How will a Cobb stage1/ stage2 stack up against a stock EVO...???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on How will a Cobb stage1/ stage2 stack up against a stock EVO...??? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; OK, I just ordered my cobb accessport stage1 and i have one goal... to be able to embarass an EVO ...

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar

Question How will a Cobb stage1/ stage2 stack up against a stock EVO...???

OK, I just ordered my cobb accessport stage1 and i have one goal... to be able to embarass an EVO VIII. My friend just picked one up and he is cool about it, no bragging etc. But most all EVO drivers in my area are cocky as all hell and I would like nothing better than to walk all over them. I also have two friends, one w/ a 350 hp Integra (no LSD) and another w/ a soon-to-be turbo 240sx. I NEED to be FASTER!!! So my questions are, how will I fair against all three cars with a cobb stage1 and or stage2+??? Cobb claims a 0-60 of 4.6 w/ the stage2... Will I be good w/ just a stage1 against the EVO? What will I need to take the Integra?
    *1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    PICS & MODS <- Built by XX Tuning
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would say you would stand a better chance aginst the Teg, with a Stage 2. Seeing that he has no LSD he's prolly going to have some massive Torque steer, assuming it's from a stop.

I am not the most knowledgeable person on this, but that's my best guess anyway.

Anymore info on the 240sx though?

Official ClubWRX arms dealer SOUTHPAW's Avatar
    The 240 is a 97 or 98. Stock block with a bolt on Greddy turbo kit, FMIC etc. Supposedly a "BIG" turbo pushing 6-8 lbs. and making 250-350 hp??? Also, he will have no LSD. It should be done by the first of May and thats when i should be stage1. I probably wont have my stage2 untill June/July... The Integra is what I'm really worried about, he supposedly can "blow the doors off" of a 5.8 BUILT mustang around here that pushes 300-400 hp. I dont beleive it though....
    *1969 Camaro - Kickin' It Old School
    PICS & MODS

*2005 Corvette C6 - A few APS bolt-ons
    *2003 Subaru WRX - 332 AWHP - SOLD

FWIW.. I have heard that a decent Stage 2 setup can hang with or even beat a stock Evo. But it's close enough that it's all up to the drivers.

I've got Stage 2 on miy car... I dunno what they do to get 0-60 in 4.6, but that sounds either optomistic or abusive.

And yeah, I like to toy with Hondas as much as the next guy.... heck I even surprised a Z28 the other day..... but I do what I do to my car for ME.. not the other guy. I take off at a green light like a bat out of hell whether it's a riced out Civic or someone's Grandma in a 81 Zephyr... I do it because I like to feel the seat pressed against my butt.

Have fun, be careful.

fre
    With a stage 1 probably not, but with a full stage 2 you have a good chance. I noticed similar power when driving my car when I had a stage 2 cobb and then a stock evo on 91 octane right after it. Now with my stage4 it would probably be depressing getting into a stock evo. The Sti on the other hand was a totally different beast. It seems to pull slightly better than my car at stage 4, but for shorter bursts (gearing). I also noticed it drops off towards redline more than my car (normal for stock setups I guess).
    Last edited by fre; 03-12-2004 at 08:42 AM.

I'm in a similar situation as you also. I'm waiting for my Access Port to come, probably not until April. I'm considered a stage 1 so I'm interested to see what kind of gains I'll see. Eventually I'll move to stage 2

I guess my rival will be my brother's s2000. We've actually never really had any good races. Maybe one or two short races from a rolling start where he's able to pull me by the top of third gear. I don't really expect the stage 1 to give me a whole bunch of power but I would hope it will let me give my bro a little more to worry about

a EVO on 91...not good..... car feels like a dog... now with 93 or higher it its another game.... i think you will have a good chance with the EVO... thats gonna be a drivers race

the integra... he's probably wanna go from a roll.... a bullit stang is not fast.... so don't worry and if he is make "? hp" he gotta get traction first.

the 240.. he's probably gonna wanna go from a roll too.... but once he hooks up... its gonna be nasty... if he can drive thats gonna be a good run.
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

Over on the cobb forum.. a lot of people claiming to have kills on stock evos with their stage 2. Even some slightly moded ones. Probably more or less a driver race though.
    03' WRB WRX, 5spd
    AccessPort w/ VF34 (PDX Tuning map)
    Cobbtuning Intake
    TXS Catless StealthBack /w Stromung XA
    Nino's Uppipe
    Samco I/C Hoses

yeah, ive seen too many evos run high 14's an even into the 15's, wrxs too. but i do know what evos capable of. But stock, with a good driver, you pull a 14.3 an chances are you can get one.

gfx
    I have cobb stage 1 and from a roll I was dead even with an EVO.
    2003 5MT WRB WRX Sedan
    -
    Cobb stage 2.5 w/ VF30, Stoptech BBK, JDM STI front/rear seats, Mattjk LCD setup, JDM headlights w/ McColluch 6000k HIDs, GReddy EVO, 17x8" Gold Rota Torques, Eibach Pro-kit
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/gfxwrx

My car shots taken with my Canon 300D dSLR

just to show you how big of a difference gas makes went ot he track the first tme with 91 in the tank... place iwas didn't have 93 my best time was a 13.8 the second time i went with 93 and a gas can filled with more 93 and ran a 13.1... the 91 causes the ecu to pull timing..... i still think a stg 2 cobb can hang.. but its up to the driver.
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

I have Cobb stage 2 and I got destroyed by my bro's EVO from a 2nd gear roll. From the stop, we were pretty even.
    And I also lost to my friend's supercharged Type R with 210 whp, but that thing only weighs about 2400 lbs.

I've pulled some 13.6's with my Evo. It was stock save for the stainless clutch line. I've heard of other Evo drivers going low 13's on a constant basis. If you can do that well, you can probably take them, unless the Evo driver has a bad launch or misses 2nd as is known to happen...
    -Kramit
    '03 EvoVIII (Apex Silver)

A Cobb stage 2 should hang close to a stock EVO in a straight line. You'll have a lot more work to do if you want to be able to keep up in the twisties.

Enjoy the modding!

Originally posted by Kramit
    I've pulled some 13.6's with my Evo. It was stock save for the stainless clutch line. I've heard of other Evo drivers going low 13's on a constant basis. If you can do that well, you can probably take them, unless the Evo driver has a bad launch or misses 2nd as is known to happen...
    Stock EVO times are all over the map from very low 13's (even one I know of at a 12.99) to high 14's/low 15's.

My personal car I intentionally bought a demo modle with 2000 miles on it because I KNOW I will be replacing/beafing up anything that could have been abused by people doing test drives and I was able to get two grand off the sticker price.

Bone stock my clutch was already wasted by the aformentioned test drivers and if I launched the car at all the damn thing slipped for the entire 1/4 mile. This resulted in a low 14 at 96 mph.

Now I have a cusco twin disk CF clutch and the track is about to open.....

Keith

PS: Dynoed at 232 HP at the wheels bone stock on a dynapack AWD dyno.... what does the cob stage 2 get you HP wise on that same dyno?
    Miss the wifes WRX, but love my Ralliart!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.