WRX A.W.D. Launching Power Vs RWD - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on WRX A.W.D. Launching Power Vs RWD within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; that exhaust leak can really do some damage ( to your times). i was suprised at how slow i was ...

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    that exhaust leak can really do some damage ( to your times). i was suprised at how slow i was running w/ the leak. now that its fixed i havnt been back out to the track to see how it runs. maybe i might go this friday but who knows.

the reason why no one can make a good uppipe isn't their fault. its b/c subaru put a crappy flange there. theres only 2 connecting points for one of the most crucial connections for your exhaust. very junky design. if u get, say, a maxim works headers, then the whole setup includes the uppipe part of the exhaust, but its all one piece of pipe comming from the exhaust manifold, so you don't hafta worry about connections - 1 piece design, very cool.
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

dug-e-fresh, thanks for the G-Tech tip.

However, there is actually some technical issues with the way we test the acceleration on the G-Tech like this, I just found out.

Because theoretically the G force being measured should only be the Horizontal force. However, when we launch the car hard from a stop, the front end of car will lift and the back end will squat, and this is even more so in an AWD WRX... In effect, the G-Tech is not only measuring Horizontal G-Force, but because the meter is now slightly pointing upwards it will take into consideration the G-Force pointing downwards into the centre of gravity as well, which at 90degrees is 1.0g=9.8m/s/s, and in a slight angle should be at least 0.05 or more.

But I'll try it anyway to see how it goes!
    Thanks for that again.
    "S15 Silvia - Are you enjoying the view from the side?"

Decline the gtech to measure -0.05... that should cancel out the gravity vectors you are talking about. Generally mine always has a bit of negative g force when at a stand still. Like -0.02 or -0.03 or so, unless I am doing a 0-60 or 1/4 mile... but thats rare anymore.

The effect you describe has occurred to me before... but really I dont give it that much regard as I figured that happens to some degree with all cars... but you may be right... an AWD car might (should) lift more on a launch, thus becoming more of a factor... I know my WRX lifts pretty damn high...at the track some people have sworn that my front wheels come up... I dont think so though, no way!!.... its fun to hear that though...

Glad to be of assistance....

def

BTW- beautiful car!! Whats one of those cost in Aussie?
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

Originally posted by dug-e-fresh
    ... but you may be right... an AWD car might (should) lift more on a launch, thus becoming more of a factor... I know my WRX lifts pretty damn high...at the track some people have sworn that my front wheels come up... I dont think so though, no way!!.... its fun to hear that though...
    Why should an AWD car lift the front end more? I would think that a RWD car would be the worst for this as there is no forward pull from the front wheels. All cars, of course, experience this rearward shift in weight as you accelerate, but I would think the pull from the front wheels (albeit somewhat small) would still be beneficial in maintaining some weight staying in the front. Thoughts?
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

I see it as the 4 wheels pulling the car forward harder than a similarily powered RWD car... with that and our stock semi-soft suspension... the sprung mass on the car has alot of movement, and that movement sends the weight of the car rearward... thats why FWD cars are so difficult to launch... even with the wheels pulling the car down in the front, the rearward motion of the body really makes the big difference, all the weight is pulled of the front due to the accleration of the vehicle... coming off the line a car with as much traction as the WRX (or any AWD car) should compound the problem... its just not an issue when driving all 4 wheels though...
    def
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

Yep the WRX does benefit from an Anti-Lift kit to reduce lifting and also understeer into corners...

Why the back end goes down a bit more though I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure one of the main reasons is because AWD launching pulls higher G-Forces

My car costs about $37500-40990k in aussie dollar.
    Which is USD22k at current exhange rate!
    "S15 Silvia - Are you enjoying the view from the side?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12