WRX versus 2002 Eclipse?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX versus 2002 Eclipse? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I know a couple of people that have FWD V-6 Mitsu Eclipses and think they are much faster than me. ...

WRX versus 2002 Eclipse?

I know a couple of people that have FWD V-6 Mitsu Eclipses and think they are much faster than me. One of them has a pale green convertible (spyder) and the other has a forest green coupe. These cars have the same engine that my parent's 89 minivan had in it, with a few changes. I think I saw somewhere 0-60 in 7.0 sec? And are they "much faster" than a 200hp V-6 mustang or camaro?

The spyder guy is really annoying, he keeps trying to race me on a military post where the speed limit is 25 and the MPs will kick the crap out of you if they feel like it.

My question- what are these cars all about? Obviously they have decent low to mid torque because their owners claim massive skills with the manual. But they really arent' that fast are they?

Seems to me that the old 2nd gen Eclipses were lighter, more powerful, and AWD, not to mention highly moddable. These new ones are just...uhh...
    Last edited by keystah; 03-30-2004 at 02:47 PM.
    Former car: 2002 Cobb/Scoobysport stage 2 WRX sedan
    New ride: ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    nothing special, if you can drive (meaing stock wrxs) you'll roast him.
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
    nothing special, if you can drive (meaing stock wrxs) you'll roast him.
    Eclipse...

If that kid ever tries to talk to you again... tell him you will race him... and the winner gets to punch the loser in the face.
    All show and no go . . .
    Your car looks fast, but why's it so slo.

2002 WR blue WRX (RIP)
    2001 Imola Red BMW M Coupe (sold... )

dude you are stage 2. i raced one from a roll in my stock rex and beat it. a stage 2 wrx will definitely whoop a new eclipse from a stop even if you bog like crazy.
    1967 Camaro
    2002 WRX SOLD

I've been spanked multiple times in my 2g dsm lightly modded by a stock Rex

It will be way faster than you. Its a convertible!!
    www.awdpirates.net

Your stg 2 WRX should totally kill an eclipse.

I call BS. There's no way that a Stage 2 WRX can compare with a stock 3rd generation Eclipse. The aerodynamic side dimples add 50 air hp. You only wish you could have the aero efficiency of the mighty FWD (read: 0% drivetrain loss) Eclipse. You'll be massacred by more than 6 carlenghts, Don't even try to race him. Do a search n00b.

Red face neon sxt wanted some lovin'

Lol. That is too funny. I love that "air hp", that is t3h cool3st. I forgot that fwd was lossless, I better not mess with him.

Kinda funny, this Neon sxt wanted to race me today. I don't understand how people can think to race me without some sort of signal. I only know they are racing when they take off as fast as they can. Heck, I bogged and still beat him by a car length to 35 mph. So we lined up at this light, speed limit is 55. Its pretty much an open highway. I rev (indicating I'm going to go) and launch hard, putting 4 to 5 car lengths on him by 60. He kinda hung back after that. Ashamed?

I can only hope that In my life I never hear another story about an SXT trying to race anything...ever
    All show and no go . . .
    Your car looks fast, but why's it so slo.

2002 WR blue WRX (RIP)
    2001 Imola Red BMW M Coupe (sold... )

yeah, now that I think about it... it really wasnt' worth my time to type that. I should have said "A neon sxt tried to race me. ha." Sorry for wasting your time, everyone knows how THAT story ends.

Yeah just line up with them and let them there. Cause that's whats gonna happen. I'd say watch out for the 2g GSXs but if your Stage2 you don't really need to worry to much about them either. But the 3g's are heavier, slower, handle worse, have no traction, and sorry they are a woman's car. Sorry if I offend any of the ladies. So honestly you should just laugh at the guy for that.

There were 2 guys screwing with me in a convertable 02 eclipes on my way to an autox one time. Kept cutting me off and weaving around so I decided to get away from them. Apparently they truly thought they could keep up. They were about ________ big in my rear veiw after about 10 secs. Of course I dont have a wrx but there was about 200lbs of stuff in my back seat and trunk.
    Alex

Blew the tranny on my 92 awd turboed Laser. was told it would be to hard to find a replacement. so I bought a subaru. long story short / got the Laser back. Laser would do a very polite, 130 from Redmond to Boise (desert). Thing was I was selling it for $3,000 and had $25,000 wrx in driveway that was not quite as fast. Is a wagon and wouldn't push thru 125.
    Have done mods to the wrx and I like it as I can get sea kayak on top. But my hats off to that 195hprd lil Laser. I think that the mitsu. awd is more efficiant than the subaru. Is only / best explanation. Can enjoy both. Yes they turned it into a granma car w/6cylindar, and made it heavier.
    Last edited by madmanx; 04-01-2004 at 09:30 AM.
    Mods

1969 Sunbeam Tiger
    1973 Norton Commando w/combat engine.
    1983 V65 Magna
    1992 Laser

Ive had a stock wrx wagon before and it could top 125. Do you have an auto?
    Alex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast