WRX vs. LS1 Firebird
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. LS1 Firebird within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I left work around 10:30 PM on Saturday night, and after filling up at the Sunoco next door, I pulled ...

I Support ClubWRX

WRX vs. LS1 Firebird

I left work around 10:30 PM on Saturday night, and after filling up at the Sunoco next door, I pulled onto the 4 lane highway, just in time to be passed by a sweet black LS1 Firebird that was labeled, "Collector's Edition."

I went WOT and passed him, and moved in front of him into the fast lane, as the light turned yellow up ahead. I wasn't sure if he'd play, but I went for it when the light turned green. He stayed right on my tail through 1st and 2nd, but in 3rd I started putting some distance on him. I shifted into 4th and let off at 125 mph, w/him a good 5 car lengths back, although I didnt' think I pulled any more ground after shifting into 4th.

I thought it was funny when we pulled up to a light and the driver jokingly hid his eyes in shame while his passenger was like, what the hell is in that thing? I laughed and told them they make some pretty mean 4 cylinders now-adays, and told him it has an upgraded turbo. I looked down at the "Collector's Edition" label, and asked the driver, "So, what does Collector's Edition mean?" He said, "Apparently not much."

Overall, I was surprised what good sports they were about losing, and the new-found respect they gave to the WRX. I'm sure they'll think twice next time they see one.

Edit: I didn't tell them that I also was lugging an extra 300 lbs of cargo in my trunk and rear seats (I just moved, and am still using most of my cars for storage until I finish unpacking, lol)

Mark
    Last edited by annointed; 03-22-2004 at 12:00 PM.
    "Don't hate me because my Impreza's beautiful"
    -04 FXT 20g'd 343 whp
    -04 FXT 35r/6mt 430 whp 11.6@118 on 93 oct
    -95 NSX SC'd 450 whp
    -70 Chevelle SS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

maybe your brain left too...walking in the opposite direction?
    '04 PSM STi - modded (sr50+the works)
    '05 JGM RSX Type-S - stock

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by happasaiyan
    maybe your brain left too...walking in the opposite direction?
    lol...I'm on my parent's computer, and wanted to post the partial message to make sure that it will post (it won't on nasioc) since this machine doesn't allow cookies.

The rest of the story is now posted for your reading pleasure...although my brain was quite tired from a full day at the office, followed by several hours of tutoring some of my SAT students, so who knows what direction is was going Sat night...
    Last edited by annointed; 03-22-2004 at 11:57 AM.
    -04 FXT 20g'd 343 whp
    -95 NSX SC'd 450 whp
    -70 Chevelle SS

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    Wow . . . you beat an LS1 Firebird (Formula? Firebirds have never had LS1s) by five car lengths to 125. LS1s trap around 105-108mph stock, so you must be trapping significantly higher to have gotten him by five car lengths at 125. I guess the 18G is much, much more potent than I thought it was.

Thumbs up

Good job on keeping him in your mirror. The "Collector's Edition" badge merely indicates it was a 2002 "Last of the Breed" Firebird Formula or TransAm.

And, yes, some of us LS1 owners appreciate performance cars from overseas too, and will humbly accept defeat the few times that it happens.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

You should say "modded WRX vs LS1" because if you were stock, it wouldnt have been pretty.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    And, yes, some of us LS1 owners appreciate performance cars from overseas too, and will humbly accept defeat the few times that it happens.
    lol...I know LS1's pretty well, considering my two roommates drive an '01 SS Camaro (exhaust mods only), and a '99 Z28 (cammed, exhaust, etc...~380 whp)...I've driven them, and my God, the low end torque is ungodly!!! I love the instant throttle response! But spinning through 2nd and 3rd kinda sucks...I definitely need to add a V8 to my collection though...when I can afford my 7th car, I think I'll get an LS1
    Last edited by annointed; 03-22-2004 at 12:30 PM.
    -04 FXT 20g'd 343 whp
    -95 NSX SC'd 450 whp
    -70 Chevelle SS

Originally posted by zoophagy
    Wow . . . you beat an LS1 Firebird (Formula? Firebirds have never had LS1s) by five car lengths to 125. LS1s trap around 105-108mph stock, so you must be trapping significantly higher to have gotten him by five car lengths at 125. I guess the 18G is much, much more potent than I thought it was.
    FYI on GM's model designation: All TransAms and Formulas are Firebirds (all SS's and Z28's are Camaros, too). Just like all WRX's and STi's are Imprezas. The Formula actually reads Firebird on the back panel between the tail lights just like the base Firebird V6, despite packing an LS1 under the hood. There is also a discreet body colored badge on the doors that is difficult to read that says Formula and is usually the only visual clue that it's an LS1 and not a V6.

And 5 car lengths is entirely believable from my perspective. The LS1 had to start from behind (1-2 car lengths), and would not have been able to launch at the same time either (unless the driver is willing to risk rearending the guy in front). A mere 1/2 second reaction time difference is generally equivalent to 5 car lengths at the end of a 1/4 mile for cars trapping in the 100 mph range. Had they gone side by side with an even launch, it would have been closer, and difficult to predict who would be in front...

