me vs WRX
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on me vs WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey all, this is my first post as I am completely new to this site, my basic life story is ...

me vs WRX

hey all, this is my first post as I am completely new to this site, my basic life story is in '94 my father bought himself a brand new Mitsubishi 3000GT SL DOHC N/A for about 30k, and about 3 years ago when i started driving it was what i learned on, i loved it and have always been hooked. Since then i've begun payments on my own 1991 SL and can't wait till i have it insured and on the road (soon). a good friend of mine posts on here and he has a 2002 silver WRX with a B&M short throw shifter, 4" turboXS exhaust and Injen intake.

we plan to race as soon as my car is on the road and i'm anxious to, by that time i should have intake, full exhaust, plugs/wires, 450cc injectors and a new spring or coilover setup.

stock for stock i am supposed to be able to keep up with him from a high roll, 80mph and on. My car for those of you that don't know or underestimate the non-turbo 222hp(stock) 3000GT does the 1/4 in 15.1 and does 0-60 in 6.8 ... i personally have achieved 142mph but can go as high as 155stock (with enough space, hehe, takes sooo long cuz it's slow)

anyways, with the mods i posted i should be pushing around 250 horsepower as will he (if not more for him)... i'm worried but somewhat confident i should be able to take him from a highway roll, but, stupid FWD, from a stop i'm screwed!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I see a few of the 3000's every now and then, as well as the Dodge Stealth which is basically the same body. They are attractive rides.

-snowcat
    <---- my cat doing a hawkeye impersonation!

dont be dumb and race at high speeds like that. a contest of whos d!ck is bigger isnt worth the risk.

racing from 80 upto speeds of 140 is just stupid. If anything race from 40-90 or 100. you wont have as much of an advantage, but none the less, its much safer.
    and yes, you will get crapped on from a stop, but i think you have a pretty good chance from a high roll assuming you are 5speed

yes, 5 speed...
    yeah i was originally thinking along the lines of a 40mph roll which is exactly the perfect rpm in second for a good jump. in case you guys wanted to compare me to the WRX my weight is 3280 lbs
    (predicted figure) 250-260hp

gears =
    1st 3.090
    2nd 1.833
    3rd 1.217
    4th 0.888
    5th 0.741

final = 3.166

if someone could post me back the exact weight numbers and gear ratios for me, that would be great... thanks guys

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar
    anyways, with the mods i posted i should be pushing around 250 horsepower as will he (if not more for him)... i'm worried but somewhat confident i should be able to take him from a highway roll, but, stupid FWD, from a stop i'm screwed!

I always thought non VR4's were rear-wheel drive?
    *1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD

nope, they're FWD with no LSD so it's really really hard to launch... i plan on lowing the front with Intrax springs and lowering the rear with Eibach or not even doing that, i heard for my car it provides much better traction and less wheel hop on the launch, a couple diff companies make LSD's like Quaife and such so i might also consider that for an extra grand, if i do those two things i would be able to launch like i was RWD

No disrespect to you, but learning that 2wd 3000Gt's and Dodge Stealths are FWD makes me feel like this--->

I look at how beautiful those cars are and envision smoking rear tires and drifting, not wheel hop and torque steer! Now I imagine it's similar to a GS-T eclipse but heavier?

Sorry, I'm just not a fan of FWD and this comes as a shock to me! You will take a rex on the highway for sure though!
    PICS & MODS

hey man, it's very similar to the eclipse GS-T minus the turbo feeling, i've raced one before (my buddies) which was intake/exhaust/plugs/wires cept they come with 450cc injectors stock so he spun on the launch and still had me by a good 1.5-2 cars in the end, that would prob run about a 14.4 at the track with those mods. i got a ride in it after and the turbo makes it feel (when you're in the pass seat) like you're going 10 times faster than my N/A 3000 but the fact that my engine has no turbo makes it feel like you have more power on tap as opposed to waiting till 2300 for the 9b turbos in the VR-4 or the T-24's on the eclipse

There is a guy here in New Haven, CT with a red VR4 sleeper pushing something rediculous like 5-600hp on a twin turbo setup! I hear he toys with Z06 Vettes like its nothing! Crazy cars.
    PICS & MODS

haah i didn't realize how close you are, I actually test drove a red VR-4 right near you, but it had a stock engine setup. Yeah most people get Supras and Skylines and WRX's thinking they can milk power easily and what they don't know is that the VR-4 with only $2,000 can run 12.3 - i have an article right here in my hand and i will gladly link it to anyone that doesn't believe me.

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    Originally posted by SOUTHPAW
    No disrespect to you, but learning that 2wd 3000Gt's and Dodge Stealths are FWD makes me feel like this--->

I look at how beautiful those cars are and envision smoking rear tires and drifting, not wheel hop and torque steer! Now I imagine it's similar to a GS-T eclipse but heavier?

Sorry, I'm just not a fan of FWD and this comes as a shock to me! You will take a rex on the highway for sure though!
    Only the naturally aspirated version are FWD. The VR4s (the twin turbo kind) are AWD. (EDIT: Rereading your posts, you probably knew that).

And I think you'll have a hard time hanging with a WRX even if it only has a TurboXS exhaust. If you had a VR4 it would be a good match up, but with your SL, you won't be very pleased with the results.

When I wanted an AWD vehicle, I narrowed it down to the VR4 or the WRX. When looking at cars, I happened to test drive an SL as I was already at the place, and a WRX will beat it hands down.
    Last edited by zoophagy; 03-16-2004 at 07:27 PM.

Only the naturally aspirated version are FWD. The VR4s (the twin turbo kind) are AWD.
    I know that VR4s are AWD turbo. I had no idea that the 2wd NA were FWD.
    PICS & MODS

not to argue with you zoophagy but i've heard many a stories of stock SL's taking stock WRX's from a highway roll, we can also take stock 350Z (track models even) from a highway roll. please don't doubt the N/A 3000
    Last edited by Brians3000GT; 03-16-2004 at 07:34 PM.

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    Originally posted by Brians3000GT
    not to argue with you zoophagy but i've heard many a stories of stock SL's taking stock WRX's from a highway roll, we can also take stock 350Z (track models even) from a highway roll. please don't doubt the N/A 3000
    Yeah, but a WRX with a turboback exhaust is not stock. It helps considerably up top. But I won't argue with you either (although those results with a 350Z sound odd). Just race him and see what happens.

hah yeah i know, it's because they are strictly geared for all low end torque-ish power and quick 1/4 acceleration believe it or not

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast