Encountered a new Mazda 3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Encountered a new Mazda 3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well, I didn't race him but we did line up next to each other at a light but I didn't ...

Encountered a new Mazda 3

Well, I didn't race him but we did line up next to each other at a light but I didn't think it was fast so I didn't bother. I definitely like the look though. It's a very nice and curvy car. I'd say it's about the size of a VW Golf or a 03 honda civic si.

I slowly pulled away from the light and accelerated moderately and I could hear his motor buzzing next to me. I don't think he was racing or anything but I was curious as to what type of power, handling, etc those things are equiped with. If they ever come out w/ a mazdaspeed version, I'm sure it would be pretty nice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sht
    i have been told they handle well but rightnow they are way under powered
    wrx 04 black

workin for the man

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    i agree i think that the mazdaspeed version would be neat. I especially like the 5-door in white. Got to drive one at the Mazda REv it up event...handled pretty nicely for stock. Good turn in, a bit understeerish with moderate acceleration at speed. Dead stop acceleration is sluggish compared to the WRX is seemed.

They only had the auto/tiptronic shifter one to test-drive though unfortunately.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

I wonder how much leg room they have. It's a pretty small car but it had four doors. I can only imagine how cramped the back seat would be. Hell... our cars suck for back seat leg room!

It's a nice looking car w/out a doubt. If they released one to compete directly with the WRX it would be a close call. Mazdaspeed could really do some cool things with it. It needs a turbo or supercharger though... AWD would't hurt either

i test dorve one cause i was thinking of a newer car at the time. the car was great looking inside but with all the options it isnt worth it. the power was horibble. my old truck would have killed that thing. no way theres 160 horse in that thing. my bro's sunfire is qiucker than that thing. body is great but the test drive let me down alot. hense i bought my WRX.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Mazda 3 has 160 hp,no match for a WRX.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Originally posted by shiro9
    i test dorve one cause i was thinking of a newer car at the time. the car was great looking inside but with all the options it isnt worth it. the power was horibble. my old truck would have killed that thing. no way theres 160 horse in that thing. my bro's sunfire is qiucker than that thing. body is great but the test drive let me down alot. hense i bought my WRX.
    I don't know how the new 3 compares to the older version of it, the other 5-door one... but i test drove that one a month or two before I bought the WRX and felt the same way. It was a very boring car to drive, and definately lacked something. Fully loaded it would have came to about 18k from the dealer, leather, auto, etc... but it was just plain boring to drive.

Surprisingly, the Sentra SE-R (not talking the Spec-V) was very fun to drive. If I had driven the Spec-V I might have bought it before I knew about the WRx.

I really like the look of the 5 door... Too bad its not turbocharged. A Mazdaspeed version would be cool.

i spent a bit of time behind a 3 at mazda rev it up, but they were on all on falken azenis, and the competition cars were one ebiach springs and borla cat backs. So they felt very well planted, for the stock suspension ones with just tires, they were definatly above average handeling, but the steering was very very numb compared to my rex, i had a very hard time trying to figure out what the front tires were doing underneath me. Same with brakes, while good, still much softer than wrx brakes, again had a hard time getting just that right ammount of HARD braking to allow for turning w/o front tires just giving up. Then thers power, yea they were tiptronic autos, and sure felt like 160hp, and a good bit less torque. Im sure part of it was the auto but it really felt sluggish trying to get outa the corners.

But ofcourse, after all that is said and done, if i had to drive a rex or mazda 3 up to the mountains (socal = no snow, so awd dosent matter) which is a 140 mile treck one way, id take a mazda 3. Much nicer interior, sexy seats, altho i cant say anthing about thier long trip comfort, im pretty sure its gona be better than the rex.

i think mazda needs to be more creative when making names

Originally posted by DinoGuan
    But ofcourse, after all that is said and done, if i had to drive a rex or mazda 3 up to the mountains (socal = no snow, so awd dosent matter) which is a 140 mile treck one way, id take a mazda 3. Much nicer interior, sexy seats, altho i cant say anthing about thier long trip comfort, im pretty sure its gona be better than the rex.
    Ummm...have you driven your rex up to the mountains yet? With the utter lack of power compared to the WRX, the MAzda 3 would be absolutely boring to drive up the Big Bear... I would drive my car just for the heck of driving my car on those roads any day over the Mazda 3. I felt that the seats were comparable to the WRX as well...

Is there some sarcasm in your post that I am not detecting?
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Originally posted by tacomaboy138
    Ummm...have you driven your rex up to the mountains yet? With the utter lack of power compared to the WRX, the MAzda 3 would be absolutely boring to drive up the Big Bear... I would drive my car just for the heck of driving my car on those roads any day over the Mazda 3. I felt that the seats were comparable to the WRX as well...

Is there some sarcasm in your post that I am not detecting?
    heh, thing is i ride alot, atleast once a week, and driving up to bear is too much for me, so im a mt high junkie, and its alot cheaper, so the main road up to high is pretty mellow, usually follow a big fat truck at 40mph for 20 min, there is a back road up to high, it had like 10 turns, then a long 70mph strait, then like 5 more turns, while fun, its simply not enough to justify a 2 hour drive for a hand full of turns. I got 11k on my 04 waggon, maybe a good 3k or so from the mtn alone, i carpool w/my friend so we switch off every other time. And im a big guy, 6'2" and sometimes after a good day riding my leg cramps up in my rex, have to set the CC, slide chair back and stretch, again i had a total of like 4 minutes in the mazda 3 over the course of rev it up so i cannot speak to the long trip comfort, but another thing would be the mileage, 140 miles one way, 280 round, if i fill up the night before, ill be a bit below 1/4 when i get home, that includes the short spirited drive up the mtn. Im sure the mazda would have saved me like 100$ or something in gas in 1 season alone, coulda got new pants and gloves or something...

Iono, im just saying it would probably do a few things better than a rex, but i bought a rex, so i obviously think it does alot more things better

The Mazda 3 is one of the best commuter car buys out there. Nothing compares at that price level, frankly. However, after hanging out on the Mazda forums for nearly a year now, I can say the Mazda people's opinion of it is mainly that the previous version of the Protege handled better, had more rear leg-room. However, the new 2.3l engine has variable valve timing. Take a look at the hp vs. mpg numbers and frankly it is an impressive motor. The car is a little heavy though, but for commuting it would be great.

If you are looking up the next level it would be the new Mazda 6 sport sedan.

-snowcat
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

ah...so you were talking about gas mileage...I thought you were talking about driveability and comfort...which I thought were pretty comparable in both cars...
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast