WRX A.W.D. Launching Power Vs RWD
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX A.W.D. Launching Power Vs RWD within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Sorry this might be written in wrong section, but its all relevant to real street racing... I was wondering: When ...

WRX A.W.D. Launching Power Vs RWD

Sorry this might be written in wrong section, but its all relevant to real street racing... I was wondering:
    When your US spec WRXs are stock standard (Is it 235HP??), do they have enough power to do proper, bog-free launches, 6000rpm dump that'll give it say 2-3 car length advantage over a RWD launch? Or will it spin a little and then bog again before boosting more?

If not, then would installing the MBC and exhaust from turbo back give it enough power increase to launch AWD style properly?
    What sort of times 0-60mph from G-Tech (for comparison) are u getting for a stock or near standard WRX? What about 1/4?

I'm planning on racing some Rexes soon and I want to know what to expect from the different level modded rexs I'll encounter

thx
    "S15 Silvia - Are you enjoying the view from the side?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Here's what I did to an LS1 Vette (of course, I'm not exactly stock and I've got an automatic):

(Full video here, 1.5 MB)

Properly launched, an MT WRX can do bog-free launches and easily take most RWD cars off the line with no spin. All depends on the driver and on what mods it has.

Padre
    2002 WRX Automatic - Cobb RT-Spec with TMIC, Vishnu uppipe and fuel-rails, STi Injectors and Supra Fuel pump, Pro Torque Street/Strip Torque Converter (4100rpm stall), super-secret TC-lock-up mod, and 17" SSR Comps w/ S-03's.

13.25 @ 102 w/ 1.804 60'

Fug--that's--fast

How much power do LS1 vette have over there?

We've got LS1 powered Holden Commodores here as well, they get 301HP (family car), 341HP (clubsport) and 402HP (GTS) versions here..

My S15 has about 240-250 engine HP (200rwhp+) and due to lower weight I could eat the 341HP ones for breakfast and the 301HP ones I don't even bother anymore. I beat them by 7-8 cars easy I won't be surprised if I could eat the 402HP ones too but I honestly haven't bumped into them at lights - they're limited versions.

I've never DRAGGED a WRX that's done the AWD launch to me, so I still haven't had my A$$ handed to me yet....
    But on a roll, I find that most WRXs aren't as fast after end of 2nd.. In fact I just run one twice off the lights tonite, but without the lacun.... he had at least exhaust and on a roll I just really beat him very easily.... What I'm really worried about is the AWD launch. I'm trying to calculate which ones can beat me and which ones won't - simply because some friends especially one has CAI, E.B.C. (Apexi AVC-R at 17psi), 3" turbo back Apexi N1. Don't want to lose to him when I run him... yet at this stage, I'm still uncertain of difference between a WRX that's been launched or hasn't.....

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    Padre just about hit it From what I've read though, dumping the clutch at 6k isn't too good...most people go up to 5k at the max and slip the clutch to get good results.

And I want to see pictures of your S15!!!!!!
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

I think I've posted the pic before, but here it is again!

Ummm, I can smell my own fear of AWD launches.... the feeling is NOT GOOD.....

In fact I'm quite certain now that a WRX will out launch me at the start no matter what....

I think I'll be playing CATCH UP....
    REAL SCARED NOW...
    I don't want to lose, especially my WRX friend is SO confident of his ride too.....

Anyway, any idea how much power the Corvettes have?

awesome video padre, what mods do you have done to it? Iruka that is such a beautiful car
    1993 Honda Accord Coupe
    JDM F22a and some goodies...

Iruka: 5MT WRXs with just a few mods can pull the same 60' times that I do (1.8x seconds). I really don't see how you could keep up. Moreover, the 5MT is geared better than my automatic, so I don't think you could catch up either.

Travis: see my sig for mods. I'm putting down close to 250awhp.

And here's another video of a car that was able to keep up with me on the launch - a fully drap-prepared El Camino with drag slicks, blower, and so on. Note that because of my long 3rd-gear and TC slippage, my top-end sucks and I lost both these races (though I did beat the Vette in another race). But I guess there is something to losing with style. The El Camino driver pulled over to chat and was like .

Me vs. El Camino

Padre
    2002 WRX Automatic - Cobb RT-Spec with TMIC, Vishnu uppipe and fuel-rails, STi Injectors and Supra Fuel pump, Pro Torque Street/Strip Torque Converter (4100rpm stall), super-secret TC-lock-up mod, and 17" SSR Comps w/ S-03's.

