STi vs Mazdaspeed
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi vs Mazdaspeed within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; By all means this one should be a wash out, but it turns this Mazdaspeed has been heavily moded, running ...

Exclamation STi vs Mazdaspeed

By all means this one should be a wash out, but it turns this Mazdaspeed has been heavily moded, running 15psi with 110 octane gas, aftermarket front mount intercooler, fuel cutoff defender, completely open exhaust and some secret tuning box (he wouldnt comment).

We raced from a 20mph roll, I'am still getting used to the STi and unfortunately hit the fuel cut off, twice. So chalk this one down to driver incompetency. I'am getting acquainted with the shifting and take off for the next battle. My problem was that the shifting light and sound are so small that I didnt even noticed them, also with the window down I couldnt hear the engine sound.

What can I do about the fuel cut off, and what can I do to raise the boost. Is the STi boost controlled by the computer or can it be regulated by a ebc?

Oh well, better shifting next time.

Here is the link at the Protege forum http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56824

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: STi vs Mazdaspeed

Originally posted by Pirana
    By all means this one should be a wash out, but it turns this Mazdaspeed has been heavily moded, running 15psi with 110 octane gas, aftermarket front mount intercooler, fuel cutoff defender, completely open exhaust and some secret tuning box (he wouldnt comment).

We raced from a 20mph roll, I'am still getting used to the STi and unfortunately hit the fuel cut off, twice. So chalk this one down to driver incompetency. I'am getting acquainted with the shifting and take off for the next battle. My problem was that the shifting light and sound are so small that I didnt even noticed them, also with the window down I couldnt hear the engine sound.

What can I do about the fuel cut off, and what can I do to raise the boost. Is the STi boost controlled by the computer or can it be regulated by a ebc?

Oh well, better shifting next time.

Here is the link at the Protege forum http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56824
    Without even clicking the link, I know you raced DiscreetSpeed. He is on our forum a lot and he is the only one I know of that has a quick MSP. He is a good driver and that car is tuned well. He is in the process of putting some forged internals in that beast.
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i [Bone Stock]
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 [303 hp/323 tq] - SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    I didn't think you could boost the fs-de over 7psi without ripping the block apart and going all forged!! That car must be an animal... although torque steer must be a *****!

Nice Death...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

The Mazda block can handle up to 15psi but that's about the limit of that engine. It's the ECU and fuel pressure that become a problem over 8 psi. The fuel supply is a relatively easy fix (injectors, fuel rail & pump) but the ECU is a much more expensive problem to fix. I assuem he's running a Links ECU - about a $1,700 piece for a Maita.

I Support ClubWRX
    ahhhhh ok... I didn't realize it was a fueling issue! Very cool. Sounds like an impressive setup!
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Yeah it was Discreet. I'am still an active member of the Mazda forum. We did a Texas meet and since I used to have a boosted P5 before the STi, I met with them. I would have loved another chance, but he didnt want to. Like a wise man onced said "A win is a win no matter if is by a mile or a foot" hehehe

Vic

Here is a pic of my previous set up, 240whp at 12psi.

Damn if that isn't a kick ass engine bay!!

I am following the same theme as you did with the Mazda. My SRT-4 is Solar Yellow and the engine bay is (or will be) chrome/red.

From a roll, Discreet had no chance with this P5!

From a roll, Discreet had no chance with this P5!
    Should I ask what happened to the P5?

Went back to stock so I could get an STi.

Here is the continuating debate and updated BS on this story...

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showt...1&page=1&pp=30

Re: STi vs Mazdaspeed

My problem was that the shifting light and sound are so small that I didnt even noticed them, also with the window down I couldnt hear the engine sound.
    I had a problem adjusting to shift speed too. I set my shift light to like 6000 rpm's, that way when you really need it in 1st and 2nd you can have time to react to it. Then in the higher gears, you can use it as cue to glance at the tach and time your shift.

My car's going to be getting signifigantly faster very soon....I'm figuring it will be another adjustment period again. I think the 7700 rpm rev limit will help too...hehe.

Kevin

How fast is Discreet's car? 1/4 time? whp?

Nobody knows he is very tight lip about what he has done. Pretty soon we will take it to the track and have a safe and level playing field. His car is fast, but I really think without my 2 mis-shifts I would have come on top.

Bil
    Crap, if I were in Huston, I'd run him with my little WRX. I've not seen a p5 yet around here...thanks for the site link, they look like sweet cars. I'm gonna investigate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.