2002 WRX vs 2001 M5 vs 2003 M3 vs 2003 EVO (vids inside) - Page 3
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2002 WRX vs 2001 M5 vs 2003 M3 vs 2003 EVO (vids inside) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Amir, Where did you guys film those races? I couldn't tell from the vids. Looks like your car pulls hard ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Amir,

Where did you guys film those races? I couldn't tell from the vids. Looks like your car pulls hard though.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by BDR
    links not workin!
    My friend said that he exceeded his bandwidth limit, so it got taken off. I'll be glad to send you guys the files if you can host it. Let me know, they are about 6mb each.

Thanks,

Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    Amir,

Where did you guys film those races? I couldn't tell from the vids. Looks like your car pulls hard though.
    PM'd you...

LOL....too funny....M3's don't come in automatic.

They come in 6 speed manual or 6-speed SMG (Sequential *Manual* Gearbox).

They both use the exact same 6-speed tranny and clutch, but SMG is shifted electro-hydraulically, not by using a clutch pedal.

www.m3smg.com

An automatic does not use a clutch to engage/disengage from the flywheel, it uses a torque convertor. The M3 is not available with a torque convertor.

SMG is actually faster than 6-speed manual from a roll because it shifts so quickly, whereas 6-speed manual is normally slightly faster from a stop because you can control the launch rpm easier than you can with SMG.

Why get SMG? I guess that fact that it's the most technologically advanced, not to mention fastest, gearbox you can buy in a street car might have something to do with it.

Amazing the amount of ignorance that resides on the internet.

Originally posted by BassMan097
    even better...the auto m3's are slow...

Originally posted by M-phibian

Hey there,
    Welcome to the club, glad to see you made it over from the BMW forums. You'll notice that we're car enthusiasts that appreciate many different types of automobiles, not just WRX's.

Look around a little bit and see what we have to offer..and once again, nice to have you here!
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Re: 2002 WRX vs 2001 M5 vs 2003 M3 vs 2003 EVO (vids inside)

Originally posted by AWD Turbo 4
    THE LINK IS CURRENTLY DOWN/// I NEED SOME ONE TO HOST IT.
    I have space, PM me or hit me up on aim.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

Why get SMG? I guess that fact that it's the most technologically advanced, not to mention fastest, gearbox you can buy in a street car might have something to do with it.

Id say audis twin clutch DSG is the most technologicly advanced tranny and going by what im reading its FASTER than the BMW SMG. yes it is amazing the amount of ignorance that resides on the internet .
    dont have a wrx.......yet
    I dont care how many stewerdesses you've bagged I still think your a lousy pilot ( if you know what show thats from i owe you a cookie)
    Onion horoscope of the week:Pisces: (Feb. 19óMarch 20)
    The stars foretell your life continuing in much the way it always has for the next few months.

Originally posted by joethesajin
    Id say audis twin clutch DSG is the most technologicly advanced tranny and going by what im reading its FASTER than the BMW SMG. yes it is amazing the amount of ignorance that resides on the internet .
    You are correct sir. The audi trans that will be in vw's and porsche's as well is indeed the most technoligically advanced trans on the market. Why they are putting it in the tt and vr6 vw's is beyond me, but whatever. And M-Phibian, that SMG is for *****'s. If you have two hands on the wheel when you're shifting, its a fu%king automatic. I'm sorry you spoiled little rich boys want to go fast and cant drive manual, but please dont try and say its manual. I think your post was filled with a little bitterness that a $25k 4 cyl beat that overpriced, pig of a sh*tbox m3. Welcome to the boards friend. Take your arrogance somewhere else...
    Last edited by BassMan097; 03-28-2004 at 11:27 AM.
    2004 R32: 220 whp

For Sale: 2003 wrx
    376 whp @ 22 psi, 93 octane

Pics:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/badassrex

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Trailboss
    Hey there,
    Welcome to the club, glad to see you made it over from the BMW forums. You'll notice that we're car enthusiasts that appreciate many different types of automobiles, not just WRX's.

Look around a little bit and see what we have to offer..and once again, nice to have you here!
    Very good.

Let's see everyone do that, mmk?
    2010 SSM STI

Re: Re: 2002 WRX vs 2001 M5 vs 2003 M3 vs 2003 EVO (vids inside)

Originally posted by SERacing
    I have space, PM me or hit me up on aim.
    I have all the vids on my computer, I can send it over aim tonight. let me know ..

Thanks,

Like I said, ignorance abounds on the 'net. I'll explain Audi's DSG system for you:

Audi's DSG is a one clutch system on a current gear, and another clutch system on the ANTICIPATED next gear. One clutch system is responsible for gears 1, 3, 5, and R. The other clutch system is for gears 2, 4, and 6. (One clutch system cannot go consecutive gears.) As one clutch releases the gear, the other engages...thus, smoothness, and no drop in RPM as you go from one gear to the next...acceleration will improve. Shifting is indeed faster (twice that of S6 in SMG). Good stuff.

With SMG, you have just one clutch system (just like a regular manual tranny). It moves from gear to gear depending on your shifting. No guessing needed. It will shift to whatever gear you choose...similar to a manual tranny. Also good stuff.

Audi's DSG system does have one BIG problem/flaw. This was discussed in AUTOMOBILE magazine a while back.

For example, you're cruising at 40 mph in 4th gear and you want to pass someone (opening in traffic). With BMW SMG, you just downshift and accelerate. With Audi's DSG system, the SECOND clutch is expecting you to UPshift (to 5th gear). Thus, when you downshift (unexpectedly!!), the Audi system will take a VERY LONG TIME as the second clutch system must disengage the top gear so that it can then engage the lower gear (thus, going from 5th gear to 3rd gear). This is much slower than the simpler SMG. When Audi's DSG is confused like this, the gear changes are actually even slower than S1 on SMG. Basically, your body will be in limbo for a while before the gear change takes place...major lurching.

This flaw with Audi's DSG will make it a liability on the track.

Conclusion: Audi system will be better from a stop (stoplight acceleration; quicker upshifts) and normal driving (smoother; less drop in acceleration during shifts). HOWEVER, if you're an aggressive driver like myself, SMG is better because the computer is not guessing your next move...YOU decide what gear to pick next (just like a manual tranny).

Hope this helped.

Originally posted by joethesajin
    Last edited by M-phibian; 03-28-2004 at 01:54 PM.

First off, I'm not young, rich or spoiled. I'm also not small. But it seems from your post that you may be a bit insecure and a little wanting.

As far as my ability to drive a manual, I've been driving them all my life. I drove one when I was Autocrossing my little Datsun 510 back in the late 80's, as well as drag-racing my '66 Chevelle in the same decade. To be perfectly honest, I have no doubt that I could outdrive you in your own car. Now wouldn't that be embarrassing.

As far as you not understanding what constitutes an automatic transmission, that's your problem, not mine.

I guess Schumacher and Montoya will be surprised when they learn from the all knowledgable BassMan that they've been racing "automatics" all this time. LOL

As far as my car losing to a $25k 4-cylinder...I'm not really sure what you mean since I've never raced a 25k 4-cylinder in my M3.

However, there is a $8k Mustang LX down the street from my house that runs 11's. So I guess following your logic the fact that his car can destroy yours means your car is a sh1tbox? Okay, sounds good to me.

Originally posted by BassMan097
    You are correct sir. The audi trans that will be in vw's and porsche's as well is indeed the most technoligically advanced trans on the market. Why they are putting it in the tt and vr6 vw's is beyond me, but whatever. And M-Phibian, that SMG is for *****'s. If you have two hands on the wheel when you're shifting, its a fu%king automatic. I'm sorry you spoiled little rich boys want to go fast and cant drive manual, but please dont try and say its manual. I think your post was filled with a little bitterness that a $25k 4 cyl beat that overpriced, pig of a sh*tbox m3. Welcome to the boards friend. Take your arrogance somewhere else...
    Last edited by M-phibian; 03-28-2004 at 01:52 PM.

Hi Trailboss. Thank you for the warm welcome. Looks like a few of your folk don't like the fact that I corrected them IRT their incorrect statments that the M3 comes in an automatic version.

Sorry about that.

Please keep in mind that anything I say that may come across as rude will only be in direct response to the rudeness from some of your other members.

I'm all about playing nice, but it seems that some of your guys are not.

Originally posted by Trailboss
    Hey there,

Hey,
    Not to worry. I think coming over here and starting your first post by flaming our members might have rubbed some of them the wrong way, but I'm glad we avoided a confrontation here.

Any pics/specs of what you're driving?

Hi Trailboss. Thank you for the warm welcome. Looks like a few of your folk don't like the fact that I corrected them IRT their incorrect statments that the M3 comes in an automatic version.

Sorry about that.

Please keep in mind that anything I say that may come across as rude will only be in direct response to the rudeness from some of your other members.

I'm all about playing nice, but it seems that some of your guys are not.
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

So M... what model/color/mods do you have?
    All show and no go . . .
    Your car looks fast, but why's it so slo.

2002 WR blue WRX (RIP)
    2001 Imola Red BMW M Coupe (sold... )

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.