Me (Evo) vs modded WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

This is a discussion on Me (Evo) vs modded WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well, I finally had my first encouter with a WRX a few hours ago. I noticed one next to me ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    275

    Me (Evo) vs modded WRX

    Well, I finally had my first encouter with a WRX a few hours ago. I noticed one next to me in the left lane and back one car so he had 2 in front of him and I had 1 in front of me. We get going from the light and maneuver so we end up side by side at the next light. I didnt REALLY want to race him because stock for stock I have a bigger advantage. We both had our windows down and he says "You wanna go?" I say sure, he asks what I'm running and I say stock. I ask him the same and he says "A few mods", I ask how much hp and he grins and says "more than you", so I nod, and its on.

    Light goes green and we both get a good launch, by the end of 1st going into 2nd I am about 1/2 a car length ahead. I hit 2nd and start to pull and going to 3rd I have a good 2 length lead and we have to slow. He catches up and gives me a thumbs up and since he has slow traffic in his lane, he falls in behind me. We go another 3 blocks up and I make a right to come home and he happens to take it with me, he pulls into the left lane next to me and does a head bob like he wants to go from a roll. We are at 25-30 mph and I nod and he punches it hard and pulls 1-2 lengths ahead FAST, I downshift and WHOOSH, the turbo kicks in and I gain on him as he is going to 2nd. I hit 2nd and pull even and then about 1/2 a length up. Freakin car pulls out into my lane (right lane) up ahead so I ease up, drop behind him, pass the car, whip back into my lane and let it rip. I end up 1-2 lengths up again and I ease off at 70mph, my turn come up and I make it and he honks a few short times as I turn.

    Not sure what mods he has as I dont know much about WRX aftermarket stuff but he had a different exhaust for sure and his turbo sounded different from other WRX's I have heard. Good un-expected runs tonight.
    Last edited by EVOVIII; 03-19-2004 at 09:50 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    253
    im pretty sure if he fell behind a car length or two he was indeed on stock turbo. it would be somewhat impossible to be outrun by you if he wasnt, unless he was seriously untuned. the turboback and uppipe he had prolly made it sound different. thats what i gather from the wrx i see. either way im sure you shut him up.

  4. #3
    fre
    fre is offline
    Registered User fre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    357
    I doubt you beat a stage4 with a stock evo, but anything could happen on the road? He would have to be a ****ty driver or have a problem with his car though. The way you pulled on him slightly it sounds like he was a stage2 (exhaust and engine management). And to say you could hear his turbo and it didnt sound stock? I know I can't tell the difference a turbo sounds like a turbo to me unless its like some huge race turbo Between my stock and my vf34 I don't really notice much difference in sound though. And I have no clue why someone would claim they have more horsepower right off the bat that just sets you up for a horrific defeat. Maybe he did it to get you to run
    Last edited by fre; 03-20-2004 at 12:14 AM.

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Aurora
    Posts
    158
    Originally posted by fre
    I doubt you beat a stage4 with a stock evo, but anything could happen on the road? He would have to be a ****ty driver or have a problem with his car though. The way you pulled on him slightly it sounds like he was a stage2 (exhaust and engine management). And to say you could hear his turbo and it didnt sound stock? I know I can't tell the difference a turbo sounds like a turbo to me unless its like some huge race turbo Between my stock and my vf34 I don't really notice much difference in sound though. And I have no clue why someone would claim they have more horsepower right off the bat that just sets you up for a horrific defeat. Maybe he did it to get you to run
    Im guess the guy in the WRX did have a TXS Stage 2, but he was looking at crank hp numbers for which the TXS Stage 2 is 309 hp, which is technically more than the Evo, however the Evo is underrated as it puts down more at the wheels than a Stage 2.

  6. #5
    fre
    fre is offline
    Registered User fre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    357
    Originally posted by eulerfx
    Im guess the guy in the WRX did have a TXS Stage 2, but he was looking at crank hp numbers for which the TXS Stage 2 is 309 hp, which is technically more than the Evo, however the Evo is underrated as it puts down more at the wheels than a Stage 2.
    Well I would never quote a crank number if I were to ever claim I had more power it would be a comparison on a similar dyno at the wheels

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    275
    After looking at the performance times of the Stage 2, I believe thats most likely what he had. There is not much chance I would have won if he had a Stage 4.

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Aurora
    Posts
    158
    Originally posted by EVOVIII
    After looking at the performance times of the Stage 2, I believe thats most likely what he had. There is not much chance I would have won if he had a Stage 4.
    you're basically a Stg 4 WRX without all the free flowing exhaust components. but you still have a bigger turbo than what a 'traditional' Stg 4 has.

  9. #8
    Registered User SGOSWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,058
    Originally posted by EVOVIII
    After looking at the performance times of the Stage 2, I believe thats most likely what he had. There is not much chance I would have won if he had a Stage 4.
    My 02 WRX
    To give you an idea I ran 13.3 @ 100 mph running a stage 2 setup.

    I ran 12.7 @ 108 mph running a stage 4 setup. Much faster than a stock EVO

    But I will be the first to admit anything can happen when racing. The driver plays a huge part.

    I was at Bradenton Motorpark one day (running my stage 2 setup). I was running consistant 13.3s - 13.4 s. A buddy of mine running the same setup (stage 2) was running low to mid 14s.
    The difference was the driver. We switched cars and I ran a
    13.43 @ 99mph in his WRX. The same car that he had been running mid 14s all day.

  10. #9
    Registered User 13secwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,427
    My txs stage 2 pulled every evo I ever raced. I was untuned and ran the regular map. I raced an evo off the line and pulled 2-3 cars on him and then from a roll I had the same result. My stage 2 pulled evo's......I believe that unless your car is running poorly a stage 2 should have no problem....Evo's dyno typically between 220-235 whp. Most stage 2's are in that area and evo's are 200lbs heavier then a wrx. Plus w/the stage 2 your air is free flowing vs. the stock evo ...
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

  11. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    275
    Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    My 02 WRX
    To give you an idea I ran 13.3 @ 100 mph running a stage 2 setup.

    I ran 12.7 @ 108 mph running a stage 4 setup. Much faster than a stock EVO

    But I will be the first to admit anything can happen when racing. The driver plays a huge part.

    I was at Bradenton Motorpark one day (running my stage 2 setup). I was running consistant 13.3s - 13.4 s. A buddy of mine running the same setup (stage 2) was running low to mid 14s.
    The difference was the driver. We switched cars and I ran a
    13.43 @ 99mph in his WRX. The same car that he had been running mid 14s all day.
    Nice numbers there. I don't really pay attention to 1/4 mile times much because I am not really interested in track racing. On a public street, I would never push faster then about 70, even with my radar detector. I have raced close to 90 on a freeway against an Eclipse though, I had him beat sooner but I just wanted to prove a point and ran a little longer. I love racing cars in traffic, thats where I think you can tell a good driver from a great driver because anyone can line em up and race in a straight line for a 1/4 mile but you have to be damn good to race someone in traffic and win. The desicions of what lane to pick, what lane to stay in, what gear to drop into etc..is a great adrenaline rush to me. Racing on the freeway is pretty damn fun too.
    Last edited by EVOVIII; 03-21-2004 at 12:09 AM.

  12. #11
    Registered User cyrilgrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,190
    i agree. i like to do all my racing in bumper to bumper traffic.

  13. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    960
    a little too unsafe for me.
    Mods

    Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

  14. #13
    Registered User skyjock41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    PCAN FL
    Posts
    773

    Re: Me (Evo) vs modded WRX

    Originally posted by EVOVIII
    I ask how much hp and he grins and says "more than you", so I nod, and its on.

    Good job on shutting him up.

  15. #14
    Registered User breepsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    585
    Good run
    sounded like fun

  16. #15
    Registered User MustGoFast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,309
    I love racing cars in traffic, thats where I think you can tell a good driver from a great driver because anyone can line em up and race in a straight line for a 1/4 mile but you have to be damn good to race someone in traffic and win. The desicions of what lane to pick, what lane to stay in, what gear to drop into etc..is a great adrenaline rush to me.
    That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard!!!! I hope you enjoy your car now and when you crash I hope noone other than you is hurt.
    "Does this look like a Q to you?"
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

    Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •