cobbs stg 2 vs turbo IS - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on cobbs stg 2 vs turbo IS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by wrxpaul Yea they are dyno queens I saw one at the track guy made like 600 hp ...

Originally posted by wrxpaul
    Yea they are dyno queens I saw one at the track guy made like 600 hp but had no traction at all he was running like mid-high thirteens on one of his runs he ran a 14 he was just really struggling for traction.
    yeah that seems to be a common problem. there are many supras making power capable of 11's but only run high 12's because of traction problems. i guess thats one of the perils of owning a car with that much power. an old friend of mine has a BPU supra that ran a best of 12.4 and he can get em' lose at a 55mph roll. its nuts

Originally posted by ilivas
    I prefer the IS300. My friend has one and it is one of the best luxury cars I've ridden in. The interior is top notch. I'd take a 600 hp IS300 over a 600hp supra anyday.
    only thing is that at 600hp the is300 is reaching its limits..
    at 600hp the supra hasnt even started yet. just the tip of the iceberg.
    is300 interior is really nice though, if only it was faster. handling is great though
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'd be rather satisfied with 600 whp.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

CKxx yes it was an auto and yes it was blue and i belvie it did say XS on the front. He was having problems with his front grill. the car kinda looked like crap (beatup) but when you have a turbo motor like that i dont car what it looks like cause all your gona see is the aztec tail lights. I even think i saw a MSD ignition box(red on the right side of the motor.

Originally posted by ilivas
    I prefer the IS300. My friend has one and it is one of the best luxury cars I've ridden in. The interior is top notch. I'd take a 600 hp IS300 over a 600hp supra anyday.
    you havent been driving/riding in many luxury cars then.
    1967 Camaro
    2002 WRX SOLD

I have ridden in quite a few. The IS300 is on par with my mom's 50k dollar e320 benz and my friends dad's cadillac.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

aztec tail lights
    Do you mean altezza? I thought an aztec was an ugly pontiac SUV.
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

Originally posted by 4cyturbowrx
    CKxx yes it was an auto and yes it was blue and i belvie it did say XS on the front. He was having problems with his front grill. the car kinda looked like crap (beatup) but when you have a turbo motor like that i dont car what it looks like cause all your gona see is the aztec tail lights. I even think i saw a MSD ignition box(red on the right side of the motor.
    Ha nice. It was most likely him.

If it had 19in wheels im gonna go ahead and say it was def the same guy I know. Honestly, how many fully built nasty IS's are there around here...not many.

Originally posted by keystah
    that kind of IS300 buildup costs $30,000 installed. I saw the website but can' remember which. Congrats, your $27,000 car got own3d by $60,000. For the IS300 to go turbo, you need exhaust, ecu, injectors, fuel pump, new HEAD, turbo, plumbing, IC, intake, intake manifold...
    basically $10,000 in parts.

meh, should have got a supra.
    You sound salty. Just spend $2k on a 1st generation DSM and you'll beat lots of cars on the road for hardly any loot at all.

On the street, you run what you brung. And let's be real here, this whole game is nothing but who's got the deepest pockets. So why does it matter that a $60k car outran a $27k car?
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

I Support ClubWRX
    When I was stage 4 w/vf34 I got WAXED by a turbo is3 on the NJ turnpike. I mean this guy was laughing it was so bad! And after a while I started laughing... I had to... the car was stupid fast. It was dark blue with an intercooler. Nasty car. Beautiful too!
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Yah, maybe I am a little bit jealous. But really, a turbo IS is better than a lot of things people are turbocharging these days. It's at least RWD and has a good stance from the factory.

THe deepest pockets thing definately applies 90% of the time.
    Former car: 2002 Cobb/Scoobysport stage 2 WRX sedan
    New ride: ???

Originally posted by MidKnight
    When I was stage 4 w/vf34 I got WAXED by a turbo is3 on the NJ turnpike. I mean this guy was laughing it was so bad! And after a while I started laughing... I had to... the car was stupid fast. It was dark blue with an intercooler. Nasty car. Beautiful too!
    I know that car. It's an XS Engineering kit. Dont feel bad, he's pushing 500 whp.

P.S. I used to have an IS and got rid of it for the WRX. It's a really expensive car to modify and the 02-up ecu's hate mods. I'm happy with my decision Besides, if I had the lump sum of cash to go for a huge turbo on an IS, I would just get a supra. Sure, i've modded the piss out of my wrx, but its comparatively cheaper, and done little by little.
    2004 R32: 220 whp

For Sale: 2003 wrx
    376 whp @ 22 psi, 93 octane

Pics:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/badassrex

CJxx i was going to say that he had some crazy big wheels on the back. It didnt even look like they could fit. Hey i dont care that i got beat, i was happy that i got beat, i was laughing my butt off. If i see this guy Ill try to get his # and see if he wants to go to the track with all of us. The worst thing about it was that i was so surpprised that he was an auto. Know that is luxury with some speed.

Bassman It seems that your modded and my modded terms are differnt. YOUR RUNNING HOW MUCH MORE POWER THEN ME. darn near double, I still love your setup.

P.S I didnt get the tax return that i was expecting to this year

modded is a very relative term Just ask the supra guys...they talk about mods gaining hundreds of hp like we talk about 20. And then you have the all motor honda/acura guys that gain 8 whp from a header and jump for joy. One supra guy i ran into was deciding on what single turbo to go with, and someone asked him why he chose what he did. His response: "it spools a lot faster than most of the singles, and I mean, it only makes 100 hp less than the t88"

Dyno queens...

BTW, There's a guy with a turbo IS around here. I've met him in passing and seen his car, its very sweet. He has the toyomoto stage 5.5: http://www.toyomoto.com/is300.htm However, I saw him race a bolt-on c5 from a roll and they were dead even (the video from racingflix where the IS catches fire). I'm gonna contact him and see if he wants to go so some pulls for fun. If his car is properly tuned and all I shouldnt stand a chance, but if the 330 whp c5 was even with him then i dunno. That very well may have been at low boost though. If you've ever seen the vid, the first run, they are even, then the second, before the car catches fire, the IS pulls pretty hard on the c5. The last time I spoke to him he mentioned 800 hp on race gas. I really dont know, but it'd sure be interesting to find out.

Here's the vid:
    http://www.racingflix.com/getvideo.asp?v=215&p=5

By the way, the fire was due to a catch can overflow, not a blown motor/turbo...And if you notice, there's a black c5 that FLIES past the turboIS (who has already pulled hard on the 330 whp c5) at the end...that thing runs 10.7 on street tires.
    Last edited by BassMan097; 04-05-2004 at 09:45 PM.
    2004 R32: 220 whp

For Sale: 2003 wrx
    376 whp @ 22 psi, 93 octane

Pics:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/badassrex

Unless you pay money, it will take a long time to DL that vid.
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast