Fresh Impreza schools big-block Stingray - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Fresh Impreza schools big-block Stingray within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; no wonder, u raced a disco vette, 70's are slow......especially later 70's. a 67 big block would embrass you...

no wonder, u raced a disco vette, 70's are slow......especially later 70's. a 67 big block would embrass you

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by 302@12psi
    do you realize those BB's (L-88's) would rev to 7-8 grand.
    The redline on the L88 was 6500 which was super high for any factory big block. At 7000 or above a stock l88 would be leaving a trail of bottom end parts behind it Our full out race 350's we run normally cant exceed 7600 without risking damage and they are built by boutique engine builders, blueprinted and balanced with normally a $3000. 36 lb crank running honda journals. Our new engine being built this year will hopefully exceed those limitations, but I'm not letting the cat out of the bag yet

Indeed, the 427 in the 'vette was a monster. I rember watching a television show that stated that the 427 was the most powerful engine Chevy ever put in a stock car (this was a while ago, so things may have changed - or will when the new 500hp Z06 comes out).

The 454 is a different story. It was huge, but not nearly a match for the 427.

If you are talking about Chevy or Ford, 427 is a magic number.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by archiebrown
    Ok,

Looks like Ive been schooled in the forum. Thats ok, it'll prepare me for getting baked on the street.

The general consensus is that it wasnt a big block Stingray which by the sound of it would strip paint off me. I did do some research to back up my claim, and it turns out the car I raced was looked exactly like the picture I have attached.
    This is a 1970 Stingray, which (apparently) came out with 350 and 454 V8s.

Taking into account I still have my paint and a kill to boot, the version I raced must settle into the 350 category.

There you have it, hopefully I'll know what Im up against next time any ol'skool muscle from the States has a snap at the tail of my Rex.
    Wow,my nephew just bought a vette that loks just like that.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

Vettes were still Vettes throught 1972. In 73 they did away with one bumper, then in 74, the death of the vettes. That is when they turned Disco.
    The L-88 could rev up nice. Super Stock boats have to run the same set-up as the original L-88s with stock blocks, cranks, Flat Tappet cams, same compression, carbs, cubic inch and intake and they run to 7600-7800 all day long.
    Although you are right, a 40 year old one would not like those numbers.
    Trainrex, I am interested in your small blocks though. What type of heads/intake are you running that is limiting your rpm to 7600? That is odd. And which crank are you running? Winberg, Bryant, Crower or LA ent? I was just over at Craig's shop and looked over a Winberg that was 8 thou out. It was a 3.250 though. 32 pounds after PolyDyn coatings.

I Support ClubWRX
    Crower crank, in the old car, but the new car is getting something different. We are limited to 355cid, stock block, no strokers, world products heads 174cc intake and 172 exhaust. 2bbl holley, stock cast intake, 10:1, wet sump, 30lb clutch w/flywheel and bolts. So far the biggest horse at the track is putting down 480hp 475lbs. Reliability is the big thing. Some races are 200 laps, and the motor usually doesn't get torn down until 1000 laps. Anybody around there that spins more than 7600 at the end of the chute is looking for a quick rebuild. Besides, at 7600 on a 2bbl, your not doing anything but making noise . Because it isn't on a professional level, most guys can't afford a 30k motor that will spin to 8500 rpm reliably. This year we have strayed from the path. Ill give two hints. You may or may not know who these people are, but if you have heard of BSR, and Hendricks, you may know what we are up to. We are hoping for a reliable 8200 at the end of the chute. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Last edited by Trainrex; 03-11-2004 at 05:58 PM.

the best part about that story is that you had a wagon

Originally posted by Jerm95gt04WRX
    no wonder, u raced a disco vette, 70's are slow......especially later 70's. a 67 big block would embrass you
    I wouldn't call my dad's 71 LS-6 slow. 454...425hp 475tq.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12