possible to beat a RX-7 3rd gen turbo?

This is a discussion on possible to beat a RX-7 3rd gen turbo? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i have a wrx w/ hks dp, hks catback, gfb bov, and a cobb stage 2 reflash. my friend has ...

possible to beat a RX-7 3rd gen turbo?

i have a wrx w/ hks dp, hks catback, gfb bov, and a cobb stage 2 reflash. my friend has a 91-93 rx-7 turbo with clutch, lightened flywheel, pulleys, and a mbc. will it be even close at all? i hung with him when he was stock and i just had a dp and catback.
    03 WRB WRX - 5/18/03

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's really hard to say. I think he's gonna get you from a roll, but I think you can beat him enough off the line that he won't catch up for a while. Go to it and find out

-Michael

if you "hung with him while he was stock, and you had catback and DP, i would assume that with his mods he would take you.
    especially from a roll its going to be harder to keep up, from a stop he will most likely catch you eventually. so the shorter the race the better.

for some extra help, invest in an uppipe and MBC. just over $220 and will net pretty good gains, and give you a better chance from a stop
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

well i cant get a mbc because cobb doesnt recommend it. i already have their stage 2 ecu. when i raced him when he was stock, i took him from the launch but he slowly caught up near the end of 3rd and kept pulling slowly. he was at my rear bumper the whole time. when he finally caught up i know we passed a 1/4 mile lengths worth already.

Originally posted by DTR maxima
    if you "hung with him while he was stock, and you had catback and DP, i would assume that with his mods he would take you.
    especially from a roll its going to be harder to keep up, from a stop he will most likely catch you eventually. so the shorter the race the better.

for some extra help, invest in an uppipe and MBC. just over $220 and will net pretty good gains, and give you a better chance from a stop
    03 WRB WRX - 5/18/03

Originally posted by ASpec818
    well i cant get a mbc because cobb doesnt recommend it. i already have their stage 2 ecu. when i raced him when he was stock, i took him from the launch but he slowly caught up near the end of 3rd and kept pulling slowly. he was at my rear bumper the whole time. when he finally caught up i know we passed a 1/4 mile lengths worth already.
    those cars take really well to boost, and he could have up'ed the boost a considerable amount with a MBC. like i said, just race off the line and keep it as short as possible. from a roll your dead.

maybe do a 0-70 run. hopefully he wont catch up til 90 or so. but he will start to gain ground back entering into 3rd gear
    Just call me Clark Kent

Yeah I really agree w/that too. From a stop is your only chance I think. FD's can be crazy quick even on stock turbo's. There's one around here trapping 119 on stock twins

Don't put any money on this race haha.

-Michael

Originally posted by Schaf100
    Don't put any money on this race haha.

-Michael
    words of the wise
    Just call me Clark Kent

Just FYI, if it's a 3rd gen (FD), and it's in the US it's a 93-95, not 91-93. And you don't have to say "turbo" since they all came from the factory with twin turbos.

My RX7 with bolt ons but stock turbos ran 11.9 with slicks, mid twelves on street tires. My WRX wagon with uppipe, downpipe, catback, highflow cat, UD pulley, I/C hoses, and a Cobb Stage 2 reflash is nowhere near as fast as my RX7 was. The RX7 power adders were an intake, intercooler, downpipe, high flow cat, light flywheel, catback, fuel pump, and a programmable computer for boost, fuel, and timing. I ran about 14 pounds of boost, and was at the bleeding limit of the stock fuel injectors.

jh
    Last edited by hamburger1971; 03-27-2004 at 09:20 PM.

Originally posted by hamburger1971
    Just FYI, if it's a 3rd gen (FD), and it's in the US it's a 93-95, not 91-93. And you don't have to say "turbo" since they all came from the factory with twin turbos.

My RX7 with bolt ons but stock turbos ran 11.9 with slicks, mid twelves on street tires. If he's anything but stock and you're not heavily modded, watch out. My WRX wagon with uppipe, downpipe, catback, highflow cat, UD pulley, I/C hoses, and a Cobb Stage 2 reflash is nowhere near as fast as my RX7 was.

jh
    ahh, thats what i meant a 93-95. i dont know much about them.
    03 WRB WRX - 5/18/03

No problem, there aren't that many of them around. Stock they're 14 second cars, but if properly modded can be blazingly fast. Improperly modded they're timebombs!

jh

Ike
    Or you could just wait for his apex seals to go and taunt him while he's waiting for a new engine

Seriously though, FDs are fast and respond very well to mods, and arw also light nimble handling cars. You're going to have to out launch him and hope it takes a while for him to reel you in.

Ike