13.25 @ 102 w/ 1.804 60'

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    i hope that when you say dumping the clutch you don't mean holding the clutch in and then twisting your ankle so the pedal flies off your foot upward. "slipping" the clutch would be keeping your foot on the pedal the whole time, just lifting up on the clutch very quickly.

padreWRX: you have one hella fast wrx!!! did the cobb RT spec kit come w/ the torque converter, or did you add that yourself?
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

Originally posted by Penguinking
    padreWRX: you have one hella fast wrx!!! did the cobb RT spec kit come w/ the torque converter, or did you add that yourself?
    The TC came from www.protorque.com . They take your original and mod it for about a 4100rpm stall. If you use your own, count on about a week of downtime for shipping back and forth. If you buy a used one from another WRX owner, you can have it modded, installed in one day, then sell your old one. Cost for mod, about $495, cost for install, about $300. YMMV.

BTW, the TC mod should be the first thing any auto-WRX does. It's just amazing, except for the slippage in 3rd (but we've got a $5 TC-lock-up mod). With my VF-29 RT-spec, I run out of breath up top, so I'll be looking for a bigger turbo that still gives me some boost down low (to reach my stall) and more power up top.

Padre

13.25 @ 102 w/ 1.804 60'

padre...nice mods man :)

i was wondering, you got some serious power on that wrx...how quick do you run the quarter? i figure its somewhere in the 13's, my question is, is it the high 13's or low? Im guessing u can pull atleast a 13.5 with all those mods on an Auto, fill me in . Hehe i showed all my friends the video of u racing that vette, they were all like "holly ****, that car is quick off the line $$" LOL. I actually have a video of me racing a vette also, but i dont know how to transfer it from the camaro onto the computer? can u help me out?

-Bobby D

Smile not tring to boast just wanna know how im runnin so fast

im pullin hi 13s w\ next to no mods. is cause of altitude or temp or what.
    p.s. my reaction times suck like
    r\t 1.015
    60 1.848
    330 5.635
    1\8 8.799 @77.69
    1000 11.528
    1\4 13.845 @95.74

if someone would tell me how to post a mov . icould show yall this run z28 won (passing the finish line) by split sec but iwon in times he ran a 14.181@ 98.91
    if my reaction time was better wouldnt i be in mid 13s?????
    Last edited by jt money; 06-23-2002 at 05:57 PM.
    02 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #37

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX

Re: not tring to boast just wanna know how im runnin so fast

Originally posted by jt money
    im pullin hi 13s w\ next to no mods. is cause of altitude or temp or what.
    p.s. my reaction times suck like
    r\t 1.015
    60 1.848
    330 5.635
    1\8 8.799 @77.69
    1000 11.528
    1\4 13.845 @95.74

if someone would tell me how to post a mov . icould show yall this run z28 won (passing the finish line) by split sec but iwon in times he ran a 14.181@ 98.91
    if my reaction time was better wouldnt i be in mid 13s?????
    those are great times for a close to stock wrx man!

i'd say much of the reason you're getting those high 13s is b/c of that mbc you got setup in your car. stock ecu opens the wastegate at around 9psi in first, so if you're getting 15 through all gears, you're making a noticable diff in hp and pull.

just for reference: my first time out to the track my best time was a 14 flat. suprise, suprise, though - i had already installed my stage zero kit i attribute my poor times to the enormous exhaust leak that had developed over the preceding days before my trip to the 1/4.

keep up the good times! 13.8 w/ that setup is awesome
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

Thanks for all the info guys..

Very very impressed with the AWD launch.
    1.8Xs 60 ft is very impressive indeed....

Love both videos too - haha but someone has a shaky hand!

so the next ? is why w\ all those mods arent they runnin a lot faster?
    ps yeah stage 0 should have put u at low 13s sux about the leak. i take it that it was in the up pipe. why cant anyone make one right. seems like 200 bucks for a risky mod. but at the same time i dont want to pull my cat in my turbo either thats why im at 15 steady. what do hoses do for your car? ireally dont know.
    02 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #37

Iruka-

to guage how well you can launch on a WRX, use your Gtech again...

OK you said you pull about 0.80 gs in first gear (peak)... that also holds true for me (+/- 0.2)... but what peak g value do you hit on an actual LAUNCH?

That 0.80 for me was just punching it in 1st gear, clutch engaged from say 3k to 5k...

On a 5k dead stop launch I peak a good bit over 1g... usually 1.15-1.25 with a good one... Not so good being 1.00-1.10.

Give it a try and let us know, I am curious....

def
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.