What are the WRX's closest competitiors??? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on What are the WRX's closest competitiors??? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; If the mod WRX is give these other car owners such anxiety, then I really feel sorry for them when ...

If the mod WRX is give these other car owners such anxiety, then I really feel sorry for them when the really bad a** STI version of the Impreza WRX and the EVO VII or VIII version of the Lancer gets here. Cause ppl will start putting mods in them, and only God knows how fast they could get
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by WRXrumble
    If the mod WRX is give these other car owners such anxiety, then I really feel sorry for them when the really bad a** STI version of the Impreza WRX and the EVO VII or VIII version of the Lancer gets here. Cause ppl will start putting mods in them, and only God knows how fast they could get
    Dan knows how fast they could get?
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Vice President and Editorial Manager, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 15 Audi S3 "Ella" | 2010 A4 (traded in) | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

Registered User Quantum-Racing.com's Avatar
    I've heard of some street legal 9 second DSM's. How does that sound? They are heavier than the Lancer, BTW.
    www.Quantum-Racing.com
    Home of the Dynapack AWD Dyno
    Sales Email, Tech Email

Top speed my a$$

Originally posted by pakloek
    The new neon srt-4 that is coming out should be a close competitor. Its priced at 19,995 and has a 0-60 of 4.9 seconds (i think) and a top speed of 184 miles an hour. Although no 1/4 mile times are known, it should be close and with the 5 thousand dollar price difference who knows? You dont really know if it will show the modability (is that a word?) that the wrx has.
    (cough cough) 184 mph top speed??? (cough cough)

Puh-leeese... that would put it among the fastest cars in the US... a more appropriate top end for that car is about 140, give or take a few mph...

Originally posted by Verdugo

RSXs tend to be good competition as well, especially given the close price range too. Sure, they lack the AWD, but the Type S's pack a punch in the top end and many times it can come down to the driver stock for stock. If an RSX Type R comes out here...watch out!

i test drove a type s while i was car shopping couple months ago, and ive never had an easier time shifting and/or launching. even though the steering was a bit stiff i would think a novice to an average driver would find racing a type r a tad bit easier than the rex.

riceboy vs riceboy, the type s would squeal out while the rex driver misses 2nd and stalls the car.

all depends on the driver

Everytime I see a pic of the WRX I like it more and more. I am contemplating trading in my '99 Accord V6 coupe for one. The Accord is a very nice car, but I am really into the performance aspect and the Accord has limitations unless you have ALOT of dough. The WRX just sounds like it is more fun to drive.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

well, RSX S is not THAT slow. If you don't run your best against one, there might be a really good chance that you might lose.

You guys are completley forgetting the F-body's. $25k and 12 second timeslips.. yessir!

LS1's and even older LT1's will have no problem with a stock WRX, a modded WRX will give an LS1 a good run, but you'd better open up the turbo or it'll still have you on the top side (if you really KNOW LS1's, then I don't have to explain the disgusting top-end those beasts have), LT1's on the other hand are less beastly on the upper-end, but still have insane low and mid range pull...

WRX is a tough act to follow, but make no mistake, I can think of a few cars for less or equal $$ that'll knock your socks off
    Dave
    98 Civic EX
    99 Integra GS-R
    www.makuragi.s5.com

it also depends on what category your are talking about.. It has one set of competitiors in 1/4 while a different set in Road courses. IF you look at the package as a whole, it narrows the field down quite a bit.

The WRX and S4 are complete comparable. The S4 is definitely got the interior advantage. But if you don't care about that the stats are pretty consistent. 60mph< the WRX will pull on the S4, above that and the S4 starts to REALLY pull on the WRX. I have to say though, the WRX handles WAY better than the S4. The Audi is much more front heavy. Dive and roll is pretty bad. The S4 is an Autobahn monster.

But boy do I miss the Boss stereo. Though, I had the rear left speaker blow out TWICE...

The F-body? Depends on what you want. I don't think the WRX will ever be a drag-monster. You can make it fast, but it looks REALLY expensive to me. But on handling I don't think the f-bodies would ever be as good as the WRX with the same money. Really depends on what you want.

Drag - long, strait, flat
    AutoX - low, short, wide, AWD
    Last edited by wrxbone; 10-01-2002 at 09:54 AM.
    2001 Audi S4 - Silver
    2002 Subaru WRX - Midnight Black
    2000 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow
    1997 Dodge Intrepid ES - Black
    1991 Ford Taurus SHO - Hunter Green
    [No car below 200HP here!]

i believe i had a post on what the WRX is faster then stock to give ya an idea, il run a search for it
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

heres a link: Stock Wrx>?

gotta go to class ill put some more info on this thread lata

Peter North > *

Originally posted by pakloek
    The new neon srt-4 that is coming out should be a close competitor. Its priced at 19,995 and has a 0-60 of 4.9 seconds (i think) and a top speed of 184 miles an hour. Although no 1/4 mile times are known, it should be close and with the 5 thousand dollar price difference who knows? You dont really know if it will show the modability (is that a word?) that the wrx has.

top speed of 184.... doubt it

Peter North > *

I think that was suppose to be 148....

BTW, this thread came back from the dead.

hey all

Just wanted to chime in way to late

The A4 is a good premium competitor to the WRX if you figure both of them as good modifiable platforms. Stock there is no context as the WRX is far more sporting in nature, but both engine respond well to boost...the VW 1.8T can handle 25+ psi with stock internals...my Garrett T28 turbo peaks at ~23psi and spikes at 26 psi at times....and the engine can take more The difference here is that your lower level kits exceed the only lower level kit an A4 has, which is the measly KO4 turbo developing ~240hp/250 ft-lb torque. The OEM manifold is simply extremely restrictive, and only a KO3 and KO4 will bolt up.

To illustrate, my T28 A4 walked a BMW E46 M3 repeatedly from 50-100mph, he was alone, i was with my GF and her luggage in the car. My T28 A4 walked a Stage 2 S4 (that would be chip + exhaust which is worth about 320hp/360 ft-lb torque). After i have 100k on my car, i will have the engine turned into a 2.0L with forged internals that will be able to develop 300-350hp on pump gas. The 1.8 started life as a diesel block, and damned if it isn't tough as nails.

The S4 is an expensive premium (premium even for Audi) sedan. Despite its abilities, its not designed as a sports sedan, but rather, a sporty premium sedan. It is not much of a handler with piss poor handling. Comparing a 24k car (WRX) and a 40k car (S4) feels nice, but isn't really accurate, when an SIII (PES or APR)A4 can exceed anything but a Stage III S4 (that would be the RS4 turbo kit). Finally, there is always Stage IV (the built 2.0L)

Put another way, looking at the Stage III kits for the WRX, they are worth about 310hp. The Stage III equivalent kits for the A4 are 3400 (PES) and 4000 (APR). These kits develop ~300hp, and in the PES case, that is with the stock cat and stock exhaust, which are huge restrictors. So, the kits for the WRX and A4 are fairly similar in output.

Cheers,
    Sameer
    99.5 A4 1.8T28
    P.E.S. T28 Turbo Kit, Racetec Z-Flo FMIC, 1/8 Test Pipe w/Milltek Exhaust, Vortrag Hypercoil Springs over Bilstein Sports (450lb/500lb), W.O.A. Stage II Clutch, Racetec 4-pt Strut Brace, A.W.E. A Pillar Boost Gauge, Bailey BPV, Valeo E-Codes w/ Phillips 5300K H.I.D., APR Snubbie, Strat cartridge SSK, S4 Vented Wheel Liner, Brembo Rotors w/ Hawk HPS Pads(F)/EBC Greens(R), Denso Iridium IK-22's, Hella Supertones, O.Z. 17" SL's w/ Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's, Alpine CDA-7894, MB Quart QSD 213, Rockford Fosgate 501.1bd, Alpine SWR-1241D, P.P.I. A.400, 35% Llumar Charcoal tint, UUC RKII, RS-4 Grille.
    "Building boost, breakin hearts"

94 Miata C Package (a.k.a. Nougat)
    Flying Miata's FM2 intercooled GT28 turbo kit, Shiv fuel rail, AEM wideband O2, FM turbo exhaust, R.S. Aizawa Slash Intake Lid, KYB AGX's, HDHCDD 4-Point rollbar, FM NA clutch, FM F+R swaybars, Hella E-Code H4 Conversions, CRI Fogs, CRI Air Horns, Lewis Lumbars, Momo Monte Carlo, Rota Circuit 8's 15" with Toyo T1-S's, Pioneer Premier DEH-P440 with Infiniti Kappas 6 1/2 (doors), Infiniti Kappas 3 1/2 (headrests), some chrome bits, Voodoo.
    "It's not how fast you go, its how little you slow down...but 9.5hp/lb helps!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.