me vs WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on me vs WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; its a 3 liter with nice gearing for high way races...

its a 3 liter with nice gearing for high way races
    if its not fast it better be a show car

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by Brians3000GT
    haah i didn't realize how close you are, I actually test drove a red VR-4 right near you, but it had a stock engine setup. Yeah most people get Supras and Skylines and WRX's thinking they can milk power easily and what they don't know is that the VR-4 with only $2,000 can run 12.3 - i have an article right here in my hand and i will gladly link it to anyone that doesn't believe me.
    dude, the wrx isnt even nearly in the same catagory as the skyline or supra. and you think you extract more power for less money and more efficiently from a vr4 than a TT supra, or skyline, you have some reading to do.

both supra and skyline are 2 of the most modable cars in the world, and the skyline is probably the most modable in the world.
    not dogging on the Vr4, but that statement you made is completely false. there are hundreds of supras and skyline pushing over 700hp like its nothing, and several more in the 1000+ range. what hurts the vr4 is that its really heavy.

also, i am going to have to call BS on the stock SL pulling on a 350Z. with the variable intake on those, they have pretty mean top end, plus the 3.5L of displacement and 287 ponies, helps it move. that car is no slouch up top at all, and i am pretty sure it would walk a stock SL

The 3000GT SL has 220 odd horsepower and weighs in at about 3800 lbs. I don't think you'll beat a wrx much less a 350z.
    The fastest 3000gt vr4 I've heard of is in the 11's.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

ilivas, you must not have read my post, i posted my car's specs

weight = 3280
    horsepower= 222 stock, 250-260 with my future mods
    tranny = 5 speed
    and i listed my gear ratios, pay more attention next time

also... i wasn't saying that th4e Vr-4 was more moddable than the Skyline or Supra, i definetly agree that those two are the easiest to milk power from, i'm just saying that most people don't realize what the VR-4 can do given the right aftermarket parts, if 5 mods for 2,000 dollars gets you 12.3 in a VR-4 you can't deny that that is pretty ****in good

haha, you wont be walking any Z's. They trap at least 100 bone stock. Your mid 14 second car, wont be able to hang.

I could see taking a bone stock wrx from a roll. If he has engine management and TBE, youll be goin down.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4
    haha, you wont be walking any Z's. They trap at least 100 bone stock. Your mid 14 second car, wont be able to hang.

I gotta agree here. When my Wife and I test drove a 350Z I was very very impressed with its pull getting onto the highway (this with my mild mannered Wife driving). It would have easily walked away (if not ran away) from my, at that time, stock '03 WRX.
    {edit}
    Little more on this....

The weight difference between the SL and Z are marginal, Z should be a bit lighter unless you have done some weight reduction.

Z is 287hp 274ftlb 3217lb listed curb weight (via Edmunds)
    SL is 222hp 201ftlb 3350lb listed curb weight (via Edmunds, also confirmed via 3si specs site)

Can't believe the gear ratio is going to make that big of a difference.
    {edit}

BTW, grats on the 3000gt, very cool cars imo.

I too was torn between a VR4 / Stealth TT and a new purchase of the STI. Was working on a trade with my T/A for a Stealth TT, but I really wanted something *new* and the *newer* VR4s (i.e. 96+) were way out there on price.
    Last edited by wile2k; 03-17-2004 at 09:32 AM.
    '04 WR Blue STi (Stock for now)
    '95 Purple T/A (Very Not Stock)

Yeah..I like to cruise in my 3Kgt too. Its is such a smooth looking car and it handles great. But if I feel like racing then it stays at home and I take out my WRX. My 3Kgt has like 170hp....so its kinda slow. But on the other hand I don't get to race too often and its sure is a sweet ride.

