Mazdaspeed MP3 & E36 M3 in the same night.

This is a discussion on Mazdaspeed MP3 & E36 M3 in the same night. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Cruising on the highway after work tonight I notice a new Mazdaspeed Protege pass me on the left. I like ...

Mazdaspeed MP3 & E36 M3 in the same night.

Cruising on the highway after work tonight I notice a new Mazdaspeed Protege pass me on the left. I like the way they look, very subtle but with nice lines, nice rims, etc. This one was silver. I saw it and figured "what the heck" since the road was clear up ahead. I got next to him and threw him a couple revs until he took off. Slipped it into third from about 65-70 and was off. I took it up until 120 or so and let off because he was way back. He then crept up on me again (not sure if he was trying to do a fly-by.) This time he had the momentum because I didnt hit it until he was at my rear quarter panel. He stayed with me until I hit 4th then I was off again. Took it to 120 or so again and he was several cars back. We exchanged thumbs up and he had his wife in the car. She said "we've had it three months" or something to that affect. I assume it was stock.

Next one. I was cruising in the right lane at 65 when I noticed a E36 coming up on my left. He stopped and paced me so I looked. A Laguna Seca (I think that's the name) Blue 2 door E36 M3. Looked really sharp. I dropped it into third and waited to make sure he would run. He did and we were off. Very even in third with him inching on me toward the end. I shifted to fourth and started walking him ever so slowly. My rear bumper may have been 5 feet off his front one. By this time I had to shift to fifth so I slowly slid it into fifth (no way to make a fast shift to fifth.) He started regaining the lead and it looked like he may have shut down when he himself had to shift to fifth (not sure.) We had switched positions. We exchanged thumbs up as well. Not sure of his mods, if any.

FWIW, I was running only 17psi on a "safe tune" done for me by Phil formerly of TurboXS. If I had to guess, I was only making 270-280whp on that map. I dynoed at 300whp on 19psi.

All in all a fun night, two friendly races that were fairly close. Makes me wish I was running 24psi against that M3 though! I'm gonna see if I can find who they were. Anyone know any good Mazdaspeed Protege Boards?
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes, try here: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/index.php?

137,000+ posts!

-snowcat
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

good races...thought u woulda beat the Mazdaspeed by more than that since you kept up so well with a M3.

still good though.
    02 WRX Silver, 03 Baja Yellow

That e36 m3 musta been modded to have kept up with you if your're makin 270-280whp. The stock e36 m3 makes about 220whp stock and weighs a bit more that a stock wrx, so stock he woulda gotten blown away.

Originally posted by wewu
    That e36 m3 musta been modded to have kept up with you if your're makin 270-280whp. The stock e36 m3 makes about 220whp stock and weighs a bit more that a stock wrx, so stock he woulda gotten blown away.
    Well, this was on my most conservative map with 17psi but really makes it feel slow is the retarded timing. This is pretty much my "detonation proof" map. It was made as a very safe daily map. Keep in mind that we didnt dyno this map either so I think that I was overshooting my actual whp by a good margin when I said 270-250whp.

Reason I say this, is that I took the car to the track today with some friends and decided to make a run just to see how slow it really is (it feels really slow to me.) Here's the run:

60': 1.81
    1/8 ET: 8.51
    1/8 MPH: 80.37
    1/4 ET: 13.40
    1/4 MPH: 99.77

I only made one run. You can see the launch was good but there just isnt any power. It feels like the car is in slow-mo. Oh well, I guess that's not too bad for the slowest map. In comparison, I ran a 12.5@109 on my "fast" pump gas map (20psi and more agrressive timing.) If I had to guess I'd say I am only making 220-230whp.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125