Cobb stg2 WRX Vs. EVO w/intake
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cobb stg2 WRX Vs. EVO w/intake within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok first things first, I am Cobb stage 2 w/uppipe and IC hoses stock midpipe, and tanabe catback. EVO w/intake. ...

Cobb stg2 WRX Vs. EVO w/intake

Ok first things first, I am Cobb stage 2 w/uppipe and IC hoses stock midpipe, and tanabe catback.
    EVO w/intake. I have heard intakes free up lots of power in EVO's so I was expecting to get beat bad.
    Two little short races from 1st gear roll to 3rd EVO gets jump by I would say 3 or 4 feet. stays there and I slowly real it in and gain maybe 2 or three feet on him. 2nd run I didnt start in 1st and I think the EVO may have so he put a car length on me pretty quicly (by car length I mean his rear bumper at my front bumper and stays there slowly and I mean "slowly" inching. Pretty boring but I had a little scare at the end of the 2nd little race I was going to shift from 3rd to 4th and hit 2nd instead (probably the dumbest thing I have ever done, and saw the RPM's jump to 9K!!!!! awwww!!! my poor motor, I pressed the clutch in right away so I am thinking I may have gotten away with it, drove the car another 10 miles or so and everything seemed fine, even got out and listened to it while it was runing with the hood up and everything sounded fine. Car still pulls hard and sounds fine doing it. (crosses fingers and hopes everything is indeed ok). Just wanted to share my run in, and im not claiming I beat the EVO just a pretty even match up and I gave the EVO a run for its money.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Believe it or NOT, just adding an intake and NOTHING else to an Evo will actually take away WHP. The good old MAF reads more then usual air commining in, the car sees this, thinks the boost iz too high, and yanks it back even more, so the car loses power. If he gets a boost controller and sets it to 19PSI, watch out, they pull back to 16 Or less in stock form, but that was fixed teh 1st day I got my evo.
    Don't believe the life you have
    Will be the only one
    You have to let your body sleep
    To let your soul live on

2006 Evo IX MR

You should be able to beat a stock evo with your set-up, but it would be pretty close.

If we only had a 16g
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

Nice race... I was hoping the Cobb stage 2 would be able to pull a little on a basically stock evo. I'll be getting the accessport pretty soon but I'll only be a stage 1, at least for the time being

I definitely need some redemption against the evo... I had a race w/ one a few weeks ago and he killed me. It wasn't quite stock though... all I could see was an exhaust but I'll just assume he had more to make me feel better

Dude - I hope you're kidding about revving your motor to 9K. I would have a compression test done if you have not already done so. No way the stock WRX valvetrain can handle that.

Jimbo
    2003 PSM Wagon - VF34; STi 565cc Injectors; ScoobySport turboback with Prodrive muffler; STi catless uppipe; Cobb AccessPort; Samco IC hoses; 17" Steel Gray Rota Attacks with Sumitomo HTR ZIIs; Prodrive springs, sedan rear sway

Originally posted by Jimbo
    Dude - I hope you're kidding about revving your motor to 9K. I would have a compression test done if you have not already done so. No way the stock WRX valvetrain can handle that.

Jimbo
    No im not kidding, by far the dumbest thing I have done in a long time, thats why I never street race, damn! Anyway the motor seems to be fine, just as strong as it was before, no strange noises, no CEL, no hesitation, idle is fine, boost is fine, vacuum is normal. Dropped it by the dealer and they said everything is normal. So im safe thats my one slip up I guess.

My friend revved his motor to 9k, oh wait it's an S2000 and it red lines at 9k, my bad

He did blow up his engine though when he did the same thing as you and it revved to what the dealer said "14k rpms" here's a pic....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bush\'s mistake.jpg  
    2002 SRP WRX Sold .......i need another wrx
    13.3 @99mph with a mbc

03 Honda Element
    1992 Civic hb W/B20 SOLD

Originally posted by wrxspins4
    My friend revved his motor to 9k, oh wait it's an S2000 and it red lines at 9k, my bad

He did blow up his engine though when he did the same thing as you and it revved to what the dealer said "14k rpms" here's a pic....
    yeah I dont think my rex would have made it home if my motor looked like that, ouch!

I used to always think to myself having owned a Celica GTS before this car that I had schooled myself enough not to make stupid mistakes like this but... oh well its done, if the motor blows in a couple thousand miles ill just have to put in a axis stage 2 motor! shucks! The motor is fine damnit I know it, "strong like bull"!!

(sits and prays that this doesnt happen because I dont have enough money for axis stage 2 motor)

i raced an evo from a stop, my mods are hks downpipe, catback, and a lightened crank pulley, he had about a car and half at 80, but my AP comes tomorrow!
    "Mike, stop spending money on your car.."

Quote Originally Posted by CUBUFF
    Pretty boring but I had a little scare at the end of the 2nd little race I was going to shift from 3rd to 4th and hit 2nd instead (probably the dumbest thing I have ever done

I'm guessing you shifted like this right? Or had your palm resting on top of the shift knob. This is fine during normal driving, but under hard or fast shifting, mistakes can happen:

Try shifting like this next time u go from 3 to 4. It's easy and almost mistake-proof:

Or the alternate method, although I don't use it much:

Last edited by TurnWRX; 09-16-2004 at 07:12 PM.

nice pictures...haha...definitely got the point thru but i thought it was kinda funny
    04 PSM WRX Wgn
    now feat. GREENIES

Quote Originally Posted by wrxspins4
    That dirty Mexican...Ralfi

Quote Originally Posted by wrxspins4
    Who's engine?

Are those pajama pants? Are they pink striped?

Quote Originally Posted by jvic

Quote Originally Posted by jvic

lol yes those are pj's And no they aren't pink. It's brown. Faded, but brown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.