm sure. Just like RSX-S's... Hondata and BPU and you have mid 13's but how many 12 second RSX's do you see? Not many.

Make no mistake about it, I take nothing away from these cars. They are not slouches.

Originally posted by DTR maxima
    dude, you drive an STI. you cant compare the 2 cars. you are talking about a 300hp 2.5 turbo against a 1.8 N/A 4cylinder.

although the traps on the car is similar, i personally think its pretty impressive that a celica (pretty much known as a chic car) can run 13's and trap at those speeds with ecu and very basic bolt on's.

i think thats the point here. most foreign cars in this bracket, (type R, rsx-s, celica GTS) are all N/A 1.8L 4's and are running very stong times and even stonger traps. all the cars deserve mad respect IMO with using what they have. i have seen RSX's run mid 13's with bolt on's and same goes for the type R. some are hitting 13's with just I/E/H
    Dude, the point of bringing it up IS to compare the cars. YES, for the setup of the Celica, that is impressive...like I said. However, since this is WRX vs. the World...it will be compared, as is the entire purpose of this thread. When compared, it's okay but not great. That is what I said. I'm not dumping on the Celica because it's great for THAT car but when you stack it up, it's not that great.

Yell at me for comparing in WRX vs. the World but that's what it's here for and that's what's going on here. I believe I asked if there were any faster. Are there? Or is someone without a WRX going to ***** at me for comparing on a vs. forum OF WRX's?

Next time, read what's said, not what you want to be there.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

Dude, the point of bringing it up IS to compare the cars. YES, for the setup of the Celica, that is impressive...like I said. However, since this is WRX vs. the World...it will be compared, as is the entire purpose of this thread. When compared, it's okay but not great. That is what I said. I'm not dumping on the Celica because it's great for THAT car but when you stack it up, it's not that great.

Yell at me for comparing in WRX vs. the World but that's what it's here for and that's what's going on here. I believe I asked if there were any faster. Are there? Or is someone without a WRX going to ***** at me for comparing on a vs. forum OF WRX's?

Next time, read what's said, not what you want to be there.

RN
    hahaha, man you need to chill. i wasnt yelling, just pointing out the fact that you said and i quote "100-102 doesn't impress me. I've topped that before and can easily do so again"....

well you drive an STI, ofcourse you are trapping that, your car is damn fast. i just thought it was funny how you said it. its seemed like "that trap is nothing, my STI does that easily"

well like i said, you drive a 300hp+ STI.. ofcourse the cars are TO be compared in this forum, but i was just stating, in reality, the arnt really comparable unless the celica has some decent work done to it, otherwise the STI would own it.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Originally posted by InfamousDX
    I can see how they pose problems to Stage 2 WRX's, but the thing is... there is a plateau. They'll get to 13's VERY easily but getting anything faster will be very hard for them I'm sure. Just like RSX-S's... Hondata and BPU and you have mid 13's but how many 12 second RSX's do you see? Not many.

Make no mistake about it, I take nothing away from these cars. They are not slouches.
    There really isn't a plateau - but the problem is, getting past low 13s is very costly, vs. getting there with a WRX.

There are tons of aftermarket parts for the RSX-S, both N/A and F/I. TONS of parts. Cams, intake manis, rods, pistons, etc.. etc... Like I said though, its more costly vs. a WRX, by far.

We've got 1 guy in the 11s already. Not too many in the 12s and a bunch in the 13s. But like I said, this setup is more costly and not as effective as the WRX because of AWD (putting the power down) and stock F/I. Oh well, thanks for the respect and your points are well taken. Its just that the RSX-S can't so much be lumped into the same group because it has such a monsterous aftermarket support that its different.
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

Originally posted by InfamousDX

well yes, this is where they reach their full potential N/A without major engine work. but there are many rsx-s running around with turbos that run 12's. not sure about the celica though.
    Just call me Clark Kent

hahaha, man you need to chill. i wasnt yelling, just pointing out the fact that you said and i quote "100-102 doesn't impress me. I've topped that before and can easily do so again"....

well you drive an STI, ofcourse you are trapping that, your car is damn fast. i just thought it was funny how you said it. its seemed like "that trap is nothing, my STI does that easily"

well like i said, you drive a 300hp+ STI.. ofcourse the cars are TO be compared in this forum, but i was just stating, in reality, the arnt really comparable unless the celica has some decent work done to it, otherwise the STI would own it.
    Exactly...and after saying they usually won't stack up well together, that's where the comparison ended. You neglected to notice that. Hence, *****ing at me about comparing them was totally unnecessary, a waste of time. I've long since "chilled"...I'm not the one *****ing at someone else about a tiny comparison.

