just about stock wrx vs. new c5 vette
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on just about stock wrx vs. new c5 vette within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was sitting at a major traffic intersection near my house today (long light). It has 3 lanes that go ...

just about stock wrx vs. new c5 vette

I was sitting at a major traffic intersection near my house today (long light). It has 3 lanes that go forward. I was in the far right lane, and a Honda accord was in the far left lane, with a female in the passenger seat (25-30sh with her dad I'm guessing). I was sitting there for a few minutes, just waiting, when next I know I see a black corvette coming up to be first in the middle lane next to me.

I'm a little excited, but rather cautious, knowing this is a very powerful animal next to me. I'm sitting there for a few seconds, then glance over briefly, no contact made, just sitting there smiling to myself, wondering if this guy (young kid 22 or so with a 20 or so year old passenger) was going to try to take me out when this light changed.

As I was sitting there pondering what he was thinking he throws out a huge rev, which shook my car and I'm sure the accord next to him, so he definantly had an exhaust. It was loud as hell, I thought holy sh*t to myself, that thing sounds not so happy.

So I hear him revving up a little right when the light was getting ready to change.. I didn't have but a quick second to throw my revs up there right when the light turned green.. it must have been around 5k when I slipped the clutch and heard his tires squeal a bit while mine just barked-exploding off the line like a rubber band. I jumped probably 2 cars on him instantly. I didn't stick around to see what his launch was like. I had a brief pause as it turned green trying to get my revs up real quick, while I heard him rev up as his tires squealed a bit. It was a heads up race from that point. I got to about 50 mph and I think he started to stop around 45-50. I was still was the same distance ahead.

It was a good feeling pulling on him off the line. I'd bet he would have reeled me in if he tried, but he gave up. As I drove slowly in the right lane he flew by, I was stuck behind a big truck. A little further up the accord pulled up next to me and they were excited giving me the thumbs up. Great feeling.. I ended up driving by the vette, he was turning, and I looked over and nodded my shoulders like what happens? he was salty, and I laughed. Funtimes today!

It was a new general black vette, with the semi mesh sort of wheels.

I am stock with an hks uppipe & samco i/c hoses.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I tried to stay with a Vette who was hustling on the freeway once, only once. Sounds like he botched his launch, I believe he should have reeled you in and left you just after you changed into 2nd.

BTW, you are not stock, you have changed your uppipe and IC hoses, your warranty is voided *edit* assuming you have less than 36,000 miles on your car.
    Last edited by eluminx; 03-26-2004 at 03:08 PM.

cool nice kill i guess. i bet that felt good. sorry about your warranty
    2002 Subaru Impreza Wrx Sedan

Warranty voided...haha, funny.

Nice "kill." I'd believe it...bad drivers in fast cars make for not so fast cars.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

In most cases he would have walked you by second gear, but not everyone can handle the torque of the vette. eitherway, good race.

i thought subaru's warranty went for 5years or 60k miles??
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

[i]BTW, you are not stock, you have changed your uppipe and IC hoses, your warranty is voided *edit* assuming you have less than 36,000 miles on your car. [/B]
    Give me a break. Warantied items are only affected by items that modify the original items. So... his radio is still covered, his paint, etc. Then there is the implied warranty... if in doubt, talk to a lawyer!

As to the vette, with exhaust work, I stayed even with one in a third gear pull, till he was embarrased and pulled off the highway.

With Vettes its always the element of surprise. My co-workerhas a red 6-speed C5 and passing him on the highway one day it took him a few to catch up and pass me. The next day he told me he had no idea my car was that quick. Of course not as quick as his though. A complement none-the-less.
    02 WRX Silver, 03 Baja Yellow

I had a CTS-V this morning (paper tags and all) play cat and mouse with me. He would pull pretty hard from light to light from about 30-65. He definitly put some distance on me but it wasn't embarassing or anything. Scooby hung in there pretty good deeing as how it is 100% stock and cost about 1/2 of the CTS-V. That CTS-V is a beautiful car though!

I hate vettes, but I hate bull**** stories from civic type kids even more. You either race people that do not know they are racing, or you are full of ****. Do you realize this is like saying you beat a Viper? Your car is NOT superman. Get a grip please, your making this car look REALLY bad.

Originally posted by The Cyndicate
    I hate vettes, but I hate bull**** stories from civic type kids even more. You either race people that do not know they are racing, or you are full of ****. Do you realize this is like saying you beat a Viper? Your car is NOT superman. Get a grip please, your making this car look REALLY bad.
    Beating a C5 is entirely possible. I have beaten plenty, although I have an STi. You do realize there is a different driver behind each wheel, different conditions for each story, right? I would give you the benefit of the doubt but your post tells me not to.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Any time you can get one up on a vette,whatever the reason, it's got to put a smile on your face,nice kill.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Originally posted by renichms
    Warranty voided...haha, funny.

Nice "kill." I'd believe it...bad drivers in fast cars make for not so fast cars.

RN
    Yeah tonight in the middle of town these kids my age were in theyr daddy's 03 Cobra with da rap beats blasting and stalled it int he middle on a crowded intersection. I just pointed and laughed.
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

Ike
    I had almost the exact same sort of race with an M5 Today. I've seen about 3 M5s in the last year so I was shocked to pull up next to one. I was lined up with him at a light and he revved a bit and was creeping foward at the light. I knew there was a stopsigh about 50 feet ahead so I didn't give it much. But we both stopped at the stopsign and I launched while he took off briskly and then tried to play catch up. It was over at about 60mph and we both had to shutdown for another stopsign. I know I'm not in any way hanging with an M5 in most cases but I think I surprised him, or he was just a horrible driver. Sometimes the best part about the WRX is how well you can hang with faster cars from a dig up to moderate speeds
    Last edited by Ike; 03-27-2004 at 03:17 AM.

Thumbs down

Cyndicate- "civic type-kid"
    Are you ignorant to the fact that the WRX is AWD and will beat just about any car in a short sprint to about 40mph. Off the line for him to take 2 carlengths is entirely feasible.

Vette driver was making braking it in still?
    -Andrew

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.