Dodge SRT-4 killing an STI (video inside) - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Dodge SRT-4 killing an STI (video inside) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; sheesh...this subject always brings 'em out doesn't it? For any doubters, do a bit of research on the SRT4 engine. ...

I Support ClubWRX
    sheesh...this subject always brings 'em out doesn't it? For any doubters, do a bit of research on the SRT4 engine. Believe me, once the aftermarket catches up, they will FAR surpass the HP/TQ capabilities of a WRX or an STi. Yeah, I own an STi, and no I have not been beat from a roll by an SRT4 (very close though, as posted by 2004NeonSRT4). It will happen eventaully though, and even though I cringe to think about, it's only a matter of time.

Stock vs Stock, they are very close from a roll, but from a dig, as everyone points out, it is truly another story. Give 'em a year though, and the SRT4s will be cleaning up on everybody with a 4 cylinder. Those engines are just plain stout, and made for mods. I predict an easy 350 to 400 HP without modding the internals, and then who knows what the limit will be after that. Props are due to Mopar for putting these out on the market, and I for one am glad to see domestic competition like this. After all, hondas do get a bit old after a while yes?

Last counterpoint though, snow and gravel baby! No matter how much you mod the SRT4, it will not have the capabilities of the Subaru line in that forum. But then, the video isn't focused on that is it. I'd sure like to see "the other" video where the same 2 cars run from a dig. I believe a previous poster said the STi eats the SRT4 by 4 or so car lengths.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I little it OT, but...
    As much as the SRT-4 engine is impressive (I say engine because the rest of the car does not impress me) and the car does scoot, I am reminded from time to time why it shouldn't bother me that in a drag race, I might not come out on top. A good example was the other day, at no more than 15 mph, I approaced a 5 mph, wet, very steep uphill left hairpin. Approach - turn in - stab throttle - add a touch of corrective steering and blast away WRC style. Such a smile on my face, and under 15 mph. Can't do that in False-Wheel-Drive.
    2007 Space Grey w/ Coral BMW 335 Coupe

2002 Blue WRX 5 speed SOLD

1987 Grand National - sold
    -12.01@113

I can't believe all the excuses STILL get thrown about.

Originally posted by 2001S4
    Come on man, it's JUST a neon....

I agree. Some people just can't accept that there are other cars that can compete with the car they own. It happens. If everyone had the same car, what fun would that be?
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 Black
    221 whp/ 241 wtrq *Stock*
    13.585 @ 102.88 *Stage 1*

"Nothing gives you such a sense of the infinite as stupidity"

Originally posted by drizze99

dark_rex: I comment on other threads besides "SRT" threads!
    just bustin on ya.

i like anything that goes fast. SRT-4's seem to fit the bill nicely.

i'm just perplexed at the funky manifold/turbo design. looks like another BS move by MOPAR to corner the market for their own parent. i HATE mopar.

dR

dude, i'm sure you're a very knowledgable car guy. BUT is it me, or do you only participate in the threads that compare WRX's to other cars?

i think you're a troll. that's all. spend some time here in the other forums, rather than just surfing the 16 yr old forums.

dR

Oh, and stop the BS WRX is better than SRT is better than STi discussions.

I never post in WRX v W, but every time i do, it's a b!tch fight w/ trolls.

talk about the movie, talk about the cars, BUT FOR GODS SAKE stop the pissing match!

dR

Originally posted by Shaitiger
    Heh, that's funny how you didn't quote the "no nitrous" part as well .

If you can show me 5+ 11 second or 115+mph WRX's on pump gas(91-93 octane) without nitrous, I'd be a very happy person. That's why I asked the question .

Honestly I don't see how 115+ isn't possible in a WRX... to be honest w/ you. Do you mean over 115 in the quarter mile or something else? And yes... I'm talking about a stock WRX on 93 octane. No nitro or anything.
    It's all about rally racing, nothing more.
    On second thought maybe its all about Rally Racing and Auto-X

'06 Steel Gray WRX (Stock)

I've been watching this thread and find it quite humorous only because these threads are on Porsche forums that I frequent most all the time... especially in the Boxster forums.

"It's the total package"

"Let's see in the twisties"

"If I wanted a quarter miler, I would have bought a <insert car here>"

"Their <insert car here> will fall apart over time"

Well, funny enough, all these are true here too. The WRX is a nice car. The SRT4 is a fast car, but not so "nice".
    There's really no question which car as an entire package is better... the WRX by far.
    The SRT4 is for wannabe's car for the street. It's crappy for the drag strip or the road course (FWD). It's great for making up for a small ***** on the highway however, because it is pretty darn quick in straight line acceleration from a roll of some sort. It's cheap and easy to mod, but it's still limited by a weaker setup (FWD). It can never be a good road course car for that reason, and only a marginal 1/4 miler regardless of $ dumped into it.

On the other hand, a WRX gives you platform with MUCH MUCH more potential for all the above. The bottom line is, the very best you can get out of the SRT4 is much less than the very best you can derive out of a WRX.
    Scott in Houston

Originally posted by dark_rex
    dude, i'm sure you're a very knowledgable car guy. BUT is it me, or do you only participate in the threads that compare WRX's to other cars?

i think you're a troll. that's all. spend some time here in the other forums, rather than just surfing the 16 yr old forums.

dR
    And all I ever see you posting is post bashing every car and/or particular posters. I contribute plenty, but then have to deal with a$$holes like you. I think youu are a complete a$$hole. Everytime I post anything remotely pro anything other than subaru, you come and bash me. Maybe you should open up YOUR mind and learn a thing or two other than the very limited things you already know about.
    Last edited by 2001S4; 03-16-2004 at 01:35 PM.

Originally posted by Scott n Houston
    I've been watching this thread and find it quite humorous only because these threads are on Porsche forums that I frequent most all the time... especially in the Boxster forums.

"It's the total package"

"Let's see in the twisties"

"If I wanted a quarter miler, I would have bought a <insert car here>"

"Their <insert car here> will fall apart over time"

Well, funny enough, all these are true here too. The WRX is a nice car. The SRT4 is a fast car, but not so "nice".
    There's really no question which car as an entire package is better... the WRX by far.
    The SRT4 is for wannabe's car for the street. It's crappy for the drag strip or the road course (FWD). It's great for making up for a small ***** on the highway however, because it is pretty darn quick in straight line acceleration from a roll of some sort. It's cheap and easy to mod, but it's still limited by a weaker setup (FWD). It can never be a good road course car for that reason, and only a marginal 1/4 miler regardless of $ dumped into it.

On the other hand, a WRX gives you platform with MUCH MUCH more potential for all the above. The bottom line is, the very best you can get out of the SRT4 is much less than the very best you can derive out of a WRX.
    Houston..... we have a problem!

If the SRT-4 is a "crappy" FWD car that can't do well on a road course regardless of the $ dumped into it, THEN explain to me WHY the SRT-4 took 8TH OVERALL last year in One Lap of America?

Marginal 1/4 miler?? Puuuuhlease!! Look up Daryl Cox and learn something.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it even wooped up on your precious Porsche!!
    Last edited by drizze99; 03-16-2004 at 01:48 PM.
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i [Bone Stock]
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 [303 hp/323 tq] - SOLD

If the SRT-4 is a "crappy" FWD car that can't do well on a road course regardless of the $ dumped into it, THEN explain to me WHY the SRT-4 took 8TH OVERALL last year in One Lap of America?

uhhh...no it didn't. twin turbo porsche - 5th ... Neon 8th. PLEASE for the love of everything good in the world, don't compare a Neon to a Porsche.

Oh, and this Cox guy must not be too famous because I came up with nothing on Yahoo and I searched here too. I'm not going to waste my time trolling around on Neon forums looking up who he is.

5 8 Porsche 996 Twin Turbo SSGT1 6380
    Mark DaVia, Chuck Veth

6 5 Toyota Supra Turbo SSGT1 5945
    Andi Baritchi, Clint Pohler
    7 20 CHEVROLET CORVETTE ZR1 SSGT1 5665
    Scott Ahlgrim, Steve Ahlgrim
    8 52 Dodge SRT-4 MidPri Sed 5595
    2007 Space Grey w/ Coral BMW 335 Coupe

2002 Blue WRX 5 speed SOLD

1987 Grand National - sold
    -12.01@113

It did? I think two 911 Turbos finished about it. WTF are you talking about? (4th & 5th)

Not to mention, that one event doesn't mean all that much. I'm glad you take pride in magazine results, but educated car people don't.

Sorry man, but FWD is the worst setup for a car. Immediately you are limited because you're asking one set of wheels to do everything: accel, brake, and turn. It's fact, FWD is limiting. Period.
    Ultimately, the WRX provides a much better platform for building a true sports car.

One more comment, finishing in that 1 lap of America high means almost nothing. Who knows how many WRX's were entered and who drove and entered them. There are too many variables to make that one thing a reason to try and claim that the SRT4 is a better platform than a WRX.

Results: (notice 4th and 5th... if you're wrong about that, what else can you be wrong about?) lol
    TOP 10

1 2002 Chevrolet MTI Z07, SSGT1 Ronald Adee, John Myrick

2 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, SSGT1 John Boos, Ronald Marks

3 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10, SSGT1 David Zelkowski, Brian Smith

4 2001 Ruf RGT, SSGT1 Gary Church, Paul Gerrard

5 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo, SSGT1 Mark DaVia, Chuck Veth

6 1998 Toyota Supra Turbo, SSGT1 Andi Baritchi, Clint Pohler

7 1991 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1, SSGT1 Scott Ahlgrim, Steve Ahlgrim

8 2003 Dodge SRT-4, Mid-Price Sedan Cory O'Brien, Erich Heuschele

9 1996 Lamborghini Diablo, SSGT1 Karl H. Troy, Mike Appleby

10 2000 Audi S4 Quattro, Luxury Sedan Norman Babcock, Michael Babcock
    Scott in Houston

And all I ever see you posting is post bashing every car and/or particular posters. I contribute plenty, but then have to deal with a$$holes like you. I think youu are a complete a$$hole. Everytime I post anything remotely pro anything other than subaru, you come and bash me. Maybe you should open up YOUR mind and learn a thing or two other than the very limited things you already know about.

i actually like the SRT. it's a fast little number. you couldn't be more wrong. i'm a huge auto fan.

the problem is, i have very little respect for the "auto enthusiasts" who spend their entire membership in this particular forum. why don't you come talk engine peroformance? sanctioned racing? check out the exterior forum? "whenever you post something pro anything other than subaru" is ALWAYS. why join a subaru club to consistently be the antagonist?

i know why, because you're a troll, and you're only here to stir up sh!t, and make waves. what are you, 16 years old? you really like this? first it was the S4s, then the mustangs, now the SRT. go waste someone elses time.

oh, and i almost forgot, you shouldn't personally denegrate members. it's against the club rules. This might be your only warning, so cool your jets or TAKE OFF.

dR

Maybe you should open up YOUR mind and learn a thing or two other than the very limited things you already know about.
    be careful pal, you don't know me, and you CERTAINLY don't know how much i "know"

dR

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast