WRX Vs. Accord(*almost* an accident)

This is a discussion on WRX Vs. Accord(*almost* an accident) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I finally decided to bite the bullet and get a copy of Battlefield Vietnam, see what the hub-bub was all ...

WRX Vs. Accord(*almost* an accident)

I finally decided to bite the bullet and get a copy of Battlefield Vietnam, see what the hub-bub was all about.

Herd dogs inside, check to make sure the dryer is off, and away I go. I live in the sticks, a trip to anyplace that carries PC games is about and hour roundtrip. Three main roads, highway 110(Pisgah Rd.), then U.S. 19&23(3 lanes, passing lane switches back and forth) and I40, to the bustling metropolis of Asheville NC.

Well today on 19&23 about got run the **** over by a 199X model accord. The driver was not paying attention in the least, kinda weaving a bit, and varying speed from 40-65 mph. I was following a 328i, which was directly behind the accord. So when a passing zone popped up, the 328 and myself jumped on the throttle and buzzed by the weaving accord and put a good 1/8th mile on the car....

Now it gets interesting. Seems a Harley rider ditched his hog in a curve. Two firetrucks and an ambulance had one side of the road blocked. The 328 slows down, as do I. My brain told me to look back, the accord WAS NOT slowing, not at all. Panic time! The cops had the road blocked, the 328 was maybe 100 feet in front of me. I had nowhere to go except for the oncomming traffic lane. So I did a 50ish mph emergency lane change, honked at the 328 and goosed it. Cops saw this unfold. The accord saw the blockage finally and stomped on the brakes. The BMW goosed it as well. Ended up with the BMW moving in behind me, the accord sliding to a halt, the drivers side tire locked up....and some seriously P.O'ed officers havin a word with the driver of the accord.

Then a garbage bag fell off a truck a few miles up the road. I considered turning around and goin home, but that was the end of the freaky traffic events.
    Last edited by brembo; 03-20-2004 at 01:33 PM.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Damn Good job! You deserve Most Aware Driver of the Day Award!!

Thumbs up

Accident avoidance is so much easier in a good performance car, especially with an alert driver that is familar with exploring the limits of their car. Way to put all those hours of aggressive and fun driving to a practical use!

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like you tricked the system, and was able to escape death like Final Destination. Too bad the idiot Accord driver didn't crash into a ditch or something. Then the bag up the street tried to get you as well, and you got away again. Dude, you should play the Lotto today. I bet you would win.

Thank god you are an aware driver, and you were the one paying attention. I am glad you didn't wreck. Stupid HonDuh drivers.

I lucked out, not that I woulda had to pay for anything, but then there is the hassle of a rental car or using my Blazer(I hate that thing).

The Tein coilovers did thier job, it felt like I coulda done a 180 @ that speed. The DBA slotted rotors(carbon pads) also did what they were tasked

Had I been in a truck, I would have been exchanging insurance info, I'm sure of it.

When I realized that I HAD to get out of my lane, the speed with which the car jumped lanes was astounding. Full control, with a hint of body roll. I could have whipped it back into the original lane with the same vigor. I'm very VERY pleased with how the car reacted. My tuner helped me spec the setup, seems he knows whats up eh? I'd love to see what this wagon could turn in the slalom, gotta be in the upper 60's.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like your wagon is set up right.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[