What do you think? My modded maxima VS a WRX - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 44 of 44

This is a discussion on What do you think? My modded maxima VS a WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just called my firend who is trying to set this race up and he told me the guy with ...

  1. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    19
    I just called my firend who is trying to set this race up and he told me the guy with the WRX never got in touch with him

    So the race is definatly not happining today
    2002 6spd maxima. All motor
    13.88 @ 101.7 MPH 230WHP/230WTQ

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Delray Beach, Fl. USA
    Posts
    446
    I think the race will come down to the driver up to 100mph.

    My other car is a slightly modded bare bones 99 Max SE 5spd ( jwt intake/cattman y pipe/stillen cat back exhaust/stillen stage 3 brake package/stillen frt strut tower brace/cattman rear anti roll bar) and it is a very good straight line match against a stock wrx unless the wrx launches right. I have run a couple of new max 6spds and I beat them both handily. My max weighs about 10lbs less than the wrx and with the mods is making around the same flywheel hp. The difference is really in the launch..the max will burn up the tire for as long as you hold the pedal down on a hard launch. My next mod to it will be a LSD to help out with that. If I dont do a good 4-5krpm clutch drop/roll with the wrx and just take off from idle, the max is pretty much even, just a little bit back of the wrx. If I launched right with the wrx, the max never catches up. Now that my wrx has a few tweaks, it is no contest of course.
    Last edited by twinz; 06-24-2002 at 10:54 AM.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

  4. #33
    str
    str is offline
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    DE
    Posts
    543
    This should be a good race. If the WRX gets a good launch he will definetly take you by a little bit up to 60. However, Maxima's can really roll at speeds past 80mph so it should be close either way. Make sure you post the results.

  5. #34
    Moderator Penguinking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    Posts
    2,472
    I Support ClubWRX
    indeed. don't mess up. you and your car's reputation are on the line here. and so is ClubWRX's. you represent clubwrx. spread the word! whua whua!
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

  6. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    19
    Originally posted by twinz
    I think the race will come down to the driver up to 100mph.

    My other car is a slightly modded bare bones 99 Max SE 5spd ( jwt intake/cattman y pipe/stillen cat back exhaust/stillen stage 3 brake package/stillen frt strut tower brace/cattman rear anti roll bar) and it is a very good straight line match against a stock wrx unless the wrx launches right. I have run a couple of new max 6spds and I beat them both handily. My max weighs about 10lbs less than the wrx and with the mods is making around the same flywheel hp. The difference is really in the launch..the max will burn up the tire for as long as you hold the pedal down on a hard launch. My next mod to it will be a LSD to help out with that. If I dont do a good 4-5krpm clutch drop/roll with the wrx and just take off from idle, the max is pretty much even, just a little bit back of the wrx. If I launched right with the wrx, the max never catches up. Now that my wrx has a few tweaks, it is no contest of course.
    Nice max you have there. Before my 2002 I had 98 5spd Infiniti I30T. I put a Stillen Super charger on there and a ton of other stuff I would love to race the WRX with that car, it would be no contest. BTW as you probably know cattman.com has a HLSD for you 99, it's made by qualfe (S?).

    Have you ever taken your 99 max to the track? Theres a few guys with your setup that run in the 14.4 - 14.8 range, theres one 14.2 actually.
    2002 6spd maxima. All motor
    13.88 @ 101.7 MPH 230WHP/230WTQ

  7. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Delray Beach, Fl. USA
    Posts
    446
    Originally posted by Emax02


    Nice max you have there. Before my 2002 I had 98 5spd Infiniti I30T. I put a Stillen Super charger on there and a ton of other stuff I would love to race the WRX with that car, it would be no contest. BTW as you probably know cattman.com has a HLSD for you 99, it's made by qualfe (S?).

    Have you ever taken your 99 max to the track? Theres a few guys with your setup that run in the 14.4 - 14.8 range, theres one 14.2 actually.
    Have not taken the max to the track but based on how it runs against my wrx, the 14.4-14.5 bracket is where its at. Yeah, I am going to get the quaiffe diff for the max..I was getting it in preparation for the stillen supercharger, but the wrx has been taking priority on my wallet since I picked her up.

    I will definitely do the supercharger on the max once I have finished up the wrx..still have to get teins and turboxs stage 4 or 5 done first...too much to do and not enough spare $
    Last edited by twinz; 06-24-2002 at 01:37 PM.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

  8. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    19
    Originally posted by twinz


    Have not taken the max to the track but based on how it runs against my wrx, the 14.4-14.5 bracket is where its at. Yeah, I am going to get the quaiffe diff for the max..I was getting it in preparation for the stillen supercharger, but the wrx has been taking priority on my wallet since I picked her up.