So now with these 2 cars I am always broke.....but you only live once.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails carz.jpg  
    Last edited by artist71; 03-17-2004 at 09:24 AM.

weight

the 3350 weight listed is for the automatic tranny, mine is manual so it weights in a few less

i heard the 350Z thing from www.3si.org (the site i mainly post on) and didn't believe it at first until i saw that the 350Z running almost a full second faster than the S2000 and they both trapped nearly exact same speed, that test was in motortrend. As soon as i find the mag i'll post it but the 350 maxes out it's torque soooo quick where as the S2000 was way more gradual as is my car. I could be wrong tho, I'm sure someone will dig something up from a 350Z site and clear this confusion. I'm just passing on what i heard/read

a guy who had just bought his 350Z was harassing a non-turbo 3/S owner (like my car) and challenged him to a race, they went from a 85mph roll i believe and the 3000 walked him all the way till 110
    Last edited by Brians3000GT; 03-17-2004 at 12:25 PM.

here's the actual story from 3si
    I'm in a hurry on the freeway, headed to watch my kid trick or treat at the church and i'm late. So i'm runnin 80ish down the freeway, windows down, ACDC blarin on the radio and i see headlights in the rearview commin up pretty quick. (after my episode with the E55 AMG I've been real hesitant about gettin worked up right away ) Anyways a middle aged man and woman in a Z pull up next to me at about 85 and take a good look at my car. I'm a nice guy (and in a hurry anyways) so I motion to them to go right ahead (who says that chivalry is dead). So the guy hits it and soon as i hear his exaust I punch it in third. I started at his rear bumper (85ish) and by 120 he is at my rear bumper. There is a truck in front of me so I slow down and the Z passes and I drop behind him. Soon as i pass the truck i get back into my lane and proceed to walk up on him again until we reach the light.

Now you all know the look that someones girlfriend gives you when you smoke thier guy in his car....this ol' lady shoots me that look! uggggggghhhh.

Anyways i was pretty stoked as a co-workers Z beats me up 0-60, i didnt realize that they lost it at the top end so much.

and here's the link to that post incase you don't believe it http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread....highlight=350Z

I've driven an N/A 3si, 350 z and I own a WRX. The 3si is significantly slower than the other 2, while the 350 z is the fastest.
    Mods

Armed with a rotated Precision 6265 turbo at 35psi and a built 2.5 liter.

No offense to you, but I wouldn't pick on a WRX. You will get creamed from a stop, and on a roll you may have a chance. Most WRX owners that will race you are modified, and its pretty easy for us to pick up 50WHP. I just beat a modified '89 Supra turbo on a highway roll.
    Former car: 2002 Cobb/Scoobysport stage 2 WRX sedan
    New ride: ???

I haven't encountered a 3000gt in my wrx but from my encounter of one in my previous car, either the driver was a retard or the car was an auto... or maybe both. He was weaving in and out of traffic so when the lanes finally cleared up we punched it and in all honesty it wasn't even a contest. I put car lenghts on him w/ ease... several times. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it was an auto because seriously I had more respect for those cars before that race. This was when I drove a b16 civic hatch... so this should tell you that his car was slooow. A vr4, now thats another story.

I actually wanted to buy and old V-6 stealth for the longest time. Its not the fastest ever, but they are nice, cool cars. Good for weekend cruises or messing around. You don't have to race people all the time.
    Former car: 2002 Cobb/Scoobysport stage 2 WRX sedan
    New ride: ???

Sorry but i dont really think a 3kgt will walk on a 350Z. If you were to imagine the race, the 3kGt had to pass a truck in order to proceed. By that time it sounded like the 350z gave up and he just did a ricer flyby. If you look at the motor's torque curve, its pretty linear the whole way, thats just how nissan motors are built, for torque. Look at both the 2.5 and the 3.5 motors, both will show the same type of curves, they are no honda motors (no disrespect intended).

Granted that the 3000gt SL looks freaken mean, its a hefty car which just frankly needs more power to compete. Gearing is not going to making up for that much difference. The Z is a lighter and more powerful car, the WRX has just about the same amount of power stock and lighter, i just dont see how a 3kgt non-turbo can beat either at drag.