WRX versus 2002 Eclipse? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX versus 2002 Eclipse? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Bah. A poor platform for so much power. (the 3g). I just do not understand how they went from AWD ...

Bah. A poor platform for so much power. (the 3g). I just do not understand how they went from AWD turbo to FWD NA w/less power and more weight.
    Former car: 2002 Cobb/Scoobysport stage 2 WRX sedan
    New ride: ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by keystah
    Bah. A poor platform for so much power. (the 3g). I just do not understand how they went from AWD turbo to FWD NA w/less power and more weight.
    It is a chick car, face it. They get pissed if you start saying that on their forum.
    -Andrew

Originally posted by madmanx
    Yikes
    150 in a wagon. I asked a raquetball buddy of mine who is an engineer SCCA (whatever) autocross racer. Whats up w/wrx hitting the wall at 125? He said / wish I could quote, "Resistance = hp+mass x( surface area, to the third). In essence as a car like the wrx w/large surface area + drag from boxed rear end., requires say 205hp to get to 120 but at that speed the hp to get above the critical resistance. Say 205hp at 120mph would be 250 to get to 135mph. After the wrx wagon builds up air resistance it is not only a matter of slicing through air like a more streamlined car. I know my driver side window started shaking at 140mph also. I'll try getting to 150 w/266whp, one of these nights. But you know the wrx wagon is not exactly bullet shaped, and is a lot of turbulance going on at that speed.
    I say first person to post 150mph in a wrx wagon gets a prize of some sort.
    Personally. (I think) 150 is safer on my V65. My Metzler tires are at least gauranteed to 160mph.
    How about 130 w/a sea kayak on top. Is 19' long and only 22" wide. We need a sponsor.
    I understand completely but ive been higher then 125 in a wrx wagon before while being completely stock.
    Alex

If a sedan can go 143, I don't see how the wagon could be so much worse aerodynamically to decrease speed by 18mph. Then again I haven't personally tested this.

Anyone find it funny that the WRX may be the only car that can max out it's speedo stock?
    Former car: 2002 Cobb/Scoobysport stage 2 WRX sedan
    New ride: ???

Originally posted by VOLFAN
    Had my '95 TSi up to just a shade over 145 but it took a while to get there. I pretty much got my butt handed to me by all WRX's before I got rid of it and bought a scoobie myself! The TSi was fast but no where near as much fun or as fast as the WRX.
    I'm in the same boat. I got worked over by stock WRX in my DSM quite a few times. It is fun, but now its time to move on, taking delivery of 04' wrx in a week or two.

man
    So, the dsm guys get pissy?
    Quit jumping up and down, if someone enjoys cars / motor bikes overall. Calling my car slo, or me a bad driver doesn't negate the fact that the 1st and 2nd gen. dsm's were a nice car.
    Liked the monkey, although / I suspect you may spend to much time on computer.
    Mods

1969 Sunbeam Tiger
    1973 Norton Commando w/combat engine.
    1983 V65 Magna
    1992 Laser

Originally posted by LemonHerb
    It is a chick car, face it. They get pissed if you start saying that on their forum.
    LoL. If you know this from experience...can you plz link us?

Honestly though, they really are chick cars. Ive never seen a 3rd gen EVER that I liked.

Originally posted by CKxx
    LoL. If you know this from experience...can you plz link us?

Honestly though, they really are chick cars. Ive never seen a 3rd gen EVER that I liked.
    Ill go look for the thred.
    -Andrew

Me calling it a chick's car here

I had to drive it for a while when my WRX was in the shop, I won a few races. They weren't to happy about this.
    -Andrew

Originally posted by keystah
    If a sedan can go 143, I don't see how the wagon could be so much worse aerodynamically to decrease speed by 18mph. Then again I haven't personally tested this.

Anyone find it funny that the WRX may be the only car that can max out it's speedo stock?
    Look at the numbers the sedan and wagon have the exact same drag cf. Wagons are a better shape since the line doesnt drop off at the c-pillar like sedans. The wagon also has less frontal mass due to no fender flares. What brings the wagons cf back down to the sedans is the roof rails breaks up the air flow. I just dont see how someones wagon could top out at 120 unless they are going agaisnt wind uphill. 4th gear will take you to about 120 and I have run out of 4th gear and still had pulling power in 5th.

I only called the 3g eclipse slow the 1 and 2g were nice cars as long as you can keep them running.
    Alex

Hey LemonHerb made those 3g owner pretty mad with that little post. But I don't blame ya. Nice looking yes, girls car yes.

i think you forgot to mention to them that the eclipse was designed by a chick

Originally posted by LemonHerb
    Yah somewhat. I will say it before and I will say it again. It is like driving a submarine, can't see a damned thing that isn't out the front window. And the turn radius is like a bus, god forbid you have to hit a tight parking space, get ready for the 42 point turn. Other then that I am not fond of the traction, not saying it is bad for a FWD car, but I drive a WRX (when it isn't in the shop) so I am spoiled. And it is to heavy, and a chicks car. Other then that it is fine, the tranny is stupidly easy to drive, which is a plus, the WRX is really actually quite tricky.
    HOLY HELL! That was awesome!

Everyone go read that now. Trust me.

Originally posted by EvilCerealBoX
    i think you forgot to mention to them that the eclipse was designed by a chick

Yah they were none to happy. I particularly liked when I said he didn't have to question his own sexuality because of my opinion of his car.
    -Andrew

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.