Ran a BMW 745 on the highway yesterday...

This is a discussion on Ran a BMW 745 on the highway yesterday... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was on the highway on my way to pick up my dog yesterda from my sis, cruising at 80mph, ...

Ran a BMW 745 on the highway yesterday...

I was on the highway on my way to pick up my dog yesterda from my sis, cruising at 80mph, when a looked begind and saw those Bimmer angel eyes in my rear view... This guy was obviously dying to get by since he was stuck on my bumper at that speed, so I moved over to the right (slow lane), and let him by. At this point, I saw that it was a 745i.. A silver one. Those cars look really nice and all, but I wanted to see what the owner would think if he looked in his rear view to see my lowly scooby keeping with him at 80+ mph.

A few mins after he had gone by, I caught up with him again thanks to traffic in his lane. As soon as both lanes opened up, and there was a HUGE opening in front us in both lanes, I lined up beside him in the slow lane, in 4th gear at 80mph, and waited to see what he would do. As predicted, he floored it, and got one hell of a jump on me before my turbo hit full boost. Unfortunately, I wasn't 'quite' as quick to hit it, so that might explain part of the jump. I am also aware that I 'could ' have downshifted to 3rd and got a much better start, but I did not want to look too obvious sitting beside this person with my engine screaming its heart out waiting for him to do something.

I am thinking that the insta-torque of that V8 engine and gearing was helping him bigtime. He got a 3/4 car jump on me before I quickly started reeling him in. As soon as I hit full boost (18psi), I walked by him and put 3 carlengths on him by 110mph. I am thinking it would have been worse of a beating if he did not get that jump on me at the start...

I was laughin my ass off at this time because of my little victory. The Bimmer broke off the chase, and settled into the slow lane (right side), and slowed down abit I think.

I have to give that car credit though...They definitely are geared for the highway. I knew I would win our little pissing contest, but I was a litle unsure how brute whp would do against the autobahn gearing those big-engined bimmers have. From the looks of things though, it looks like it might have helped to have our long 4th gear in this situation..... Kinda allowed me to just sit in that gear and accelerate on and on without needing to shift into 5th gear.... Not sure what you guys think...

Before anyone calls BS on me, my car has a PE 1820 snail equipped with all the usual trimmings...

PS: story is long, yes, I have been told in the past, but I like to give the readers a really good insight into the details of what led up to the race, and what exacty went down
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I call BS, no way PE1820 can pull a V8.
    Last edited by slin02; 03-28-2004 at 08:44 AM.
    my car is slow,,,,,, very slow.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Another bimmer learns his lesson. Nice kill.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

word, nice kill
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Originally posted by slin02
    I call BS, no way PE1820 can pull a V8.

If an 1820 cant pull a v8, what does that say about the 1818?

haha
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Nice Kill.

I Support ClubWRX
    I enjoyed reading that. Cool story and nice kill...

teh 1820 = predatory snail!
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Originally posted by Integra96
    I enjoyed reading that. Cool story and nice kill...

teh 1820 = predatory snail!
    While the turbo is good, I will be the first to say that with my setup, it definitely is not perfect all the time.

I have aftermarket header on the car, so while it is wicked for top end racing on the highway, it isn't as effective in town. You really have to give it some stick if you want some semblance of power, and by the time you get the power, you are way past legal speeds... I don't regret the setup though...Just the price you pay for top end power....
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Originally posted by jigga

If an 1820 cant pull a v8, what does that say about the 1818?

haha
    it has 200 rpm less lag!!!and 50whp less potential, yeah yeah, rub it in.

Originally posted by slin02
    it has 200 rpm less lag!!!and 50whp less potential, yeah yeah, rub it in.
    ironically though, as the cars sits, yours might even be more potent on the highway than mine is.. I am still on a TMIC (TurboXS), but hope to be swiching to the APS DR500 soon....I am hoping that my highway power increases considerably with this mod..

Not to go OT too much, but did you run your 1818 with just a TMIC?? What difference did you note when you went fmic?
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Sorry, I have not got it dynoed yet. In fact, I don't plan on keeping PE1818 for long. (GT30R in process)
    However, Dan@godspeed told me that someone who have exactly the same setup as mine running just slightly over 300whp on 93 pump gas, that is 40 whp more than I dynoed with stock TMIC. Once you get the FMIC, you should be deep in 300whp club, easily.

nice kill over a 745i that's almost 2-ton
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

Originally posted by FrankW
    nice kill over a 745i that's almost 2-ton
    those suckers may weigh close to 2 tons, but I could almost swear it doesn't move like a tank when on the move! I definitely wouldn't mind one though... Even though I like the old 7 series better, this one still has this 'pimp' look about it... Just like the new Benz E500's as well.... They just ooze pinache...
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

good kill man

Originally posted by jigga
    those suckers may weigh close to 2 tons, but I could almost swear it doesn't move like a tank when on the move! I definitely wouldn't mind one though... Even though I like the old 7 series better, this one still has this 'pimp' look about it... Just like the new Benz E500's as well.... They just ooze pinache...
    I'll take the new 545i SMG sport over the 7 any day.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240