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by EVOVIII
    You should say "modded WRX vs LS1" because if you were stock, it wouldnt have been pretty.
    lol...I didn't realize there was an etiquitte of titling posts here, my bad. I have no idea what mods he had (probably just exhaust).

My car is indeed heavily modified, considering its doubling the stock whp. But they don't need to know that. Alright, enough playing, I'm back to work, now.
    -04 FXT 20g'd 343 whp
    -95 NSX SC'd 450 whp
    -70 Chevelle SS

Originally posted by EVOVIII
    Theres always someone who has to say something like that if, coulda, woulda, shoulda but he didn't so good kill. This isn't the bracket racing forum.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    FYI on GM's model designation: All TransAms and Formulas are Firebirds (all SS's and Z28's are Camaros, too). Just like all WRX's and STi's are Imprezas. The Formula actually reads Firebird on the back panel between the tail lights just like the base Firebird V6, despite packing an LS1 under the hood. There is also a discreet body colored badge on the doors that is difficult to read that says Formula and is usually the only visual clue that it's an LS1 and not a V6.

And 5 car lengths is entirely believable from my perspective. The LS1 had to start from behind (1-2 car lengths), and would not have been able to launch at the same time either (unless the driver is willing to risk rearending the guy in front). A mere 1/2 second reaction time difference is generally equivalent to 5 car lengths at the end of a 1/4 mile for cars trapping in the 100 mph range. Had they gone side by side with an even launch, it would have been closer, and difficult to predict who would be in front...
    I'm aware of the fact that all Formulae and Trans Ams are Firebirds, as I have owned both a Firebird and a Trans Am in the past, and I will be buying another one in a matter of weeks. I should have written that "no base level" Firebirds have ever come with LS1s. I only said this because his calling it a Firebird rather than a Formula or Trans Am seems as odd as calling a WRX or STi simply an Impreza.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what happened in the race, but it reads to me like both the WRX and the Firebird went from a stop at the light. The WRX pulled so that the Firebird was at the WRX's rear bumper and held there through first and second gear (which would have been around 67mph). It was through third and fourth gear that the WRX began putting serious car lengths on the Firebird. Reaction time, then, was not a factor. This just seemed odd to me because it would seems as if the WRX should pull hard on the launch and the Firebird would start coming back by third and fourth gear. I am not calling BS because I know the WRX in question has more horsepower than the LS1 in question if it were stock. The way the race went just seems strange to me. I was not aware of the fact that an 18G would make a WRX that much faster on the top end.
    Last edited by zoophagy; 03-22-2004 at 03:52 PM.

Originally posted by annointed
    lol...I didn't realize there was an etiquitte of titling posts here, my bad. I have no idea what mods he had (probably just exhaust).

My car is indeed heavily modified, considering its doubling the stock whp. But they don't need to know that. Alright, enough playing, I'm back to work, now.
    Just curious, have you had any problems with the tranny at those power levels? What rpm do you launch at? Any time slips?

Also, an LSI vs. a stock Evo VIII wouldnt be very pretty, either. So whats the point?
    New:
    2005 Electric Blue Lancer Evo VIII

Traded:
    Platinum Silver 02 WRX
    TurboXS stage2

Zoop:
    At least we know it had an LS1. Cool to hear that you're an F-body fan too, so you know the whole shakedown. Hope you didn't find me to be insulting. On these forums, you can't assume anybody knows anything sometimes. Maybe it'll be useful info for somebody else, then.

From reading his description, I thought they were lined up front to back at the light, with the LS1 behind the WRX at the light "...and moved in front of him into the fast lane as the light turned yellow up ahead..." and "...he stayed right on my tail through 1st and 2nd..." So maybe Annointed could clear that up if it started off side by side, or with him in front.

And a 2.73 geared automatic LS1 that's basically stock won't have as much top end pull as a 3.23 geared automatic, and significantly less top end than a 6 speed 3.42 car. A 5 mph difference in trap speeds between stock LS1's isn't uncommon depending on that rear end, so I can see an 18G pulling away from one type of stock LS1, and holding even or possibly falling back with another stock LS1 at higher speeds.

In any case, the WRX more than held it's ground in this particular battle.

Don't worry. I wasn't offended.

I think you're right. I just assumed that the Firebird was in the right lane and was passed by the WRX in the left lane, which would make them even at the line when the light went green, but rereading it several times, I think you're correct. The Firebird was in the left lane, passed the WRX, was passed by the WRX, and, finally, ended up behind the WRX in the left lane at the light.

I also didn't disagree that the WRX would've pulled (not that I think you thought that I did), I just thought 5 car lengths was a little excessive, but I guess it's possible.

I wouldn't really consider something racing, though, if someone were behind me at a light.

Good kill nevertheless.

with 326 whp/320 ft-lbs you should be trappin 110mph at least!(some people trap that with a vf34) which i can see walking a stock ls1 nicely! good race can't wait to get my 18g!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.