What do you think? My modded maxima VS a WRX - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on What do you think? My modded maxima VS a WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by PlatinumWRX Respectfully, I would eat your Maxima for breakfast. -Jim Respectfully, so will I. Respectfully, a mildly ...

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    Respectfully,

I would eat your Maxima for breakfast.

-Jim
    Respectfully, so will I.

Respectfully, a mildly modded WRX, IMHO with a good launch, no bogging, will also. If you are racing on the street and you actually get up to 100 then you might reel in on him, but beating him? I dont think so. But thats my opinion. And I dont usually race to those speeds. But who knows, anything can happen!

And please bless us with the results when you finally get down to business.

Safe racing

FACTION
    /:

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

PlatinumWRX...just dont ever run into this maxima ;)

Emax...

I think you have a pretty damn good chance against that WRX. Ive seen my friends race their WRX's against cars that are supposed to be slower such as SSEI's and those cars kept right up with them cause the WRX's couldnt get a 1-2 car lead on them from the start. It all depends on what kinda start the WRX gets. I raced a corvette, 2002 6 speed, and i got a 2 car length jump on it, we stopped at the end of 3rd gear, which is 90+ and i was still about half a car ahead. The vette wasnt even really pulling, im sure if i put it into 4th, he would have slaughtered me, but he still wouldnt have caught up till 100+ i would imagine. All i have done is 2 cat's removed. WRX's are not fast in stock form, ive gotten blown away by stock Cobra's like i was standing still when i was stock. But with just those 2 mods, which cost me about 450$, i honestly belive i can beat a stock LS1 (not a factory freak) to atleast the top of 3rd gear, or 96 mph or whatever it is. I have raced stock LS1 Z28's from a roll, we went from 15mph till 70mph and i was right along side of them, they were not pulling on me, not yet atleast, and then we stopped, it was a 30 mph road. Basically what im saying is, your maxima is a fast car, no doubt about that, but it is no match for a lightly modded WRX such as mine, unless we roll at 30 mph, and take it till like 110mph or something ridiculous like that. But if that guy only has 1 cat taken off, u got a pretty damn good chance, especially since u are modded pretty well. If you can pull off a 2.0-2.1 60', then i seriously think u might take him, especially since u are going to 100. If he jumps you by more than 1 car tho...u are prolly screwed. Nevertheless, i believe racing should be for fun, and it doesnt matter if u lose or win. Ive lost some, and i have won lots, but i dont think it matters that much if u win or lose, as long as u have fun . Once i raced viper in my parents van...he was atleast 50 cars ahead, but man, i had a BLAAST, hehe, my friends were all laughing, but whatever . Have fun, and tell us the results, i think it will be a great matchup.

-Bobby D

Re: Emax...

Originally posted by BobbyD
    I think you have a pretty damn good chance against that WRX. Ive seen my friends race their WRX's against cars that are supposed to be slower such as SSEI's and those cars kept right up with them cause the WRX's couldnt get a 1-2 car lead on them from the start. It all depends on what kinda start the WRX gets. I raced a corvette, 2002 6 speed, and i got a 2 car length jump on it, we stopped at the end of 3rd gear, which is 90+ and i was still about half a car ahead. The vette wasnt even really pulling, im sure if i put it into 4th, he would have slaughtered me, but he still wouldnt have caught up till 100+ i would imagine. All i have done is 2 cat's removed. WRX's are not fast in stock form, ive gotten blown away by stock Cobra's like i was standing still when i was stock. But with just those 2 mods, which cost me about 450$, i honestly belive i can beat a stock LS1 (not a factory freak) to atleast the top of 3rd gear, or 96 mph or whatever it is. I have raced stock LS1 Z28's from a roll, we went from 15mph till 70mph and i was right along side of them, they were not pulling on me, not yet atleast, and then we stopped, it was a 30 mph road. Basically what im saying is, your maxima is a fast car, no doubt about that, but it is no match for a lightly modded WRX such as mine, unless we roll at 30 mph, and take it till like 110mph or something ridiculous like that. But if that guy only has 1 cat taken off, u got a pretty damn good chance, especially since u are modded pretty well. If you can pull off a 2.0-2.1 60', then i seriously think u might take him, especially since u are going to 100. If he jumps you by more than 1 car tho...u are prolly screwed. Nevertheless, i believe racing should be for fun, and it doesnt matter if u lose or win. Ive lost some, and i have won lots, but i dont think it matters that much if u win or lose, as long as u have fun . Once i raced viper in my parents van...he was atleast 50 cars ahead, but man, i had a BLAAST, hehe, my friends were all laughing, but whatever . Have fun, and tell us the results, i think it will be a great matchup.

-Bobby D
    Very well said, hopefully the guy get's the gitters and bogs, lol. Either way like you said it is all in good fun.

I also raced a 99ish Camaro SS, this one was a convertible auto though. We raced from 0-60, he had the top down and one passenger in the car. I actualy took the guy by a nose off the line and held my lead up to 60 MPH. I would have kept going but I had technical diffucultys, lol..
    2002 6spd maxima. All motor
    13.88 @ 101.7 MPH 230WHP/230WTQ

really...thats very impressive if you stayed even with a SS camaro. Those cars are definatelly no joke. When i was stock i got my ass handed to me by a cobra, and those are about as fast as an SS. He would have for sure reeled u in after 70+, those things have higher trap speeds than me, and you. My only advantage is that i can get possibly a 1-2 car jump. But i have raced people before, and i could only get about a half a car jump on them. Whenever i read about people get 3 car jumps on LS1 cars or similar performers, i kinda shake my head. Its really damn hard to launch so well that u get 2 cars on a powerful RWD car. Unless of course, u just drop the clutch, but that isnt an option for me, i baby my transmission...i already lost one at 3000 miles. So when i slip it, i have to do it perfect to get a 1-2 car jump, or else i just barelly get a half car jump, which just sucks unless the car im racing is slower than me from a roll. After taking out the 2 Cats i can afford getting bad jumps, since my trap speed is prolly at about 100mph now, and this is without the MBC...which is sitting on my counter . If i were you, i would do some burnouts, to make your tires sticky, and then i would try to get a really good hookup, and only let the WRX get a 1/2 car lead. I believe u will reel him in if he is only half a car ahead, especially after 60+. Good luck, and dont hope he bogs, cause then its not really a fair race...a fair race is when both of you get the best launches u can get, or pretty damn near close to it, so make sure u do it a couple of times if u mess up the first few. Oh and do it soon, i really wanna know how the race goes .

Originally posted by BobbyD
    really...thats very impressive if you stayed even with a SS camaro. Those cars are definatelly no joke. When i was stock i got my ass handed to me by a cobra, and those are about as fast as an SS. He would have for sure reeled u in after 70+, those things have higher trap speeds than me, and you. My only advantage is that i can get possibly a 1-2 car jump. But i have raced people before, and i could only get about a half a car jump on them. Whenever i read about people get 3 car jumps on LS1 cars or similar performers, i kinda shake my head. Its really damn hard to launch so well that u get 2 cars on a powerful RWD car. Unless of course, u just drop the clutch, but that isnt an option for me, i baby my transmission...i already lost one at 3000 miles. So when i slip it, i have to do it perfect to get a 1-2 car jump, or else i just barelly get a half car jump, which just sucks unless the car im racing is slower than me from a roll. After taking out the 2 Cats i can afford getting bad jumps, since my trap speed is prolly at about 100mph now, and this is without the MBC...which is sitting on my counter . If i were you, i would do some burnouts, to make your tires sticky, and then i would try to get a really good hookup, and only let the WRX get a 1/2 car lead. I believe u will reel him in if he is only half a car ahead, especially after 60+. Good luck, and dont hope he bogs, cause then its not really a fair race...a fair race is when both of you get the best launches u can get, or pretty damn near close to it, so make sure u do it a couple of times if u mess up the first few. Oh and do it soon, i really wanna know how the race goes .
    I will definatly let you guys know when we race. It should be next Monday or Tuesday unless he can't make it.

BTW with a perfect launch my G-TEch pro gives me 0-60 in 5.75, I usualy average high 5's though.

I like your car Emax...

I had a 91 Maxima before my WRX. I definitely looked into replacign it with a 02, but the WRX's all wheel drive was too big of a lure for wisconsin winters. Mom's got a 99 though. I really like them.

A 0-100 race is basically a 1/4 mile for both of our cars. It'll be close, provided you both have good launches. Hope you can improve on your 0-60' if you want to beat him though.

Let us know who wins.

Originally posted by thechickencow
    I like your car Emax...

I had a 91 Maxima before my WRX. I definitely looked into replacign it with a 02, but the WRX's all wheel drive was too big of a lure for wisconsin winters. Mom's got a 99 though. I really like them.

A 0-100 race is basically a 1/4 mile for both of our cars. It'll be close, provided you both have good launches. Hope you can improve on your 0-60' if you want to beat him though.

Let us know who wins.
    Thank you.

My 60 foot at the track mostly stunk because of the track conditions. It was 40 degrees outside and if you have ever tried launching Kumho tires below 60 degrees you would know it's pretty impossible to do. Also a car there droped it's oil pan right after the tree, so traction was very hard to come by. Then to top it all off it was my first time ever at a drag strip and I did not even lower the PSI on the tires, I was running 32 PSI all around.

Once I get my headers and Y-pipe on I am going to head back to the track. If I can get my 60 foot down to 2.1 or even 2.2 I should be in the high 13's.

Originally posted by Emax02

Thank you.

My 60 foot at the track mostly stunk because of the track conditions. It was 40 degrees outside and if you have ever tried launching Kumho tires below 60 degrees you would know it's pretty impossible to do. Also a car there droped it's oil pan right after the tree, so traction was very hard to come by. Then to top it all off it was my first time ever at a drag strip and I did not even lower the PSI on the tires, I was running 32 PSI all around.

Once I get my headers and Y-pipe on I am going to head back to the track. If I can get my 60 foot down to 2.1 or even 2.2 I should be in the high 13's.
    That would be a nice time to have in such a large car. One thing though. I think you should leave your tires at their "street" PSI. I don't usually like when people take their car to the track and put slicks on, or use race gas or whatever to get better numbers on their time slip and then tell everyone that their car runs that fast. IF the car is a track car and not a daily driver it is ok of course. This is all in my own opinion of course. Others may differ in opinion.

by the way, is the maxima email list still going strong? I used to be on that, lots of good info.

Originally posted by thechickencow
    by the way, is the maxima email list still going strong? I used to be on that, lots of good info.
    I think it stopped a little while ago, I could be wrong though.

i've only spent 50 bucks on mods, so basically im stock. i'll race you. where do you live?

peace
    joe
    2002 Blue WRX w/ Factory Body Kit

-UTEC TXS Tuned @17 PSI
    -Samco Hoses
    -MRT Catless Uppipe
    -BPM 3" Turbo Back Exhaust
    -Whiteline Front and Rear Strut Bar

239.9 AWHP 246.4 AWTQ
    Graphs here:
    http://community.webshots.com/album/70782887sLVXId

Originally posted by Emax02
    I bet, but the question is, could you hang with a turboed maxima running 16 PSI? We have one at maxima .org , with 12 PSI he put down 350 FWHP and about the same amount of TQ. He is running 15 PSI last I heard.
    If I spent as much money on my car as this one, I would destroy him. In fact, give me about three months, I'll spend another $2000 in HP mods, and I'll welcome the race.

-Jim

Please do not take this the wrong way. I do like the Maxima and my family have owned 3 so far.

Now that I am finished with the disclaimer. I find it odd that Nissan rates the Maxima at 260 and the car manages to put down 198 - low 200s to the ground. Stock 5spd IS300s are rated at 217 (could be 212, I can't remember) and they typically put down anywhere between the upper 180s to 190 (some even putting down 195) to the ground.

This brings me to the next point, I think Nissan got caught up with the whole HP race and they may be over-rating their HP claims. The new SER is another example...150 to the ground for a car that was going to be rated @ 180 (later retracted to 175). The old SER was rated @ 140 (forgive me, I may be off a little) and many of them put down 120 or more in stock form.

Also, a stock wrx vs a stock maxima...I'd put my $ on the wrx (if the race was 1380 or less; distances greater than that, the max would run away). Mildly modd'd max vs modd'd wrx, I'd put my $ on the wrx. Turbo cars are cheaper to make faster, it is just that simple.

Welcome to the board, you will find that we are generally more friendly than i-club.com
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

Originally posted by All8up
    Please do not take this the wrong way. I do like the Maxima and my family have owned 3 so far.

Now that I am finished with the disclaimer. I find it odd that Nissan rates the Maxima at 260 and the car manages to put down 198 - low 200s to the ground. Stock 5spd IS300s are rated at 217 (could be 212, I can't remember) and they typically put down anywhere between the upper 180s to 190 (some even putting down 195) to the ground.

This brings me to the next point, I think Nissan got caught up with the whole HP race and they may be over-rating their HP claims. The new SER is another example...150 to the ground for a car that was going to be rated @ 180 (later retracted to 175). The old SER was rated @ 140 (forgive me, I may be off a little) and many of them put down 120 or more in stock form.

Also, a stock wrx vs a stock maxima...I'd put my $ on the wrx (if the race was 1380 or less; distances greater than that, the max would run away). Mildly modd'd max vs modd'd wrx, I'd put my $ on the wrx. Turbo cars are cheaper to make faster, it is just that simple.

Welcome to the board, you will find that we are generally more friendly than i-club.com
    Us maxima folks have been saying the same thing about the HP #'s . The 2002 maxima is rated at 255 HP though, not 260. All though we definatly got skimped in the HP department we made out like bandits with the TQ The maxima is rated at 246 TQ and we put down a tad over 220 stock.

I'm going to see if this guy is ready to race now

PlatinumWRX, i beleive it, nothing beats AWD and a stock turbo for modding.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.