me vs WRX - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on me vs WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have to agree. Forty-eight horsepower is a lot on a naturally aspirated engine. I would think that you would ...

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    I have to agree. Forty-eight horsepower is a lot on a naturally aspirated engine. I would think that you would have to do a lot of mods to achieve that on your 3.0L V6. That is almost a 25% increase in power. I have to doubt you'll get that without engine work, but I could be wrong. I don't know that much about modding Mitsubishi NAs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by zoophagy
    I have to agree. Forty-eight horsepower is a lot on a naturally aspirated engine. I would think that you would have to do a lot of mods to achieve that on your 3.0L V6. That is almost a 25% increase in power. I have to doubt you'll get that without engine work, but I could be wrong. I don't know that much about modding Mitsubishi NAs.
    ...most of all i do is spend my time on reviewing my car, not to say that you were being an ass because you weren't at all, but i wouldn't say that about anyone on this forum and WRX's beacause you all seem very intelligent and know your cars well.
    ... now with that said

the exhaust can be milked for a good amount of horsepower considering i have a very very restrictive cat and 3 resonators, plus it's heavy. so with the new, lighter, freer flowing exhaust system with a removed cat is hould get some good numbers just off that with an FIPK slapped onto the engine replacing the gay stock airbox/intake.

opening up the fuel system with a little bigger injectors does help a bit too...

if by the time i race him i do have UDP, alum flywheel, the exhaust with headers and an intake i will definetly not have a problem, because those few large/heavy pulleys make a big difference in my car compared to aftermarket as far as restriction goes... you guys won't believe me but it's been proven to open up as much as 35hp just with UDP and aluminum flywheel

My stock base 1999 3000gt has 160hp and weighs 3200lbs. 0-60 in 7.2 sec. SL's do it in 6.9 stock and vr-4's do it in 5.5 stock..thats what I read. For the money the VR-4 is a great buy. You get AWD and AW steering. Great handeling! And a car that turns heads. I would not recomend to anybody to buy a base 3000gt. Too slow. I think the SL is better but its just to expensive and too much $$$ to mod. But the VR-4 is sweet!!

Originally posted by artist71
    My stock base 1999 3000gt has 160hp and weighs 3200lbs. 0-60 in 7.2 sec. SL's do it in 6.9 stock and vr-4's do it in 5.5 stock..thats what I read. For the money the VR-4 is a great buy. You get AWD and AW steering. Great handeling! And a car that turns heads. I would not recomend to anybody to buy a base 3000gt. Too slow. I think the SL is better but its just to expensive and too much $$$ to mod. But the VR-4 is sweet!!
    the 0-60 on the VR-4 depends on years, if you're talking second generation it's 4.8 0-60 because of the different gearing plus the added boost and reduced weight ...

the first genners is about 5.2 0-60 and 13.8 1/4

yeah I read 0-60 in 4.8 too but I was afraid to post that cause I figured I would get a BS flag and I can't remember where I saw it at. But yeah, I heard the 1998 and 1999 did it in 4.8 sec. I raced a 1997 and stayed even with him till the next light. He was a really cool fella too. He was suprised to see me in the WRX cause the last time I saw him I was in my 99 3000gt. I just got sick of it being so slow...not to mention that I am at a much higher elevation (Oregon) so now my 3000gt is even slower.
    One night I was coming home fro the theatre in my 3000gt and I was racing some little modded civic and I wasn't able to pull on him and he wasn't able to gain on me. It sucked so bad cause my car looks so fast and mean. Thats when I decided to get the WRX.

I'd bet you a thousand dollars you didn't get that much hp form just adding an exhaust and intake.

BTW N/A motors need some backpressure in the exhaust, by removing cats you probably sacraficed much low end- torque.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

Stock WRX the curb weight is 3088 but if you weigh one its under 3000. Getting a TXS turbo-back and UP will help him lose about 20 lbs.

By going with a TBE and UP he can also increase boost.
    Former car: 2002 Cobb/Scoobysport stage 2 WRX sedan
    New ride: ???

A wrx with a UTEC, Turboback exhaust, and up-pipe should be at around 315 crank horsepower. Whuch is probably what you're talking about because I doubt you have 270 wheel horsepower(I seriously doubt you have that).

BTW a wrx exhaust is extremely restrictive, it has 3 cats.
    Mods

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    I think you should race him already. I want to know what happens.

I was looking at 3si.org, and it seems that people with DOHC Stealths and 3000GTs were dynoing around 180whp with bolt ons (This is what an SL is, right? The base is a SOHC, the SL is a DOHC and the VR-4 is a TT DOHC). Only one person, it seems, has been able to break into the 13s NA, and that was something like a 13.8 with all bolt ons and ported heads. Unfortunately, no one wanted to post their ETs, which would help compare races from a roll.

Of course, anything can and does happen on the street. I am looking forward to seeing what happens. Best of luck. I would actually like to see you win just to prove everyone here wrong.

ilivas, i'm just going off what i read from tuner sites... www.3sx.org www.dynamicracing.com and so on.

and i did not say just intake/exhaust, by then i will have all the other stuff that i mentioned from before...

i can't race him now since my car won't be on the road for another few months and i don't have my license until august anyways (taken away for 2 speeding tickets before i turned 18)

I think I'm going to walk him...sorry Brian ... UTEC will be fully operational in a few months...

You will not get that much power from bolt-ons. To get that kind of power you'll need to do some headwork and internals.

Tuners tend to be optimistic with their power gains.

BTW, a light weight flywheel won't add hp.
    Mods

WRX can pick up 100 whp with bolt-ons. Turbo engines have a lot of potential.

What altitude is this race taking place at? NA engines get handicapped at this altitude. (5000+)
    Former car: 2002 Cobb/Scoobysport stage 2 WRX sedan
    New ride: ???

ilivas, what's going on here, i said CRANK - 270 at the CRANK CRANK CRANK CRANK CRANK CRANK, get it? good, Kian you're a bastard, now i'm going to have to invest more money cuz there's no way i'm letting you walk me you bastard! haha

... our N/A's respond pretty well to bolt ons like i/h/e because they're pretty restrictive stock. But now knowing that Kian's getting the UTEC - i'm ****in screwed, hehehe. btw ilivas, as we all know, lightweight flywheel = less rotating mass, and yes, there's LESS mass there because it's lighter and hence a less dense substances which is less mass per square unit. It will in turn spin faster, as you all know
    Last edited by Brians3000GT; 03-27-2004 at 07:31 AM.

315 crank horsepower in a wrx with a car that weighs 3100 lbs. I think the wrx will win
    Mods