So what defines "Street legal"? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on So what defines "Street legal"? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by 302@12psi In many states anything older then 30 years old is exempt from emssions. I find that ...

Originally posted by 302@12psi
    In many states anything older then 30 years old is exempt from emssions. I find that keeping with emissions is probaly the hardest part of being "street legal". That is where most of the "street rods" get away with it because they dont have emsissions so all is fair game.

Here in MD we have a few tags that help you out also, like street rod tags hot rod tags...and farm eqiupment. If you can prove your car is one of these you dont have emissions and really almost anything can go. I've seen a Pro Street drag car driving down the road in OC MD at there yearly car show...they thing didnt even have headlights...but it was tagg'd and none of the cops stopped him.

Like many things that define "legal" it comes down to your attitude. If your a prick the cop can take out his handy dandy book and throw it at you. Most of the time unless they are gunning for you they dont care.

But if your in a "street legal" class it basicaly has to be stock. The OBD-II plug, cats and 02 (only if damagded by a defective cat) are covered under the federal emissions law for 8 years or 80,000 miles. So tampering with these can viod your warrnaty and be expensive...hence not street legal. It's a very fine line.

In order to go by the book it would be very hard to make something quick and legal unless it's like a z06 or something.

On a side note my thinking of street legal is anything that can be driven on the street, you can run pump gas in it, it doesnt over heat, you can launch hard on street tires, you would be able to drive it in the rain, and my GF can push the clutch in. Call my crazy but I think those are good guidelines.

maybe that is why i never go threw emisions farm tags rule hah. its good to live on a "farM" i guess
    if its not fast it better be a show car

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What they don`t know won`t hurt them. As long as it has an inspection sticker/emission, its street legal in my book

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12