WRX vs. GTP

This is a discussion on WRX vs. GTP within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey im new here and i dont yet have a WRX but i am 5000 away from my goal to ...

WRX vs. GTP

hey im new here and i dont yet have a WRX but i am 5000 away from my goal to get a wrx. My friend has a 99 grand Prix GTP with only a supercharger pulley upgrade. that puts it at around 260 hp. How close would we be in a 1/4 race and maybe longer. thanks!!

p.s. these forums are great

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Fear the GTP! It would probably be somewhat close.

The new GTP's are pretty cool. I have heard about the WRX and the GTP being pretty close in 1/4 mile times.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

thanks for the replys guys. i guess well just have to wait and see who wins.

Sedan or coupe? Sedan weighs 3414lbs, coupe weighs 3396lbs. WRX (not STi) weighs 3100lbs. Probably a boost controller and a turbo-back exhaust would take care of the GTP.
    2003 WRX 5MT sedan

Re: WRX vs. GTP

Originally posted by bluescoobie
    hey im new here and i dont yet have a WRX but i am 5000 away from my goal to get a wrx. My friend has a 99 grand Prix GTP with only a supercharger pulley upgrade. that puts it at around 260 hp. How close would we be in a 1/4 race and maybe longer. thanks!!

p.s. these forums are great
    ill be the first to say it.. theres a WRX VS. the world section in these forums, so any racing related type stuff goes there.

and welcome to the club....

GTP is a high 14sec car stock, or low 15's with not so great tires.

the wrx is a faster car in the 1/4 mile being a low - mid 14sec car.
    his pulley is going to make him good for 14.5-14.7 (give or take a tenth). your CAR is still faster, but depending on your driving it could be very close, because wrx's run mid 14's more so than low 14's. I would say you could edge him out, but make sure you practice your launches. without your launch, you really dont have anything on him. they have lots of torque so he will keep up decently from the line, but from my experience they tend to die down around 60mph and only get worse the faster they go.

if you want a little extra security, get an uppipe and MBC and then he should be a problem at all, and thats >$300 in mods.

thanks alot for the help guys. ill put any other wrx vs... theads in there. thanks for the hints!

it would be a good race

My friend has a GTP with pully, catback, down pipe, plugs, wires, ecu, fuel computer, cam.....and a couple other things, it should be able to put down some good numbers this summer.

I raced him when he had a pully, cat back, down pipe, plugs and wires and i have a mbc set to 15psi and i could pull very little on him on the highway and at the track we lined up 3 times and it was over before the 60' mark My 13.55-13.65 to his 13.70-13.80.

But this summer it's gonna be fast and i'll probably be no match for it .

steve
    2002 SRP WRX Sold .......i need another wrx
    13.3 @99mph with a mbc

03 Honda Element
    1992 Civic hb W/B20 SOLD

WRX vs. GTP

If the 3.4 pulley is his only mod he's not going to do much better than stock. He doesn't have the supporting mods for it so he might gain a small amount of torque in the lower rpm's.

He'll be getting a load of knock retard up top so I think you should be able to take him.

FYI I went 14.2 with k&n, plugs, 3.4 pulley.
    Last edited by 2HiPsi; 03-21-2004 at 01:30 PM.
    1998 Grand Prix GTP
    13.605 @ 107.33 mph

INTENSE, Inc.

I've beat gtp's with chip, pulley and exhaust when I was stock, but only up to like 70 then i shut down and i had a car or so on him. In a full quarter it would have been close, he probably would have won.
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby