STi vs 03 Cobra
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi vs 03 Cobra within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well I thought I would be man enough to admit I got beat by an 03 Cobra today. I'm not ...

STi vs 03 Cobra

Well I thought I would be man enough to admit I got beat by an
    03 Cobra today. I'm not sure what mods he had, but he was definately modded and was running slicks (not drag radials)

This race was at the track

I got a very slight lead off the line ( 1/2 car maybe), I slammed 2nd gear and we are side by side. I slam third gear and he is still right next to me ( feeling good). Then I slam 4th gear and he is slowly starting to pull on me ( 1 car lead). Then I slam 5th gear and he's gone ( 2 cars and pulling hard)

I ended up running 12.8 @ 105 mph. I believe he ran
    12. 2 @ 116 mph (ouch) - He really started hauling butt right at the very end of the track.

I felt pretty good. I was still on his bumper at 3/4 track. After than he just blew me away.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

good death!

what was your 60' time?

Originally posted by TurnWRX
    good death!

what was your 60' time?

I ran a 1.79 sec 60' time, which actually sucks for me. I ran a
    1.66 sec 60'time on 2 previous runs but missed 3 rd gear. I wish I could put a good 60' time together with a clean run. I've been having trouble finding 3rd gear when racing? Not sure why. I guess I'm still learning how to shift the STi's 6 speed. I never had this problem in my 02 WRX.

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    I've been having trouble finding 3rd gear when racing? Not sure why. I guess I'm still learning how to shift the STi's 6 speed. I never had this problem in my 02 WRX.

How is your hand positioned on the shift knob? Try putting the stick between your index and middle finger and shift to 3rd. Or put the lower part of your palm right behind the shift knob and push it to 3rd. I've never driven a 6 speed or short throw yet, but these two methods work well for me. Give it a try

I almost bought the cobra but 35k for a mustang..eh..a little high even for this engine junkie. Nice lost though , I almost afraid to run them... I will one day though...maybe.
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    03 cobras once modded are just beasts...with just a pulley, exhaust, intake, they put down 465-500rwhp...and remain totally streetable and reliable.

good death.
    2003 SRT-4

Good death, there is lower 12's or better in that STI, soon as the ecm is mastered.
    02 WRX Wagon Silver SOLD
    03 Cobra Satin Silver, twin screwed, cammed, ported, nasty

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wow, that 1.66 sec 60' time is about ht best I've ever seen.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Originally posted by josnroh
    I've seen 1.4s from street cars with RWD...

but yea, 1.6 consistently is damn good.
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by josnroh
    I'm finding it pretty easy to pull very fast 60' times in my STi. The car just lays down the power really well leaving the line.

I believe Copracer288 pulled a 1.64 sec 60'time in his lightly modded STi. Thats the fastest I've seen so far.

What did you launch it at.

and i doubt the Cobra had slicks unless it was a bad driver.

Originally posted by audirs6

they have I.R.S. which makes it pretty hard to get a good launch...
    2003 SRT-4

One of my co-workers had a 500+rwhp 03' Cobra... Key word here is "had", he wrecked it on the freeway on a night when it had rained slightly. The thing is, even on a sunny and dry day he could barely get traction in any gear. Those cars are very powerful but they dont harness that power very well.. The handling and braking in that car is downright scary and at WOT it starts getting sideways at anything under 75.. He even switched to wider, street slicks and it still would get sideways at 50... Scary

Originally posted by Paul__420
    One of my co-workers had a 500+rwhp 03' Cobra... Key word here is "had", he wrecked it on the freeway on a night when it had rained slightly. The thing is, even on a sunny and dry day he could barely get traction in any gear. Those cars are very powerful but they dont harness that power very well.. The handling and braking in that car is downright scary and at WOT it starts getting sideways at anything under 75.. He even switched to wider, street slicks and it still would get sideways at 50... Scary
    I crashed my last supercharged GT 2 times in the rain...then I sold it.
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by audirs6

I launch at about 5500 rpms.

The Cobra was running pure racing slicks. Thats 100% for sure. He had to use lane 3 - designated for cars running non - street approved tires (slicks).

When he pulled up to do his burnout ( I waited because, street tire cars normally don't race cars running slicks at our track), but the track official waved me forward and said it would be ok to race him. So again he was definately running slicks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.