Again, I'll ask, are there any faster? Turbo? Supercharged? Even maybe running a lot of nitrous? I'd like to know what they can do with FI if 13.7 is possible on a 1.8L NA engine. Please don't overlook this one again...again. I've asked because I don't know but would like to know. That was more the point of the post than the short comparison ever was.

RN
    Last edited by renichms; 04-05-2004 at 02:14 PM.

Again, I'll ask, are there any faster? Turbo? Supercharged? Even maybe running a lot of nitrous? I'd like to know what they can do with FI if 13.7 is possible on a 1.8L NA engine. Please don't overlook this one again...again. I've asked because I don't know but would like to know. That was more the point of the post than the short comparison ever was.

RN
    Are you referring to RSX's or Celi's? I can answer your question re: RSX's - yes, there is one guy that hit 11.99 at the track a few months ago. There are some in the 12s as well and plenty in the 13s trapping well over 100mph.

However, as you and I both know,with the 11 and 12 second F/I slips, those are times that can probably only be replicated at the track with some good, sticky tires. The guy that hit 11.99 did it on DR's and on his 18" street tire setup I believe he hit low 13s at something like 110mph. So there are RSX's out there F/I that can easily hit 13s at the track, but on the street, they'll probably spin their way to defeat against a properly driven STI from a dig. Of course, from a roll, its a different story. Maybe they could actually hook up.

But let's be real, there aren't enough out there to really warrant concern from your end

Are you referring to RSX's or Celi's? I can answer your question re: RSX's - yes, there is one guy that hit 11.99 at the track a few months ago. There are some in the 12s as well and plenty in the 13s trapping well over 100mph.

However, as you and I both know,with the 11 and 12 second F/I slips, those are times that can probably only be replicated at the track with some good, sticky tires. The guy that hit 11.99 did it on DR's and on his 18" street tire setup I believe he hit low 13s at something like 110mph. So there are RSX's out there F/I that can easily hit 13s at the track, but on the street, they'll probably spin their way to defeat against a properly driven STI from a dig. Of course, from a roll, its a different story. Maybe they could actually hook up.

But let's be real, there aren't enough out there to really warrant concern from your end
    I meant for Celica but RSX works too. Those are some pretty good times. Sounds like there are a number that'd beat me at the track and possibly from a roll...though I have no idea what I trap right now (added mods without going to track yet). There was a guy in my city that had an RSX-S but replaced it with a Civic Si (new).

I would assume the Celica has SOMEONE out there running like that, somehow, though I think I remember someone once mentioning some problem like the ECU being hard to work with or something.

RN

I meant for Celica but RSX works too. Those are some pretty good times. Sounds like there are a number that'd beat me at the track and possibly from a roll...though I have no idea what I trap right now (added mods without going to track yet). There was a guy in my city that had an RSX-S but replaced it with a Civic Si (new).

I would assume the Celica has SOMEONE out there running like that, somehow, though I think I remember someone once mentioning some problem like the ECU being hard to work with or something.

RN
    Like I said, there aren't enough RSX's that would give you problems for you to worry about They are few and far between. I think its relatively "easy" to get an RSX-S in the 13s, but much more difficult (and costly) to get them into the 12s and 11s. And let's be real, they need to run DR's or slicks to achieve those times.

On the street, from a dig, I find it hard to believe that a properly driven STI would lose to all but .00009% (lol) of the RSX's in existance. And I'm talking about a stock STI here - forget a modded STI.

From a roll, there are probably quite a few that could run with you, but that's pretty irrelevant since real racing is from a dig IMO.

As far as Celi's go, don't quote me on this, but I don't think they are anywhere close to the RSX-S at this point in terms of numbers of guys in the 13s - I'm not sure if they've had anyone break into the 12s or 11s yet either. But their time will come as more companies start making parts for them. Its a great platform to work on, they just need more support. But I'll let a Celi guy answer that question as I don't really follow how well they are doing at the track. Late

Like I said, there aren't enough RSX's that would give you problems for you to worry about They are few and far between. I think its relatively "easy" to get an RSX-S in the 13s, but much more difficult (and costly) to get them into the 12s and 11s. And let's be real, they need to run DR's or slicks to achieve those times.

On the street, from a dig, I find it hard to believe that a properly driven STI would lose to all but .00009% (lol) of the RSX's in existance. And I'm talking about a stock STI here - forget a modded STI.

From a roll, there are probably quite a few that could run with you, but that's pretty irrelevant since real racing is from a dig IMO.

As far as Celi's go, don't quote me on this, but I don't think they are anywhere close to the RSX-S at this point in terms of numbers of guys in the 13s - I'm not sure if they've had anyone break into the 12s or 11s yet either. But their time will come as more companies start making parts for them. Its a great platform to work on, they just need more support. But I'll let a Celi guy answer that question as I don't really follow how well they are doing at the track. Late
    I'm not too concerned with being beaten or not...if I lose, the car's got to be fairly quick and, hopefully, well-driven...I love to see fast cars go fast, so if it takes losing... Thanks for the info though. I prolly won't see an RSX-S modded at all for a while since they are few and far between in stock form here. This town is allllll about Mustang GT's (various generations), LT1 Camaros and the occassional noisy ricer.

RN

renichms: to tell you the truth, i dont really know of many FI celicas. most people dont go any further than basic bolt on's and ecu with the GTS. granite this will net high 13sec passes but thats usually where its left. there are turbo kits, that do similar things as the rsx-s turbo. easy 13's untuned, and mostly around low 13's at low boost to keep traction. but with a low 13sec pass in the 1/4. their top end is much greater....

smokey pretty much covered the rsx-s.... i dont know of many in the 12's, but most that are turbo do run low 13's to high 12's with out high boost. the reason you dont see that many is because its hard to get traction with those types of mods on a FWD car, and i would imagine the torque steer and wheel hop is horrible. its bad enough on my mid 14sec GSR.

i will be going to the track with a guy with a GTS and some bolt on's. ill let you all know what he runs, when i post the times for my friends scooby.
    Just call me Clark Kent

renichms: to tell you the truth, i dont really know of many FI celicas. most people dont go any further than basic bolt on's and ecu with the GTS. granite this will net high 13sec passes but thats usually where its left. there are turbo kits, that do similar things as the rsx-s turbo. easy 13's untuned, and mostly around low 13's at low boost to keep traction. but with a low 13sec pass in the 1/4. their top end is much greater....

smokey pretty much covered the rsx-s.... i dont know of many in the 12's, but most that are turbo do run low 13's to high 12's with out high boost. the reason you dont see that many is because its hard to get traction with those types of mods on a FWD car, and i would imagine the torque steer and wheel hop is horrible. its bad enough on my mid 14sec GSR.

i will be going to the track with a guy with a GTS and some bolt on's. ill let you all know what he runs, when i post the times for my friends scooby.
    Thanks for the info. My PT Cruiser is low powered and would get nasty wheel hop and torque steer, so I can see how that'd be a really nasty problem. How much would some form of more drag oriented tires help that?

RN

My best friends neighbor drives one. I raced it, and bent him over and gave it to him how he deserved. I think his only mod is his muffler errr no not muffler, piece of steel pipe at the end of his exhaust system. One of the loudest cars I have ever heard, also one of the slowest.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

Thanks for the info. My PT Cruiser is low powered and would get nasty wheel hop and torque steer, so I can see how that'd be a really nasty problem. How much would some form of more drag oriented tires help that?

RN
    it would more than likely help out the wheel hop, but i doubt it would do anything for torque steer... its just kinda one of the many perils of FWD.

drag radials can do a lot though from what i have seen... a guy around here had a turbo B18C1 civic hatch which runs 12's regularly on the street. he cant go over 6-7 psi though due to traction problems, but when puts some stickier radials he pulls hard on mid 12sec Ls1's and such. i am thinking the D.R. tires are helping him out with 4-5 tenths.
    Just call me Clark Kent

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.