STi vs. ...nothing in particular?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on STi vs. ...nothing in particular? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Okay, this might turn out to be a long story, so bear with me. It starts last Tuesday, where I ...

STi vs. ...nothing in particular?

Okay, this might turn out to be a long story, so bear with me. It starts last Tuesday, where I get something like the flu. Blah blah blah...it's Friday and I'm over all but the cough, which gets really bad. Wake up Saturday, can't pressurize ears, turns out one is badly infected and I've lost hearing in my left ear. Fun times. Anyways...

A friend and I are watching a boring movie and decide to go out and check out funky looking houses in the area, then end up just seeing where roads go. Takes forever but it's a lot of fun. Also means we were usually under the speed limit.

Before leaving, I told my friend some stupid ass would probably try to race us at SOME point, even if we're not interested.

And so coming back into Florence, we're just taking it easy, maybe 30% throttle, shift at 4000 RPM, cruise at 5 over. So some guy in what looks to be a newish Z28 gets next to us and stares. I wouldn't know if he revved or anything because it's my left ear I can't hear out of...and I wouldn't care if he did anyways. So we turn onto Florence Blvd and this guy paces us to the next light. Because I was close enough, I had to hit the brakes fairly hard and stopped just over the line...then he copies but from further behind. Then some old truck with megaphone exhaust tips comes flying up and slams his brakes to come to a stop next to us just before the light changes. I tell my friend these guys are probably gonna try to race us, even though we aren't gonna bite.

Lo and behold, I get rolling easy and into 2nd gear and the truck punches it, then the Camaro punches it and comes into my lane after him. To be honest, neither was particularly fast. Had I opted to, I would have embarassed them both quite badly. I wasn't impressed. Anyways...they keep doing like that while we just cruise along and use traffic to go around them, laughing AT them for being idiots.

I'm somewhat hoping they go post an STi kill on a forum somewhere so I can make them look even more like idiots... Anyways, I found this highly amusing that two people with slow vehicles and can't drive to save their lives were trying to instigate races with a car that would have raped them sideways and kicked them into next week. Very cute. Of course, they could just show up at the track sometime. I'll run anyone.

EDIT: Given past problems, I'll clear up a few things. Camaro was the wedge shaped newish (not newest) design with square headlights. NOT an LS1. Keep in mind that the VAST majority of Z28's were NOT LS1's. If I ever run an LS1, I will specify. Otherwise, it's safe to assume I ran the MUCH more common LT1. Also, please note that I am assuming anyone reading this is intelligent enough and educated enough to recognize storytelling language. This actually happened but I use LANGUAGE to describe it and make it more interesting with my thoughts. In real life, I'm very shy and very quiet. I hope this clears things up for most people.

RN
    Last edited by renichms; 03-14-2004 at 09:08 AM.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

no offense, but if that was a real Z28, it would of gave u a good run. An LS1 Z28 can trap in the 106-108 range, so although u would rape him off the line, at higher speeds he would reel you in, or at the very least keep up with you very well. So i dont think its fair for you to say that you would rape him, hehe. Regardless, i dont think there is any problem with them trying to race you, im sure it was just for some fun. I do respect you not racing them, but i dont think that you should have this crazy "my car is so much faster and superior attitude", because even though your car might be faster, there is nothing wrong with someone slower racing you to see how they stack up! Anyways, hope you dont take offense, laterz.

Bobby D

Perceive an attitude if you want. Had it been an LS1, I would have said "new" or otherwise specified. Let's see...he had a lot of stickers, stock exhaust...yep...that LT1 would reel me in hardcore. He could have stuff done I don't see but I don't care. Given his driving I actually saw, yes, I would have raped him and I absolutely stand by that statement. Bring him to the track and the result will be the same.

I'll street race but not through town and not in traffic. It better be isolated and safe.

So anyways...that's still the story, what did happen and would have happened. I posted because I found their inability to drive and their childishness to be amusing, that's all. Also, since I posted this on a local forum, I'm hoping to turn them out at a local track. Whether to race or just show them a much better place to race doesn't matter. Although, the NEAREST track does kinda suck... No way around the water and they don't EVER clean it, so old rubber has built it like mad. I found out wet tires combined with old rubber don't mix well for a good 60'.

But I'm sorry if I came across as having a bad attitude. I really don't have one...that's just storytelling and what this section is for.

RN
    Last edited by renichms; 03-14-2004 at 09:12 AM.

Good story, thanks for the disclaimer. It sucks when you aren't feeling well and have no desire to race, or have a passenger that won't tolerate it, or when you are trying to transport precariously loaded cargo such as a jumbo sized soft drink in the "beverage launcher" that is so cleverly disguised as a cupholder located by our airvents... Only to have some guy or gal pull up next to you wanting to get a taste of what you got. I'll usually make eye contact and just smile and shake my head to politely decline their offer. And then remember them for next time...

I recall the days, however, when I wasn't so fortunate to have one of the fastest cars in town, and always found it fun to run obviously faster cars. I try not to take a high and mighty attitude to lesser vehicles or drivers, since I realize most of us are just having some fun with the car we each happen to be behind the wheel of at the time. After all, there's always someone a bit higher up on the food chain than each of us.

Even if I'm tooling around in the Hawk, I'll still run with a "lowly" STi... And I'll find a way to use the following quote as well when retelling the encounter: "To be honest, [it wasn't] particularly fast. Had I opted to, I would have embarassed [him] quite badly. I wasn't impressed."

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    Good story, thanks for the disclaimer. It sucks when you aren't feeling well and have no desire to race, or have a passenger that won't tolerate it, or when you are trying to transport precariously loaded cargo such as a jumbo sized soft drink in the "beverage launcher" that is so cleverly disguised as a cupholder located by our airvents... Only to have some guy or gal pull up next to you wanting to get a taste of what you got. I'll usually make eye contact and just smile and shake my head to politely decline their offer. And then remember them for next time...

I recall the days, however, when I wasn't so fortunate to have one of the fastest cars in town, and always found it fun to run obviously faster cars. I try not to take a high and mighty attitude to lesser vehicles or drivers, since I realize most of us are just having some fun with the car we each happen to be behind the wheel of at the time. After all, there's always someone a bit higher up on the food chain than each of us.

Even if I'm tooling around in the Hawk, I'll still run with a "lowly" STi... And I'll find a way to use the following quote as well when retelling the encounter: "To be honest, [it wasn't] particularly fast. Had I opted to, I would have embarassed [him] quite badly. I wasn't impressed."
    Thanks...works for me. I try to make sure people know I don't have any attitude...it's simply storytelling.

If I'm ever out being an ass in my car, trying to get people to race (even though it isn't gonna happen), I couldn't object to someone writing up something embarassing about it. For example, if you and I were out in our cars, and I was being an ass, I'd hope you'd be a good enough story teller to make me seem at least as stupid as I acted. With time, I may learn not to post these though, since most people don't understand what storytelling is.

I'm hoping the post on the local forum draws the guy out so he'll quit trying to street race on roads with heavy traffic, in the middle of town (also the most heavily patrolled road) and will instead come to one of the nearby tracks. I'll run there even if I lose.

Oh, and about the cupholder...GEEZ, I have a seemingly permanent spot down the side of the console from cans splashing, even when not driving hard.

RN

Geeze this whole post really hurt my slow n' cant drive but still love to instigate faster cars feelings...

smoked by a talon TSi

It's all in good fun........ But believe it or not I get alot of jackasses trying to race me at lights just because my truck says hemi on the side...whoopdedoo...It gets old, driving a fairly average truck that people who dont know any better percieve as special, or maybe just want to prove its not ..its been making me rethink getting an STi that screams RACE ME

Originally posted by WannaSTi04
    Geeze this whole post really hurt my slow n' cant drive but still love to instigate faster cars feelings...

smoked by a talon TSi

It's all in good fun........ But believe it or not I get alot of jackasses trying to race me at lights just because my truck says hemi on the side...whoopdedoo...It gets old, driving a fairly average truck that people who dont know any better percieve as special, or maybe just want to prove its not ..its been making me rethink getting an STi that screams RACE ME
    Yeah...not long after getting the STi, if friends and I wanted to go out and do something, we usually ended up taking someone else's car just to avoid people trying to race us. Same thing happened with my PT since it was set up for show. Same thing happens with my brother's WRX wagon. Oh well. I'm learning to live with it...just like above, by not racing them. And although I will race every now and then, I prefer the track because you can go all out without worrying about police and it's safer...so if they want to race, I'd be glad to at the track.

But as far as people picking you out for stuff like racing...I feel ya, man. If you're considering an STi, don't let irresponsible people, immature people or just punks dissuade you. It'd be YOUR car and it's a LOT of fun to drive. The example I wrote up here is much worse than usual. Normally, they don't follow me around or veer into my lane when they take off. Usually it's a few revs, then they try to go find someone else.

RN

I raced nobody once. I won @155MPH. STI'z rawk!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.