GTO = tEh sLoW!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on GTO = tEh sLoW!! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was driving down the road heading home, when a red GTO pulled up and started to pace me. We ...

WRX

GTO = tEh sLoW!!

I was driving down the road heading home, when a red GTO pulled up and started to pace me. We were going about 40 mph, and I shifted into 3 (quicker downshift to 2 that way) and as I did, he gunned it. Then I did. He got his bumper in front of mine until the car downshifted, when it did, I pulled about 1 1/2 cars on him. Then I hit the brakes at about 80 or so, and what does he do??? [announcer voice] RRRIIIICEERRR FLLLYYYBYYYYY!! [/announcer voice]
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Are those cars auto? Because any ls1/ls6 should own on top end. I didnt check your mods so who knows what your running.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I think they are auto standard, the only upgrage you can get on the car is the 6 speed, IIRC.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

I thought that car ran mid 13s at over 100mph?
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

Yeah, it does, and from a roll, the auto or the manual would not be that much different. WRX is auto IIRC (when he says shift, he means shifting of the AT), and has some decent mods, but I don't think enough to run mid 13s, so I have a hard time believing the that GTO was actually racing, because from a roll you would have been toast -- no pun intended. And the ricer fly by was probably not really a fly by, just not a well executed and well timed race between the two of you.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

i thought gto was rated at 5.2 0-60 and 14.0 1/4

The only time I have seen for the GTO was out of Motor Trend. They ran a 13.62 @ 104.78 in the 1/4 and 5.3 sec 0-60. Those numbers are pretty impressive because the car is a pig at 3725!! Those tests were done with the 6 spd. The auto is probably slower.
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i [Bone Stock]
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 [303 hp/323 tq] - SOLD

i'm pretty sure they come with the Tremec T-56 6m straight off the latter LS-1 camaro/t-a's and same as on the CTS-V....

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141077

Only track time I've seen for an automatic GTO is from that thread. It's stock aside from a K&N panel filter and bumping the revlimiter up a few hundred rpm and raising the shiftpoints a few hundred rpm. Three runs at 13.6 at 102 mph. Or about 2/10 and 2mph slower than a stock 2001+ F-body. Makes sense, since it weighs a couple hundred pounds more than a Camaro or TransAm.

Good job on taking one down, since it looks like the stock 6 speeds or auto's with a torque converter will be running with the stock STi's in the low 13's and mid 100's.

A buddy of mine in West Chicago will be running around the steets in a bright blue GTO featuring a 427 LS6 motor... He works in Aurora, so keep your eyes (and ears) open.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Re: GTO = tEh sLoW!!

Originally posted by WRX
    [, I pulled about 1 1/2 cars on him. [/announcer voice] [/B]
    Good kill.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

Anything can happen in teh "real world" but I dont think that w/your mods you should have won..I call no BS but I think something is a little fishy...Dont give stock wrx's a sense of hope becuase I dont think that result can be normal...just my .02
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

It's not that I don't believe your story I just don't see how that's possible, an auto Rex with full exhaust chipped walking an LS1? The GTO stock just ran a 13.2 stock...their times are getting better b/c alot of tracks are opening. I guess anything can happen.
    2004 Grand Prix CompG
    Fully loaded w/Appreance Package.
    Wizaired CAI

I am calling BS on your kill, sorry man .
    GTO's run mid-high 13's from the factory. , your sig shows a best time of 14.1, and thats with the AWD lauch, which means the GTO is not only faster in the 1/4, it will slaughter you from a roll. EVen with the turboback, you arent going to be THAT much faster. Maybe a 13.9 or so.

Not calling you a liar, but either you were mistaken about it being a GTO, or the driver of the GTO wasnt actually racing you.
    My vote is that he wasnt actually racing you
    Last edited by davenow; 03-20-2004 at 07:12 AM.

theres one thing i noticed....a wrx has a very underrated roll (up to about 100)...people say that drivetrain loss and poor gearing make it perform like a 15 second car from a roll...its been my experience (i have beat cobra and type R's from a roll) that its more like a 14.3 or 14.4 car up to about 100...people just dont give the rex that much credit...drivetrain loss is there but it simply doesnt make a huge difference

WRX
    I'm shocked as well. I totally thought I would lose, but that's what happened. He probably would've started pulling quickly on me if we had gone past 80, but doing over that in a 40 zone was just silly IMO.

We almost got to line up at a light, but the wife was giving me the look...

as far as my 1/4 times, I'm sure I'd be right with the GTO. We'll find out in a few weeks though.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast