Z28 Encounter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Z28 Encounter within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was driving Shane back to his place last night and was driving back home. I'm coming down Upper Roswell ...

Z28 Encounter

I was driving Shane back to his place last night and was driving back home. I'm coming down Upper Roswell and and I see some headlights coming up behind me not too fast but definitely faster than I'm driving. Speed limit is 45mph and I'm going 50mph and the guy in the back is probably doing 60mph. As the car passes me I looked over and it was some older guy ( 40-50 ) driving a Z28. I was like ... humm maybe we'll get a light but will he race me? Also I reset my ECU earlier this morning thus I'm NOT going to get full power so should I even try? Well lucky me at the next light we were the first 2 cars and no cops around. Light goes green and I start as normal and just as I start he jumps it. Well I wanna see how we do in a nonlaunch match so I gun it too. The Z28 is already 1/2 a car ahead and he hits his limiter because I can hear his engine ... I'm assuming he was too surprised that some car w/ a roof rack was able to sit right next to him at a roll. While he is realizing all this ... maybe 1-1.5 seconds ... I'm already in 2nd and I pull 1/2+ car and now I'm right next to him and a "little" in front of him. We both see a car in front of me in my lane and since I wasn't pulling "hard" as normal the guy in the Z28 and I realized this and we both shut down. The Z28 was making sure I could cut into his lane if needed but I just slowed down. I was trying to catch up to talk to him but there were other stupid "SUVs" blocking both lanes. I HATE big cars.
    Overall I was NOT impressed but it was a learning factory ... umm never race especially if your ECU was just reset. I expected to pull on him hard but I could feel my car was doing it's normal thing. I didn't feel like launching but at a "street race" it's determined in the first second or two. Next time I'll know and just have to learn. Next time.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Question MBC info

chuglobal, what brand MBC are you using. i had a Z28 in front of me and i could not get around him, stayed at his rear bumper and i noticed i can't get mine to keep the 16psi boost. if i set it higher then i hit the fuel cut off on the expressway if i get on it? thanx for any help..

im not suprised

A LS1 z28 is not much slower than a corvette, u should be happy that u can keep up with him rolling, they have LOTS of power if they roll. Now if u raced him from a stop, i would guess that you should take him in the 1/4...chu...but im sure he would be right on your bumper.

-bobby d

I hafta say, I'm a bit surprised at the trouble you've had with Z28's. I haven't raced one in the Rex yet, but I smoked one in my old car (2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP- modded to about 280 hp), and I KNOW my WRX is faster than the GTP, so I guess I can assume I'd smoke a Z28 with the Subaru too. I guess it's always possible that the guy in the Z28 wasn't a great driver in my case- as my grandfather used to say, "The biggest mechanical problem with cars is always the nut behind the wheel".

Yo

I think my main problem was the ECU reset so if I see another one around I will have to redeem myself.
    2004 STI White/Gold

Z28's...

yea i think the one i had trouble with might have been a little more than stock. the only other Z28 i played with never got more than a car length.. this one had about 2 or so but never pulled any more..must get up-pipe done...damn

hey chug,

Can you give just a short little review of the kartboy shifter/bushings combo? I was thinking about getting it as the stock wrx shifter is so long and squishy.

Thanks!
    New:
    2005 Electric Blue Lancer Evo VIII

Traded:
    Platinum Silver 02 WRX
    TurboXS stage2

Great story! Your posts are always well written and informative. I'm a fan what can I say not to mention all the mods. When can we see a pic of the whole car? Later bro.

Pete
    Blitz Turbo Timer, TurboXS mbc, uppipe, Samco intercooler hoses, TurboXS Unichip (stage 1), TurboXS intake, Vishnu downpipe.

Yo

Sorry to disappoint everyone but I haven't had any "encounters" recently. It's getting boring since I have no one to race nor any DRAGON meets. I haven't done any more mods either since there's really nothing I really want. I haven't disappeared just no new stories.
    2004 STI White/Gold

str
    I have the Karboy shifter and bushings and I love it. It is way better than the stock setup and the throw is nice and short and smooth. It is definetly worth the price and install is a breeze.
    2004 Black Forester XT

Yo

The Kartboy is definitely shorter however my tranny has never felt as clean as everyone else even compared to those w/ the same setup. Weird? I don't think the bushing did that must for me but my tranny has never felt clean.
    2004 STI White/Gold

The Kartboy is definitely shorter however my tranny has never felt as clean as everyone else even compared to those w/ the same setup. Weird? I don't think the bushing did that must for me but my tranny has never felt clean.
    Have you tried loosening the bolt that connects the shifter to the fork? When I first got my Kartboy I did not like the stiffness of the shifting...it took too much force to get into gear (any gear). I switched back to the stock shifter and the shifting felt much smoother, but of course, the throw now felt too long. I finally reinstalled the KB, but this time didn't snug the nut on as tight. Now throws are both short and smooth.

Just a thought.

Bill

Humm ...

Never thought about that ... maybe I should give it a try. How would the tightness of the volt that connects the shifter to the fork affect how it shifts? I think I'll do that tonight after work. I'll let u guys know. Thanks.
    2004 STI White/Gold

It doesn't affects the actual shifting so much as just lessening the friction at the pivot point between the shifter and the fork. If the bolt is on really tight then any fore-aft movement is going to be stiffer due to that increase in friction at the pivot point.

Bill

Yo

Well I've lossened the bolt and will post an update later today once I've actually drove w/ it. My tranny has always been really notchy ... weird. It was only notchy after the Kartboy SS install? I have felt other people's SS and they feel fine.
    2004 STI White/Gold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast