Fresh Impreza schools big-block Stingray
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fresh Impreza schools big-block Stingray within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey Hey, I bought my first WRX tonight. An MY99 wagon with APS and Whiteline kits, 4"exhaust, 280hp and a ...

Fresh Impreza schools big-block Stingray

Hey Hey,

I bought my first WRX tonight. An MY99 wagon with APS and Whiteline kits, 4"exhaust, 280hp and a massive insurance bill.
    Within about ten minutes of cruising the roads, getting the feel of this beautiful machine I stop at a set of lights to see in my rear view mirror to see a fully cocked 67(?) Chevy Stingray.

I start slow, you know, minding my own business, and this dude is on my tail like I'm a sailor at Mardi Gras. Feeling a bit uncomfortable I give the rexy some, only about 60%. I'm pretty quickly slung back into my seat as I change into 3rd - with the Stingray lighting up like a death metal concert trying to take the inside lane. Its going nowhere, at the drivers door, with me taking it cool.
    So I put the foot down a little and give myself some space. At the next set of lights I take a sudden left, hoping to lose him and to my suprise he follows me.

I let him overtake, and this V8 was at about 6000 rpm and screaming - sounding much kinkier than a stock big block . The next set of lights we swing right, and I decide to take him out. He starts in front and I open up the potential and fly by him on the inside. After the intial straight the road gets curvy, and I streak ahead. I slow down and this screaming Stingray fires past me. I drop a gear and hammer through the approaching long left like I was on rails - slipping by the Stingray like it was a street sign.

I get about 4 lengths on him and stretching before I slow down.
    At the next lights he said his car was not made for cornering - but after the WRX rolled him up on the straights and smoked him, I guess the only thing he had over me was the chick pulling power of a bright red Stingray.

Geez, love the WRX, and I dont even know how to drive it yet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How do you know that it was a big block?
    How did you know that it was a 67'?

The 1967 Corvette had 2 Engines that varied in HP.

327 CID 300-375 HP

427 CID 400 - 435 HP

Road and Track Ran the 400 HP 427 to a 12.7 @ 117 and the 435 HP more like 550 plus to a 11.4 @122. No way you raced a big block. My father has a 1967 435 HP and he can smoke my 03 Cobra from a roll or the DIG. Maybe the guy had a 327 300 hp car or the he was just toying with you. A Big block 1967 will sell for 100k and above. My 02 WRX when stage 3 could not keep up with his 1967.
    Last edited by Drod; 03-10-2004 at 09:37 AM.

WRX
    I once saw a stingray run high 14's at the track all night.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

You saw a 327 cid. Limmited numbers of 427 and most owners will not risk blowing the engine at the local track.

I Support ClubWRX
    You didnt/couldnt/wouldnt pull on a big block...do you realize those BB's (L-88's) would rev to 7-8 grand. They were low 12's high 11's. Even if it is a street rod and has a 502 in there you wouldnt stand a chance. You raced a 327 or something with a 350.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I agree I prolly wasn't a Big Block...I have a 440 BB in my Dart and it is mainly stock and runs really strong in a straight line ..never been to the track with it, but if I were guessing it could pull high 12's pretty easy. Most BB Chevy, Ford or Mopar can puke up 400-500lbs of torque pretty easy and it comes on at about 2,000 rpm. This Stingray is got to be a 327 (which aren't slow) but you know when a you've been up against a big block. Just my 2 cents...cool kill tho...

"I once saw a stingray. . ."
    Please be more specific. People called tons of years of Vettes "Stingrays". Even some mid 70's models. And just because another vette of some odd year ran 14's does not mean a 67, L88 will.

Let's talk 67' Big Blocks. The 396 was not an option until 1968. The 427 is the only Big Block option. The true L88 was a Zora Duntov creation. It was a 427 with aluminum heads, 12.5:1 compression, quite a steep camshaft profile. Stock models were pulled out of vehicles and made dyno pulls at 560 horsepower at 6400 rpm and 550 foot pounds at 4000. They were mostly for racing applications, and in corvettes were minimally produced. Only 20 were produced in 1967, something like 624 in 1968 and 116 in 1969. People don't drive them on the streets. It just doesn't happen. But a 327, 40 year old engine- definitely.

03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Re: Fresh Impreza schools big-block Stingray

Originally posted by archiebrown

I let him overtake, and this V8 was at about 6000 rpm and screaming - sounding much kinkier than a stock big block . .
    What you heard was a 327. nothing sounds sweeter than a small block singin @6K
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Ok,

Looks like Ive been schooled in the forum. Thats ok, it'll prepare me for getting baked on the street.

The general consensus is that it wasnt a big block Stingray which by the sound of it would strip paint off me. I did do some research to back up my claim, and it turns out the car I raced was looked exactly like the picture I have attached.
    This is a 1970 Stingray, which (apparently) came out with 350 and 454 V8s.

Taking into account I still have my paint and a kill to boot, the version I raced must settle into the 350 category.

This all took place in Melbourne Australia, Im not American, and I only know it was a Stingray 'cause of bloody big badges on the side and tail.
    (Geez, if it werent for that, I probably would have called it a Camaro - and possibly got away with it)

There you have it, hopefully I'll know what Im up against next time any ol'skool muscle from the States has a snap at the tail of my Rex.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 70corv13862-a.jpg  

Nice kill there no matter what it was.. Those Vettes are the best looking ones in my opinion, and I am definitely not a lover of classic cars at all.

COngrats on the new car as well! Now go kill some Skyline GTR's and make us all proud!
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

I Support ClubWRX
    The Big blocks have a different hood, so I'd say you probaly ran a mild 350. The muscle cars were very overrated in the world of cars. Look at many of them and when they ran "fresh" they were in the mid 14. Some of the big blocks only ran in mid 13's. Only the very few L-88 aluminum motors, 429 cobra jets fastbacks, and maybe a great GTO would be something to Run from in stock trim. And even back in the day a Big Block would have to be rebuilt around 50-60,000 miles. You could take a srt-4 neon and run with most big block cars stock for stock. It when you start modding them that all hell break lose.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

That body style is a 68-72. There were many options in those days. 327 in the 68, 350 after that. Much more believable. There were a few Big Blocks though. And the limited big blocks of the L-88 and the ZL-1. The ZL-1 was a 454 version of the L-88. That thing was enourmous. And for a little background into corvette vocabulary, the nic name of the 68-72 was the "Maco Shark" not Stingray.
    Here is my friend Mike's 67' Quite different.

str
    My buddy has a 64 Convertible with a 67 327 engine in it. It was originialy a 4 speed but he replaced it with an auto 2 speed. It has high top end, over 150 mph but isn't that quick otherwise. If it was a 427 big block, you would have know it.
    2004 Black Forester XT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast