WRX vs. 300zx TT
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. 300zx TT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Okay, so I was driving through town and this car pulled even with me and revved his engine. Wasn't sure ...

WRX vs. 300zx TT

Okay, so I was driving through town and this car pulled even with me and revved his engine. Wasn't sure what it was. We were going about 40. I dropped it into 2nd and he took off. I wasn't expecting him to go right away so he had a slight jump on me. Well, he slowly pulled away from me.. and I hit the rev limiter. I shifted into 3rd but didn't get much so I shut it down at about 70. So yeah, I got beat. Even with the missed shift he was only a couple of feet in front of my bumper. Then I saw the back, 300zx...

My AccessEcu may not be working right, I'm not making the amount of boost I should. And I missed a shift. So maybe on a good day I could keep up. It sure caught me by surprise though!
    Former car: 2002 Cobb/Scoobysport stage 2 WRX sedan
    New ride: ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ive pulled z's w/bolt ons and the stock turbo..Never raced one w/a bigger turbo/turbos....work on that shifting, get your car tune fixed, and watch the rpm's and you'll win next time...
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

Good race, you had things stacked against you since you were starting from a roll.
    -Andrew

Shame about that. One of my first kills was a nice modded 300ZXTT owned by a workmate - You can get those things to go pretty fast though and I've seen some cruising around that give me shivers. I tend to prefer the WRX for stealth value, and IMO you can make a rex go faster for cheaper.

Having said that - Ive made the same mistake changing gears after max torque has come and gone. I know better now.

I know it sounds like an excuse, but Cobb says I should be making 16 PSI, and I only hit 13 in 1-3 and 14.5 in 4th and 5th. I'm gonna get accessport and reflash teh computer again.

I should have gone for 3rd- starting at 4k, I'd have plenty of power and a lot more room to accelerate w/o shifting. Plus in 2nd my boost dropped off quick.

I'm going for I/C hoses, race pipe and accessport, then I'd like to have a rematch!

Originally posted by keystah

I'm going for I/C hoses, race pipe and accessport, then I'd like to have a rematch!
    Yup and im sure hes out adding new goodies as well.

It seems that you don't really have to wait till redline to shift in the sti. you could shift 6500 rpm and still maintaint he torque. Don't worry about hitting redline.
    Never stop learning.

Yeah, I usually shift around 6300, no need to go much higher than that since the torque drops off. I really just grabbed the wrong gear.

As far as him modding, its possible, but that car could have been stock too. Some people don't feel the need to keep getting faster. The chances of me running into him again = 1:1000 probably.

IMO theres no way that 300ZX could have been stock to pull on a WRX let alone an STi.

Out of the factory they do a 7 second 0-60.

Twin turbo z's like the one he said he raced are much faster than a 7 second 0-60. I have a friend with a stock NA 300 that runs in the 6's for his 0-60. When I was stock we were even from a roll also.

about cobb...i called them recently and they said something like i woudln't hit 16psi till 4th and 5th gear..idk what's that about...they said 1st -3rd i would hit about 13psi..so i dont think ur car is messed up or whatever.....and also...you would of got owned worst if you started in 3rd...trust me on that one..back to the cobb thing....this might seem off topic....but does anyone think that mbc gives you as much power as cobb??( i set mine to 15-16 1st and 2nd and 3rd..i creep 2 high in 4th and 5th...that's probably only reason i really want cobb stage 2.,but i'm probably gonna lose power 1st-3rd with cobb)

also no shame in losing to a 300zx....i've seen plenty with turbo upgrades hitting mid to high 11's at a local track...those things can be transformed into monster......if you think its impressive hitting 1.7 60ft times with awd.....just watch one of them go anywhere from 1.6 to 1.8 60 ft times(they were on slicks)

overall good race.....i bet if you didn't hit rev you would of been even or took him

Originally posted by archiebrown
    IMO theres no way that 300ZX could have been stock to pull on a WRX let alone an STi.

Out of the factory they do a 7 second 0-60.
    twin turbo Z's are not that slow at all.

back in the day they were known to hit 13's stock
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

stock on stock wrx would lose to a 300zx here are the numbers
    (and 0-60 is not in 7's for 300zx....its under 6 for sure)

http://www.car-videos.com/performanc...?ID1=3&ID2=261

and off a roll a wrx would just get destroyed....but a downpipe and mbc would fix both those problems

also....stock on stock brand new cars 300zx is faster..but consider tear and wear and the fact that no 300zx is brand new anymore

precisely.

I'm thinking about getting a manual boost controller as well. Set it maybe to 15 or 15.5 psi, but hopefully that wouldn't be too much boost in 4th or 5th.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast