WRX at the track
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX at the track within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just spent Tuesday at the track with my WRX Wagon. My Brother invited me to go with him, as ...

Thumbs up WRX at the track

I just spent Tuesday at the track with my WRX Wagon. My Brother invited me to go with him, as he had just bought a 2002 Saleen Mustang and the dealership he bought it at was sending all of their Saleen buyers to The Proformance Racing School for the day on them.

So there I was a Red WRX Wagon with 4 Saleen Mustangs (3 of them supercharged), a 2001 Mustang Cobra and a built 1965 Mustang fastback. A couple of the drivers were looking at my car and thinking why would I bother bringing my car to the track, especially matched up against there 375 HP Mustangs with race suspension. Now I have driven my brother's car a couple of times (he has the one with no supercharger his horsepower around 285) and the Saleens are a whole different breed of mustangs. First of all they rip out all of the suspension in a Mustang GT and replace with Race Tek equipment and than they work on the Motor.

The first part of the day was practicing driving techniques (Threshold Braking, Slalom, Collision avoidance). This part went pretty well what became abundantly clear was that the Brakes on the WRX work very well.

The second part of the day was dedicated to the track this is where I thought it might be real interesting trying to keep up with Saleens as they have stiffer suspension more HP and better wheels and tires (I have thestock 16" all-season tires on the car, my Brother onthe other hand has 18" Pirelli P-Zero on his car). Iwas hoping for wet weather that is where I felt I would have the advantage as his Car would not have as much grip in the rain as the Subaru would (The Beauty of All Wheel Drive). And my prayers were answered as it Rained on and off most of the day. The suprising part was the Brakes in the WRX it allowed me to Brake Later and hold better entry speed in the corners also the WRX handles real well.

Ok after three track sessions I had passed four different Saleens out there and no one could gain any on me. Since it was raining and went they were having me short shift and stay out of the Boost as much as possible. We were just out to learn the track where the apex was what lines to take and so forth running about 7/tenths pace or so. Iwas hitting around 100 or so on the front straight my brother around 120 or so but I would easily make up for this on the back section.

So for you guys that are taking the class on July 1 you are going to have a blast it was great. After you get thruogh this class you are eligible to sign up for afternoon lapping sessions. My brother and I are signing up for these on July 29 for any of you who want to join us.

In the end I shocked a few Saleen Owners. A little Red Wagon kicked there butts. There big Supercharged V-8's could not match a car with better brakes.

Phil
    Pacific Raceways formerly SIR

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

lol, great story! Good job man! Mustangs, heh god I hate them.
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.