WRX vs. LS1 Firebird - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on WRX vs. LS1 Firebird within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; With about 300hp I was able to pace a formula on the highway to about 110 (that was with my ...

I Support ClubWRX
    With about 300hp I was able to pace a formula on the highway to about 110 (that was with my vf34). This sounds totally believeable. Nice kill and super nice car! Sounds fast as hell!
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've seen people trap 118 mph with an 18g.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    Originally posted by ilivas
    I've seen people trap 118 mph with an 18g.
    Damn, what was the ET? Mid/high 11s? It couldn't have been on pump gas or with the stock tranny, right? Was the engine built?

I believe it was 12.4@118mph with really bad driving. It was some guy on nasioc. The car was tuned by turboxs.
    Mods

Stock motor with undersized injectors (Sti injectors)
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    Indeed, the Firebird was BEHIND me at the first light. I did not launch aggressively at all (I rarely do on the street, I prefer the come-from behind, unless I know I'm gunning head to head against something that requires a drag style launch...such as an LS1, actually).

He was literally a carlength behind me through 1st, and looked like he wanted to jump into the right lane and blow by me...Even in 2nd, he was pretty close to my ass. 3rd I opened him up quite a bit, but in 4th his headlights stayed the same distance behind, more or less.

I too wanted a fair race w/him NEXT to me, which is why I was excited when he was right next to me at two lights afterwards, but he didn't want to race again, after seeing me pull away. We talked at each light, as his passenger was pretty interested in my set-up. One comment they made (probably to save face) after asking if mine was a 5 speed, was that they were "only" in 4th gear when we let off at 120+ mph...I appeased him by aggreeing that his car was surely geared for greater top end speeds than me.

As far as my set-up goes, I run 21 psi daily on my 18g, and compared to the vf30 I used to have, I appreciate how hits HARD and stays violent all the way to redline.

I also demolished the stock gears in December, shortly after my dyno tune (Ironically I was racing a stock STi on the same stretch of road that night when my gears finally gave out (the stockers gave me 83k miles, so I can't complain, lol) So it also helps that I'm running closer ratio RA gears now

I know, I know, the more I say, the less and less fair the "race" becomes.

Mark
    "Don't hate me because my Impreza's beautiful"
    -04 FXT 20g'd 343 whp
    -04 FXT 35r/6mt 430 whp 11.6@118 on 93 oct
    -95 NSX SC'd 450 whp
    -70 Chevelle SS

Thumbs up

Fair? Who cares... LOL Run whatchya brung and whatever gets you across the line first is all that counts. Thanks for the good story and explanation.

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    Fair? Who cares... LOL Run whatchya brung and whatever gets you across the line first is all that counts. Thanks for the good story and explanation.
    w3rd!
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Good job, I also call formulas (Firebird Formulas) thats what they are. Just as a Z28 is a (Camaro Z28) its still a camaro.

I can easily see you beating him by that many. With my Stage 4 , 02 WRX, I beat more than my share of LS1's from a roll. My fastest 1/4 mile time was 12.7 @ 108 mph. That was more than fast enough to show them my tail lights.

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    If only everyone in the world thought that way.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

are those RA gears good for your setup? I mean,
    does the RA support your HP/torque setup?

Looks like the RA is something I will look into if you
    say that they seem to work for you.

Any doubts and problems with the RA gears from your experience?
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have no worries about the RA gears. MRT quotes them as 30% stronger than stock USDM WRX gears. So for example, if one accepts 300 ft-lbs to be the limit for stock gears, RA gears would be reliable to 390 ft-lbs.

Rallispec also sends out their RA gears to be cyro treated, so who knows how much stronger they actually become. The fact that the only RA gearset breakage they've had in dozens of installs was apparently a 600 whp Impreza in Puerto Rico reassures me.

Once my motor gives out (I'm pushing 90k miles w/no signs or issues), I'm planning to do an EJ25 STi shortblock, headwork, cams, and get the turbo upgraded to a Green...then the RA gears may not be sufficient for that 400+ whp set-up...its hard to say, honestly. But for now, I have no worries.

And the short gearing is the h0tness!
    "Don't hate me because my Impreza's beautiful"
    -04 FXT 20g'd 343 whp
    -04 FXT 35r/6mt 430 whp 11.6@118 on 93 oct
    -95 NSX SC'd 450 whp
    -70 Chevelle SS

Originally posted by annointed
    I have no worries about the RA gears. MRT quotes them as 30% stronger than stock USDM WRX gears. So for example, if one accepts 300 ft-lbs to be the limit for stock gears, RA gears would be reliable to 390 ft-lbs.

Rallispec also sends out their RA gears to be cyro treated, so who knows how much stronger they actually become. The fact that the only RA gearset breakage they've had in dozens of installs was apparently a 600 whp Impreza in Puerto Rico reassures me.
    Dammit, I thought I was going to finish up my WRX soon, thanks for tacking on about $2200 (parts/labor/etc) to my list
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12