WRX Wagon VS German Trio

This is a discussion on WRX Wagon VS German Trio within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey hey, A gentle cruise back from the city late last night turned into a lovely little run for the ...

WRX Wagon VS German Trio

Hey hey,

A gentle cruise back from the city late last night turned into a lovely little run for the MY99 WRX and me.

I was driving out of the Vietnamese area of Melbourne OZ (great food, nice people, many well modded racers) when I look in my rearview mirror to see a set of lowered lights zipping through traffic. I slow down to about 40kmh and wait for him to catch up, more out of curiosity more than anything else.
    As he overtakes I glance across to see a 1999 3 series BMW, skirts, wicked wheels, a big ATI sticker and personalised plates that say MPOWER. (Beautiful car, even with the sticker)
    So Im thinking, "wooo...modded M3"
    With him are two other cars, also looking pretty nice, a black Audi 1.8T and a current shape black BMW 330 CI. All these guys are pretty much ignoring me as I'm in a silver wagon with the only sign Im modded to 280hp is my 4" exhaust tip.
    So I speed up a little and stay with the "M3". The other cars are moving around in the lanes and by the time we all reach the next set of lights Im lined up with the Audi. Its late, theres no-one around and so on green - the Audi launches. I think, No way! By about halfway through second he is two cars behind and Im pulling away quick. Not really a race but a demonstration. I slow halfway through third and get back under the speed limit to see all three of these cars, with the M3 in the front, rushing up behind me. Im thinking, Oh Sh!*, Ive upset the Triads or something. They get in formation beside and behind me, and Im crapping myself . I looked over and where I was expecting a "We're gonna kill you" look there were race faces and smiles, which lightened my mood no end.
    We all do a little mellow - but entertaining driving until we get to the next set of lights.
    This time Im lined up next to the "M3" with the 330CI on the other side of him and the A4 behind me. On green its all on. I dont launch but from a 10kmh roll floor it. I drag in the "M3" and slip by him in about 1/8th of a mile, an easy car and a half in front by the time we slowed. Im now thinking that this is no modded M3 but a 320I faked up - as I expect a true modded M3 would own me seeing as I didnt launch. I didnt see what the 330CI was doing, if he held the gas down much longer than me, but after I shut down I looked up he was 4 cars ahead and flying - ie no brake lights.

From here, we all went our separate ways, the 3 german cars looking sweet in the twilight and the WRX with 2 confirmed kills and a maybe-kinda-possible with the 330CI.

Not a bad 10 minutes in all - though I think I blew my cat in all the comotion - it rattles a tiny bit now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like a wonderful evening of adrenaline and exhaust fumes filling the air... my favorite! Good kills. I hate it when you can't tell if the car is genuine or if its just a poser, but at least you beat them.

280hp to the wheels? that sounds like it would give a m3 a difficult time.

Where exactly did you say u'r from? 99wrx...

nice runs, sounded like fun.

where are you from?
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Re: WRX Wagon VS German Trio

Originally posted by archiebrown

I was driving out of the Vietnamese area of Melbourne OZ
    Stage IV+
    Going for 11's

Re: WRX Wagon VS German Trio

I was driving out of the Vietnamese area of Melbourne OZ
    I read that... just never heard of Melbourne... but lookin around it looks like Australia?

If so, that's pretty cool... they have a little Saigon in Australia? I live in Southern California... the 2nd Saigon. I'm half Vietnamese so maybe one day if I'm ever in Melbourne, I can grab some grub

ReaDign CompRHEnshni Si teh WIN!!!1

Yep, Im from Australia. The WRX has been an icon here for years. Its a pity you guys dont have the pre-2001 WRX's. Over here the 1994 - 1999 WRXs are considered to be the best looking.

Heres an example:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 207687.jpg  

yeah its looks real nice
    if its not fast it better be a show car

Originally posted by PKer
    ReaDign CompRHEnshni Si teh WIN!!!1
    Don't be an A$$... it's obvious by my response that I read his post. I was unclear as to where Melbourne was.

Originally posted by 03WREX
    Don't be an A$$... it's obvious by my response that I read his post. I was unclear as to where Melbourne was.
    Don't bypass the swear filter I'm telling. J/K
    But seriously you've never heard of Melbourne? It's the second biggest city in Australia.
    BTW: Don't take it personally you weren't the only one that had to ask where the dude was from.

Over here the 1994 - 1999 WRXs are considered to be the best looking.
    Agreed. Also the best handling.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nice Rex. Have you ever run it in the quarter mile?
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

I really want one of the older ones. Maybe I should just wash mine someday, it would look better then. Or actually put in that damned uppipe I gutted.

Good story though.
    -Andrew

Originally posted by josnroh
    Nice Rex. Have you ever run it in the quarter mile?
    That one is not mine (it is for sale over here tho) - I have a silver wagon of the same shape with a different body kit. I think mine looks a bit sweeter and is a bit faster but Im biased. (Photos soon)
    I'm a pretty crap driver at the launch, but should I get it right the car should - by all accounts - do a mid to high 13s quarter. Luckily on the street the power of my Rex makes up for the fact I dont use the AWD that well out of the dig. Practice makes perfect though.

In a couple of weeks when I get the Cat fixed Im going to take it to the track and have a crack at getting it under 13.9.

As to those who dont know where Melbourne is, thats pretty understandable. I once had a beer with a US Serviceman who was over here and he didnt know where Australia was on a map. Just goes to show you know what you know and dont what you dont.