    I will definitely do the supercharger on the max once I have finished up the wrx..still have to get teins and turboxs stage 4 or 5 done first...too much to do and not enough spare $
    Cool, make sure you put a smaller pulley on the blower I know a lot of guys who run a 3.25' pulley with great results. I had a 3.48 pulley (stock = 3.65). Check out www.maxima.org if you've never been there.
    2002 6spd maxima. All motor
    13.88 @ 101.7 MPH 230WHP/230WTQ

  9. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Delray Beach, Fl. USA
    Posts
    446
    Originally posted by Emax02


    Cool, make sure you put a smaller pulley on the blower I know a lot of guys who run a 3.25' pulley with great results. I had a 3.48 pulley (stock = 3.65). Check out www.maxima.org if you've never been there.
    Cool! thanks for the pulley info, much appreciated. ..have not been out to maxima.org in quite awhile, the WRX has been all consuming passion since I picked it up. With what I still have planned for the WRX, it looks like next spring will be fun time for the max...unless of course the STI or EVO show up, My wife wants either one so the max may go. But, I have to say, my Max has been the most reliable car I have ever owned in 26 years of car ownership. period. Absolutely nothing has ever gone wrong with that car..perfect, no squeaks or rattles, excellent build quality...and nissan makes the best v6 on the planet imho.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

  10. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    oakland, ca
    Posts
    6
    being the new maximas (and the older ones for that matter) have a lot in common with my engine. i drive a modded 1992 ford taurus SHO 5 speed. i'm sorry, but small displacement NA engines such as ours are fairly optimized already. there are not many mods short of boost, cams, or bore that is going to make a huge difference at the track.

    my car stock put down 185 HP to the front wheels, now it's around 208 HP to the front wheels (same mods on other shos get this number - haven't dynoed my car yet). my engine mods are a sho shop y-pipe with high flow cats, sho shop CAI, billet aluminum UDPS, pro flow 80mm MAF, edlebrock rpm exhaust. i'd bet that with my 20 added some odd front wheel hp (around 250 HP at the crank), i maybe only picked up a couple of tenths in the 1/4 mile. wanna know why? b/c HP is merely a mathematical equation for torque at a high rpms. TORQUE is what wins drag races. my torque only went up a couple lbs. and that is only at higher rpms. under 4K, my torque is stock!

    so, what's the point of all this? well, big V8 engines like the LS1 and even 5.0s have a lot of room for improvement, so mods make a bigger difference to optimize their displacement.

    so, in the end if you throw every bolt on mod on a 2002 maxima, you will see higher traps (a couple of miles/hr), but maybe 2 tenths quicker on your et.

    my .02,
    Robby
    92 SHO MTX
    silver on gray with all options
    ss y-pipe with high flow cats
    SS UDPs
    SS CAI
    PRO M 80 MAF
    kyb struts
    sho shop motor mounts
    edelbrock RPM exhaust with 3.5"
    beveled chrome tips
    shonut aluminum sub frame bushings
    26mm rear sway bar
    shop shop sub frame connectors

  11. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    19
    Originally posted by centaurus3200
    being the new maximas (and the older ones for that matter) have a lot in common with my engine. i drive a modded 1992 ford taurus SHO 5 speed. i'm sorry, but small displacement NA engines such as ours are fairly optimized already. there are not many mods short of boost, cams, or bore that is going to make a huge difference at the track.

    my car stock put down 185 HP to the front wheels, now it's around 208 HP to the front wheels (same mods on other shos get this number - haven't dynoed my car yet). my engine mods are a sho shop y-pipe with high flow cats, sho shop CAI, billet aluminum UDPS, pro flow 80mm MAF, edlebrock rpm exhaust. i'd bet that with my 20 added some odd front wheel hp (around 250 HP at the crank), i maybe only picked up a couple of tenths in the 1/4 mile. wanna know why? b/c HP is merely a mathematical equation for torque at a high rpms. TORQUE is what wins drag races. my torque only went up a couple lbs. and that is only at higher rpms. under 4K, my torque is stock!

    so, what's the point of all this? well, big V8 engines like the LS1 and even 5.0s have a lot of room for improvement, so mods make a bigger difference to optimize their displacement.

    so, in the end if you throw every bolt on mod on a 2002 maxima, you will see higher traps (a couple of miles/hr), but maybe 2 tenths quicker on your et.

    my .02,
    Robby
    The 95-99 maximas with basic bolt on's gain about .6-.8 tenths in the quater mile and about 5-6 MPH trap speed. With all the basic bolt on's (IE. Intake- Y-pipe, cat, cat-back and UDP) a 2002 maxima picks up about 30 FWHP. 30 HP is pretty darn good if you ask me. But anyways cars that come with boost stock definatly are much easier to mod. After I get my Y-pipe on I expect atleast 230 FWHP, 240 FWTQ and traps of over 100 MPH. In a little bit I will have proof

    BTW I raced a stock 95 SHO in my NA modded 95 5spd maxima. We raced from 0-100 and I put about 3 cars on him. But mod for mod and driver for driver where a good match up and both cars have a awesome engine! BTW have you been to track with your car?
    2002 6spd maxima. All motor
    13.88 @ 101.7 MPH 230WHP/230WTQ

  12. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    19
    Originally posted by ElectronBlueSi
    i've only spent 50 bucks on mods, so basically im stock. i'll race you. where do you live?

    peace
    joe
    I'm from R.I.

    Our race is not going to happen this week. My friend thinks therguy with the WRX is afraid, hehe, not that he should me Ohh well, when the race goes done I will let you guys know how it went.
    2002 6spd maxima. All motor
    13.88 @ 101.7 MPH 230WHP/230WTQ

  13. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    oakland, ca
    Posts
    6
    hi emax,

    help me out here. where can i find pics of the intake and exhaust mods for the max? i would like to compare them to the sho shop (shoshop.com) mods. shos are kind of a mystery. stock they are in the 185 HP range, with stage I mods, the are in the 208 HP range (to the wheels of course), yet i still see stage I shos in the 14.7-14.9@95 range. the only reason i can see is the car is so hard to launch right. either bog or spin. my guess is that is due to the fact the car weighs 3400 lbs (genII - 89-91 are 3100-3300). with sticky tires (like drag radials), stage I shos are 14.5 second cars. but you gotta work to get it there. without the drag radials, the bastard will spin when you shift as well!

    my guess is that the fact that the car has an open dif and weighs 30 lbs more than the 95-99 maxes is why they are by and large one or two tenths behind in the quarter (intake/exhaust mods seem to get around 14.3-14.5 et in 95-2001 maxes,right?).

    i mean, if a sho puts down 208 HP and does not get at least mid 14s (redlines at 7300rpms - chipped is 8K), it would have to be driver error, right? traps for the mid 14 sec. shos are 96-97 b/c the only way to launch the dang thing is with drag radials with lowered tire pressure (lower traps). i'd love to lighten my car to max weight, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the car. comfortable and fast, you know?

    email me (centaurus3200@yahoo.com) or join the shoforum.com if you want to talk. don't want to waste the wrx guys time.

    see ya,
    Robby
    92 SHO MTX
    silver on gray with all options
    ss y-pipe with high flow cats
    SS UDPs
    SS CAI
    PRO M 80 MAF
    kyb struts
    sho shop motor mounts
    edelbrock RPM exhaust with 3.5"
    beveled chrome tips
    shonut aluminum sub frame bushings
    26mm rear sway bar
    shop shop sub frame connectors

  14. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    19
    Originally posted by centaurus3200
    hi emax,

    help me out here. where can i find pics of the intake and exhaust mods for the max? i would like to compare them to the sho shop (shoshop.com) mods. shos are kind of a mystery. stock they are in the 185 HP range, with stage I mods, the are in the 208 HP range (to the wheels of course), yet i still see stage I shos in the 14.7-14.9@95 range. the only reason i can see is the car is so hard to launch right. either bog or spin. my guess is that is due to the fact the car weighs 3400 lbs (genII - 89-91 are 3100-3300). with sticky tires (like drag radials), stage I shos are 14.5 second cars. but you gotta work to get it there. without the drag radials, the bastard will spin when you shift as well!

    my guess is that the fact that the car has an open dif and weighs 30 lbs more than the 95-99 maxes is why they are by and large one or two tenths behind in the quarter (intake/exhaust mods seem to get around 14.3-14.5 et in 95-2001 maxes,right?).

    i mean, if a sho puts down 208 HP and does not get at least mid 14s (redlines at 7300rpms - chipped is 8K), it would have to be driver error, right? traps for the mid 14 sec. shos are 96-97 b/c the only way to launch the dang thing is with drag radials with lowered tire pressure (lower traps). i'd love to lighten my car to max weight, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the car. comfortable and fast, you know?

    email me (centaurus3200@yahoo.com) or join the shoforum.com if you want to talk. don't want to waste the wrx guys time.

    see ya,
    Robby
    If you want to see pics of our mods check out maxima.org under links and then homepages. There you will find a lot of pics of our cars with mods.

    With a 95-01 maxima mid 14's with bolts on's is about average with a real good driver. There are plenty of guys who run high 14's and low 15's too. It really depends on the track and driver.

    Max's are very hard to launch too especially the 2002's. I have about 220 FWTQ at idle so I have to be very carefull off the line, 2nd spins pretty hard and 3rd always lets out a nice chirp .

    If you have more questions feel free to email me: emax1995@yahoo.com . Yep I use to have a 95 too, lol
    2002 6spd maxima. All motor
    13.88 @ 101.7 MPH 230WHP/230WTQ

  15. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    oakland, ca
    Posts
    6
    oops, i meant that shos weight 300 punds more than maximas, not 30.
    92 SHO MTX
    silver on gray with all options
    ss y-pipe with high flow cats
    SS UDPs
    SS CAI
    PRO M 80 MAF
    kyb struts
    sho shop motor mounts
    edelbrock RPM exhaust with 3.5"
    beveled chrome tips
    shonut aluminum sub frame bushings
    26mm rear sway bar
    shop shop sub frame connectors

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •